Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
Fotan

When you get the cards can you please report to us if the preview images display faster than with other cards you have used. I have the 32G transcend class 10 and it is dog slow on previews
Eh.... it's FoNtan, not Fotan.

03-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Transcend class 10 card is rated at supposedly 20mb/s read and 16mb/s write speed. The Sandisk cards usually are faster than the class performance minimums. Sandisk had for a short time Extreme 30mb/s cards before the class 10 standard came out. Then they were bumped to class 10 ratings. I hope that helps!
03-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The theng ain't bad, I would say.
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys - first post.
I just purchased the 645D firmware v1.02 (liking it heaps). I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC I 45MB/s.
It takes 10-11 seconds for the data to transfer (48mb dng+17mb jpg) onto card. And when using longer focal lengths or slower shutter speed that require mirror up + 2 sec delay timer you could be looking at a min of 15sec per shot. And I can squeeze out 6-7 shots in burst mode before slowing for card writing. I do hope to they upgrade this write speed.

04-20-2011, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill Bailey Quote
I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC I 45MB/s.
It takes 10-11 seconds for the data to transfer (48mb dng+17mb jpg) onto card. And when using longer focal lengths or slower shutter speed that require mirror up + 2 sec delay timer you could be looking at a min of 15sec per shot. And I can squeeze out 6-7 shots in burst mode before slowing for card writing. I do hope to they upgrade this write speed.
That is not to be expected. The slowest thing is probably the PRIME II processor. That data you'r talking about probably takes 4 seconds of actual writing in your camera and the rest is processing. My guess is that you have turned on lenscorrections in camera making it slower in processing.
04-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is not to be expected. The slowest thing is probably the PRIME II processor. That data you'r talking about probably takes 4 seconds of actual writing in your camera and the rest is processing. My guess is that you have turned on lenscorrections in camera making it slower in processing.
Hi Ron,
Your absolutely right - I had Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj checked. Unchecking it cut the time down from 11 to 4 seconds - much more enjoyable. Do you suppose this feature is really needed when using Pentax glass? Many thanks for the tip.
Bill
04-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Hi Ron,
Your absolutely right - I had Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj checked. Unchecking it cut the time down from 11 to 4 seconds - much more enjoyable. Do you suppose this feature is really needed when using Pentax glass? Many thanks for the tip.
Bill
Well on my K-5 I only use incamera lenscorrections (distortion and CA) for my (ultra) wide-angle lenses (14mm and 21mm). So there isn't much use for others and you can do the correction also in post processing.

Now you should be able to run more pictures before the buffer is full.

Making it quicker is possible (I think) in putting RAW in one slot and Jpg in the other one.
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #23

Well on my K-5 I only use incamera lenscorrections (distortion and CA) for my (ultra) wide-angle lenses (14mm and 21mm). So there isn't much use for others and you can do the correction also in post processing. Now you should be able to run more pictures before the buffer is full.
Making it quicker is possible (I think) in putting RAW in one slot and Jpg in the other one.
hmm - I shoot as wide as possible for multi shot panoramas current 8mm-14mm with Nikon and looking for the widest Pentax possible for my 645D. I also shoot longer (250mm+) for images composites that would be anywhere from 1000 images to 4000+. A weekend project could see me shooting from to 10,000 to 15,000 images. I heard the 645D will go about 50,000 for shutter life so a few projects and time for repair. When doing these composites it'll be jpeg only which will give me even quicker write speeds.

Bill

04-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

hmm - I shoot as wide as possible for multi shot panoramas current 8mm-14mm with Nikon and looking for the widest Pentax possible for my 645D. I also shoot longer (250mm+) for images composites that would be anywhere from 1000 images to 4000+. A weekend project could see me shooting from to 10,000 to 15,000 images. I heard the 645D will go about 50,000 for shutter life so a few projects and time for repair. When doing these composites it'll be jpeg only which will give me even quicker write speeds.

Bill
wow those numbers are pretty high. Well you will be the first to tell everyone if the shutter lives on beyond 50.000 actuations or will die early. It is just a garantuee and nothing more.

Well the new 25mm lens is your lens I guess. That lens is when you compare to a full frame Nikon the same as a 20mm lens. What lenses do you have allready? If you go a little longer you won't have as much distortion from the lens. there are 300mm and 600mm lenses availeble for 645D.
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #25

wow those numbers are pretty high. Well you will be the first to tell everyone if the shutter lives on beyond 50.000 actuations or will die early. It is just a garantuee and nothing more.

Well the new 25mm lens is your lens I guess. That lens is when you compare to a full frame Nikon the same as a 20mm lens. What lenses do you have allready? If you go a little longer you won't have as much distortion from the lens. there are 300mm and 600mm lenses availeble for 645D.
Hey Ron,
Guess this is going off topic (sorry folks) but the 25mm isn't wide enough for doing 360x180 degree panoramas without having to shoot 2 dozen+ shots. Ideally the wider FOV (as with fisheye lens) the less work in the field to capture the image. I just bought Hasselblad 30mm 3.5 F-Distagon T* CF Fisheye lens with adapter to fit 645D. A bit pricy but if near the 180 degree circular FOV with the quality glass it should work. This is sample of work using Nikon D700/10.5mm Nikkor lens: http://www.circularworlds.com/panos/cosmo2.html.
This 4 shot image was taken from the 31st floors of Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. You can see the need for some serious glass. They comp'd us a weekend stay for another attempt but this time from the 61st floor which we'll do next weekend. I'll be doing a composite gigapixel image at 300mm focal length using the SMC Pentax-FA 645 150-300mm lens. I would like to eventually go beyond 300mm. Because I would have to manually release the shutter my first gigapixel composite with 645D will most likely be 500-1000 images (baby steps).

To give you an idea here's a recent gigapixel photo image I did from Cosmopolitan Vegas using the Nikon D3x at 400mm.
gigapan: Las Veags from 31st floor of Cosmopolitan
It is comprised of 3,268 images with total image size of 11.85 gigapixels. This is equal to a print 110 feet x 33.4 feet. IMO it's a garbage image (first to admit) due to auto focus jumping around and not locking it, but after seeing other attempts in Las Vegas it is actually one of the better ones. Now picture this same image shot using the Pentax 645D using Pentax Glass.

If all goes well and weather holds this will be largest image every shot with 645D and also the largest photo from the Cosmopolitan Vegas - great PR for all.

Bill
04-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #26
Pentaxian

If all goes well and weather holds this will be largest image every shot with 645D and also the largest photo from the Cosmopolitan Vegas - great PR for all.

Bill
Wow first of all You get a creditpoint for this.

As with all, these take praktice to get better, but I think this is wonderful.

I see why you want 645D, because you can't even see what those people have on their plates at the restaurant

To much wideangle and you will loos all your detail.

I don't think that Hasselblad lens will give you the same angle. The sensor in 645D is smaller then original 645-film size and thus you will loose parts of your image. If that lens is 180 degrees in diagonal (wich my quick findings are) it is a diagonal of some 125 (or a little less depending on calculation) degrees on 645D due to smaller sensor (it is the same for all smaller sized sensors in different brands).

I just sold my Arsat 30mm fisheye, wich was also a 6x6 lens https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/135403-...r-fisheye.html
So you probably loose most of the fisheye, but that is for your purpose of stitching them together the best option. The Hasselblad lens will probably have better optical quality (I think).

I have my doubt about this Hasselblad if it will work since it has a leafshutter in the lens and I don't know wheater this will be activated.