Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
645D and Arsat 30mm/f3.5 rectangular fisheye

Today there was a Medium Format day at FotoKonijnenberg in Turnhout in Belgium. This is one of the two dealerships that I know of that carries 645D in Belgium and The Netherlands. So I made an appointment (together with Frederick) to go see and feel the 645D. Took with me this fisheye lens that I picked-up last year from a 645-user. It is with 645 Pentax mount, so it just fits in perfectly on the 645D, only no contact between body and lens. Wasn't really good in the focussing, because just to excited about it all for the moment.

You can read something about the lens: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/arstat-30mm.shtml
This is Frederik

Not the best picture, because I didn't focus good enough, so there is no way to see how well the lens can still perform. My guess it is not the worlds best lens for 645D.

Here is a liitle view of what the fisheye can do. I think we have to wait for a bigger sensor to see what the fisheye can do, because just at the edges it is starting to give it's glory. Original it is for 6x7 or something.

And a detail for pixelpeepers:

If you like here is the full Jpeg to download:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20195454/645D/NIDF8097.JPG

It is a nice future for the 645D and with good selection some nice things are possible.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-04-2011 at 06:24 AM.
03-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not the most flattering portrait lens, but the OOF rendering is surprisingly good. And that red/blue CA is easily cleaned up in ACR, decent performance.
03-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the bokeh of this lens.
Corrected link : Arsat 30mm review.
03-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I like the bokeh of this lens.
Corrected link : Arsat 30mm review.
Thanks, corrected it also in openingpost.

The lens is also really cheap, less then 300 euro's I think.

03-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A nice little beast !

For those who are interrested, don't forget the Pentacon-Six to P645 converter...
03-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #6

Yeah, i got me one of these. Original is for 6x6 image circle, notably the pentacon-six mount and the old kiev 88 screw mount. I don't have an example but mounted on my "fullframe" 645n, it does give a more pronounced fisheye distortion than as seen on second picture.

Nice thing about the pentax 645n is it meters without contacts, stopped down, so pairing all the pentacon-six mount lenses has been no problem. I suppose the 645D didn't give you any such trouble either. I know for one thing the contax 645 doesn't meter with these mounted on.
03-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Nice thing about the pentax 645n is it meters without contacts, stopped down, so pairing all the pentacon-six mount lenses has been no problem. I suppose the 645D didn't give you any such trouble either.
yes it works perfect with metering on 645D. It's the same as a 42-screwmount on my K-5, it meters the light that gets true with the diafragmablades partial closed (I think this was f11) on this sunny moment.

If it is for 6x6 that has a diagonal off 85mm and 645D has 55mm, so here it isn't 180 degrees on diagonal, but 116 degrees leving a big chunk off the fisheye out off the picture. Still a big angle.

03-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First photo looks crazy sharp in the center. I'm surprised the DOF is so narrow.
03-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Cool
I'm now on the hunt for an Arsat 30mm for my 645D.

Found the lens on one site, but they're out of adapters.
Found the adapter and lens on another site - but they're not answering e-mails asking if both items are actually in stock.

As soon as I find an adapter, or lens with 645 adapter I"m getting one for sure.
03-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
Cool
I'm now on the hunt for an Arsat 30mm for my 645D.
Found the lens on one site, but they're out of adapters.
Found the adapter and lens on another site - but they're not answering e-mails asking if both items are actually in stock.
I decided about a week ago to take a flier and order both the Arsat 30mm and a Pentax 645 adapter from the Rugift site (Russian Cameras, Lenses and other optics). I had emails yesterday and today to confirm they have shipped.

So far, so good.
03-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take care of the version of the lens. There is a Zodiac 8B, Arsat and MC Arsat. As stated on pentaconsix site :

QuoteQuote:
This Arsenal lens was marketed for many years with the name “Zodiak-8B”. With the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Arsenal re-branded its lenses “Arsat”, and this lens is no exception. For a number of years, the “Arsat” version was almost identical with the original Zodiak – same hard case, same single coating, and just a few cosmetic changes, such as the design of the focussing ring surface. But with the newest version of the Arsat 30mm lens there is one major – and important! – difference: the new version is Multi-Coated.
You can clearly see the difference of non-MC and MC :

On the MC Arsat the reflects are greenish :

03-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgpaterson2000 Quote
I decided about a week ago to take a flier and order both the Arsat 30mm and a Pentax 645 adapter from the Rugift site (Russian Cameras, Lenses and other optics). I had emails yesterday and today to confirm they have shipped.

So far, so good.
Hope it all goes well and looks like I might bite the bullet and order one soon.

One question though - did you have to order/buy the adapter separately?
The description says "If you purchase a special adapter, you can use this lens with cameras: ....." but it also has "Please ask for the adapter by e-mail"
03-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
Inactive Account

If someone want russian Pentacon 6 or other lens, I can help to find here. Only 2 problems - my PayPal cant recieved money (dont know why but write - not for russian accounts) and need EMS shipping, regular post work very bad.
O, this is site of fabrik makes Kiev and Arsat and other lens. They work now too, in Ukraine, and sale new Arsats.
http://www.araxphoto.com/lenses/

Last edited by YoU-PiteR; 03-11-2011 at 01:36 AM.
03-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
One question though - did you have to order/buy the adapter separately?
The description says "If you purchase a special adapter, you can use this lens with cameras: ....." but it also has "Please ask for the adapter by e-mail"
I ordered both at the same time then emailed to say what I had done, and to ask for both items in the same package, though I still had to pay both postal charges. They emailed to say the orders had been received then a day later to say they would ship "in 1-2 days".

I'm still holding my breath but if the lens is adequate, together with distortion-removing software, this may be a route to avoid having to spend £3800 on the 25mm Pentax lens.
03-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Take care of the version of the lens. There is a Zodiac 8B, Arsat and MC Arsat. As stated on pentaconsix site :
You can clearly see the difference of non-MC and MC :
On the MC Arsat the reflects are greenish :
On the Rugift site you can see that the lens no longer carries the title "MC Arsat", just "Arsat". However, the lens is described in at least two places on the site as "multi-coated".