Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #1

v1.0.2 software for 645D

New software released for 645D (also for K5 on another page):

Latest 645D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

03-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Opens the link, hoping, prayig for something that looks like tethering .........

- When processing Noise Reduction after long exposure, remaining time is displayed on LCD panel
- When mode dial is set to “X”, Flash X-Sync Speed can be set by custom function menu.
- When connecting to a computer via the USB cable, recognized Disk name is changed from [Removable Disk] to [645D].
- If format SD memory card, volume label will be [645D].
- After mirror lock-up, extended standby time (until mirror automatically return to original position) from approximate 1 minute to 5 minutes
If Auto Power Off setting is shorter than 5 minutes, Auto Power Off setting has priority.

Bugger no tethering.

If custom setting the X-sync speed means setting it higher than 1/125th that'll be cool - will have to have a play with this tonight.

Thanks for the heads-up.
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Custom setting of the X-sync speed is still limited to 1/125th ...... bugger

Did the update last night and now when in X mode you can go into the menu, custom settings and there's a new item to set the X-sync speed to either 1/125th, 1/100th, 1/60th or 1/30th of a second.

I can still "cheat" for higher sync speeds using the Metz 48 AF-1 flash and HSS, but would have been nice to be able to just use a trigger or sync cable instead of the flash.
03-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
Custom setting of the X-sync speed is still limited to 1/125th ...... bugger
You're limited by the physics of a big honking mechanical sliding shutter...

03-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You're limited by the physics of a big honking mechanical sliding shutter...
No - no I'm not.

With the Metz 48 AF-1 flash set to HSS and mounted on the hotshoe, the fastest I've gone so far is 1/1600th of a second with no black sidebars that you see with out of sync pics.

I've put a bounce card on backwards so no light from the flash affects the image, but there's enough light that the optical trigger in the Bowens Monoblocs I have will fire and I've shot using the Bowens at 1/250th no worries. Will try faster with the Bowens lights when I get a chance and have something better than the potplant in the end room where I keep all my gear as the subject.

Camera set to manual, F8 and 1/250th
Metz flash set to HSS
Bowens 500W strobe set with cell "on" ..... all works fine.

The only limitation there is the re-cycle time of the flash - so being able to use the sync socket would be much better.

Pics look fine - unless you looked at the exif there's no way to tell the images were taken at a higher shutter speed.
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

No - no I'm not.

Actually, yes you are, HSS cheats the sync speed by pulsing the flash. The actual sync speed is physically limited to how fast the shutter runs.
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, yes you are, HSS cheats the sync speed by pulsing the flash. The actual sync speed is physically limited to how fast the shutter runs.
If I still get a properly exposed shot using a higher than 1/125th shutter speed - how's that being limited (other than the aforementioned flash re-charge time)?

The camera might be limited by certain restrictions - but my point was that I'm not limited or restricted when using that cheat/work around (flash re-charge time not included ).

Last edited by Warped; 03-10-2011 at 10:06 PM.
03-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #8

It is limited because Studio Strobes cannot pulse for High Speed Sync.

I believe the new pocket wizards can be setup to pre-fire the strobe to give you one extra stop...however I think this is limited to Canon and Nikon cameras only. Don't quote me on any of this

If you have a leaf shutter lens then you can go as high as the lens allows...but I have no clue if the Pentax 645 Leaf lenses are supported on the 645D. If they work it would be worth investing in one of those. If I find out that they work I will be purchasing the 75mm version. Manual Focus is not fun with studio shooting but if you take your time it can be easily done
03-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
but I have no clue if the Pentax 645 Leaf lenses are supported on the 645D. If they work
They work on 645D.
In the same way as on the film camera.
As for me - 135/4 is more interesting for portraits.
03-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Really! That's awesome news. I will start looking for these lenses. Thanks
03-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If I still get a properly exposed shot using a higher than 1/125th shutter speed - how's that being limited (other than the aforementioned flash re-charge time)?

The camera might be limited by certain restrictions - but my point was that I'm not limited or restricted when using that cheat/work around (flash re-charge time not included ).
Well, I've lost track of what you were complaining about then.
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, I've lost track of what you were complaining about then.
My gripe is having to use the flash. Makes the whole set-up bigger and heavier and slows things down. One more thing to go wrong, another set of batteries needed, slower re-charge time waiting for the flash .......etc

There's my work around and/or combined with leaf lenses you can shoot at speeds the 645D isn't meant too with strobe/flash - but it would be great to just plug in the sync cable or whack on a transmitter/trigger and off I go.
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

My gripe is having to use the flash. Makes the whole set-up bigger and heavier and slows things down. One more thing to go wrong, another set of batteries needed, slower re-charge time waiting for the flash .......etc

There's my work around and/or combined with leaf lenses you can shoot at speeds the 645D isn't meant too with strobe/flash - but it would be great to just plug in the sync cable or whack on a transmitter/trigger and off I go.
So you really want a higher sync speed?
In which case you are right back to a hardware limitation, that being the physical sync speed of the shutter.
03-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Camera set to manual, F8 and 1/250th
Metz flash set to HSS
Bowens 500W strobe set with cell "on" ..... all works fine.

The only limitation there is the re-cycle time of the flash - so being able to use the sync socket would be much better.

Pics look fine - unless you looked at the exif there's no way to tell the images were taken at a higher shutter speed.
Is the ambient light in your studio so strong that you need a higher snyc?

Is the Bowens 500 a Gemini 500c/500r or Pro?
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #15

I was wondering the same thing.

1/125 is not great, but its not terrible (I do not miss the days of 1/60). Maybe he likes to shoot wide open?

When I am doing studio shots I almost always expose for 1/125 at f8-f16. Then again he maybe shooting models jumping up and down.

For outdoor shots I just do HSS when its needed...and this is rare since I employ reflectors and rarely shoot in bright sunlight