Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

finally!

well my professor told me if I wanted to print larger and get the same quality print I would need a medium format camera. So today I picked up a 645 with a 75mm and a f/4 200mm for 400$

I thought it was a decent buy Im only shooting in black and white for now but I should have some prints by wed. are there any tricks I should know about these cameras?

03-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on your new brick. I picked up a similar system last fall for about the same reasons. I've added the A45, A55, A150 and an A80-160 zoom to that mix. The 55 is the odd man out in that mix. Regardless, I'm not at that stage where I can impart any tricks with this but I will say that it took me some time to get the operation of the functions down. It's not hard one just has to practice.

Mine had a loose diopter which always needed adjustment. I've had the camera cleaned and the tech also replaced the foam on the mirror. In the process they tightened up the diopter and it is much more constant.

This is a slow deliberate camera. I've stuck with 120 film mostly as the rolls are shorter and I get to see my images sooner. I find that 220 roles are more than I can shoot in one use. I've just started self developing film again. It's fun with this format.

One tip is that when I've gotten commercial processing on film, I've had them produce a CD with the images. That's been a big time saver as I've had inconsistent results with my negative scanner on 645 images. There are better ones out there but that's not in the cards yet.

You will love the rich images this produces but you just don't bang way like a DSLR. Have fun, it's a great camera.
03-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tips and tricks? Mirror lock-up and a very nice, sturdy tripod for the weight is all I got. I used both a Mamiya 67 and 645 to try out medium format. The 67 showed me the benefits of having a well suited tripod, as it nearly killed the light weight one I had at the start.

Have fun! I remember three or four years ago thinking I would not get a DSLR but rather a Bronica 6x6. Unfortunately, they just weren't abundant enough or at the right price...
03-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks you. Just wondering because there is no cassette when I take the roll out I is there some special way to do it or do you just take it out and tape up the film?

03-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The original 645 doesn't have mirror lockup or a self timer. For long exposures on a tripod the camera does fine with a release cord.

For finished rolls I've been using the tape supplied on the film and then wrapping an elastic around the roll for insurance. Some of my expired film has very weak adhesive on the built in tape/glue.
03-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
The original 645 doesn't have mirror lockup or a self timer. For long exposures on a tripod the camera does fine with a release cord.

For finished rolls I've been using the tape supplied on the film and then wrapping an elastic around the roll for insurance. Some of my expired film has very weak adhesive on the built in tape/glue.
I took the roll out with one exposure left do you think most of the film is okay it was taken out in low lighting. Im
03-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
I took the roll out with one exposure left do you think most of the film is okay it was taken out in low lighting. Im
Whoa there.... not a good idea to open the back without finishing the roll,the paper backing over your neg strip is meant to seal off the roll from any more light & may cause problems if not wound fully onto your take-up spool.(You may have some unwanted exposure.)
I`ve used same method described above by Steinback(paper tape on roll plus elastic band),...... hope you enjoy your 645, I`ve had Mamiya & Bronica models , great format!!!
Best of luck ..... keep clickin`

03-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #8

I must say the price of those 645s sure have risen in the past 3 years. I bought a 645n with a 120 back for something like 250$ and the 75mm FA for 50$ 3 years ago. Ever since the 645D was announced, people started hoarding lenses. It'd be a good time for me to sell... Naww, i'm just gonna keep it.

QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
The tailing backing paper makes a couple of revolutions around for it to be safe. I'd say you're gonna be losing at least the last frame, probably the one before it too.
03-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
o well at least I didn't loose the whole roll or so we think. But I need to go horrid some film. Im going to be going through rolls faster then I think
03-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
The original 645 doesn't have mirror lockup or a self timer.
The 645N does not have mirror lock up either, but does have the self timer. As far as I know, the former is not necessary (or at least not with the lenses I shoot, up to 300mm). The 645NII does have it.
A self-timer is very very handy though.
03-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
The mirror lock up im not to worried about. Or the self timer. do you guys recommend any film I've always used tmax 400, but I got some tri x 400 and some tmax 100 from b&h. I hate not being able to shoot because of not having film.lol
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #12

Only B&W? My fav would be Fuji ACROS.
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Only B&W? My fav would be Fuji ACROS.
And on the other side of the red/blue sensitivity scale...Rollei Retro 80s...

Steve

(Am currently shooting Acros 100 with my view camera...The Rollei stuff is too expensive!)

(Explanation...Acros 100 is sometimes referred to as orthopanchromatic, meaning that it has extended blue light sensitivity. This has ramifications when shooting landscape (very light skies) and portraits (tends to amplify skin imperfections). On the other hand, Acros 100 has incredible reciprocity characteristics allowing exposures of several seconds without having to adjust from the meter reading. RR 80s on the other hand has extended red light sensitivity and reduced blue. This tends to darken skies and even out skin tones, but with somewhat unpredictable results for intensely blue objects.)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-06-2011 at 08:12 PM.
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(Explanation...Acros 100 is sometimes referred to as orthopanchromatic, meaning that it has extended blue light sensitivity. This has ramifications when shooting landscape (very light skies)
Ah then that is why it looks so much better with a yellow filter, I think that it is also the case for Efke 25.

Cheers,

Luc
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Ah then that is why it looks so much better with a yellow filter, I think that it is also the case for Efke 25.

Cheers,

Luc
That is why I use a Wratten #12 (minus blue...like a deep yellow, but more selective) when shooting landscape with Acros 100.

Steve