Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
v1.0.2 software for 645D

New software released for 645D (also for K5 on another page):

Latest 645D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

03-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 351
Opens the link, hoping, prayig for something that looks like tethering .........

- When processing Noise Reduction after long exposure, remaining time is displayed on LCD panel
- When mode dial is set to “X”, Flash X-Sync Speed can be set by custom function menu.
- When connecting to a computer via the USB cable, recognized Disk name is changed from [Removable Disk] to [645D].
- If format SD memory card, volume label will be [645D].
- After mirror lock-up, extended standby time (until mirror automatically return to original position) from approximate 1 minute to 5 minutes
If Auto Power Off setting is shorter than 5 minutes, Auto Power Off setting has priority.

Bugger no tethering.

If custom setting the X-sync speed means setting it higher than 1/125th that'll be cool - will have to have a play with this tonight.

Thanks for the heads-up.
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 351
Custom setting of the X-sync speed is still limited to 1/125th ...... bugger

Did the update last night and now when in X mode you can go into the menu, custom settings and there's a new item to set the X-sync speed to either 1/125th, 1/100th, 1/60th or 1/30th of a second.

I can still "cheat" for higher sync speeds using the Metz 48 AF-1 flash and HSS, but would have been nice to be able to just use a trigger or sync cable instead of the flash.
03-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
Custom setting of the X-sync speed is still limited to 1/125th ...... bugger
You're limited by the physics of a big honking mechanical sliding shutter...

03-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 351
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You're limited by the physics of a big honking mechanical sliding shutter...
No - no I'm not.

With the Metz 48 AF-1 flash set to HSS and mounted on the hotshoe, the fastest I've gone so far is 1/1600th of a second with no black sidebars that you see with out of sync pics.

I've put a bounce card on backwards so no light from the flash affects the image, but there's enough light that the optical trigger in the Bowens Monoblocs I have will fire and I've shot using the Bowens at 1/250th no worries. Will try faster with the Bowens lights when I get a chance and have something better than the potplant in the end room where I keep all my gear as the subject.

Camera set to manual, F8 and 1/250th
Metz flash set to HSS
Bowens 500W strobe set with cell "on" ..... all works fine.

The only limitation there is the re-cycle time of the flash - so being able to use the sync socket would be much better.

Pics look fine - unless you looked at the exif there's no way to tell the images were taken at a higher shutter speed.
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,065
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
No - no I'm not.

Actually, yes you are, HSS cheats the sync speed by pulsing the flash. The actual sync speed is physically limited to how fast the shutter runs.
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 351
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, yes you are, HSS cheats the sync speed by pulsing the flash. The actual sync speed is physically limited to how fast the shutter runs.
If I still get a properly exposed shot using a higher than 1/125th shutter speed - how's that being limited (other than the aforementioned flash re-charge time)?

The camera might be limited by certain restrictions - but my point was that I'm not limited or restricted when using that cheat/work around (flash re-charge time not included ).

Last edited by Warped; 03-10-2011 at 10:06 PM.
03-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 164
It is limited because Studio Strobes cannot pulse for High Speed Sync.

I believe the new pocket wizards can be setup to pre-fire the strobe to give you one extra stop...however I think this is limited to Canon and Nikon cameras only. Don't quote me on any of this

If you have a leaf shutter lens then you can go as high as the lens allows...but I have no clue if the Pentax 645 Leaf lenses are supported on the 645D. If they work it would be worth investing in one of those. If I find out that they work I will be purchasing the 75mm version. Manual Focus is not fun with studio shooting but if you take your time it can be easily done

03-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Forum Member
managger's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Moscow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
but I have no clue if the Pentax 645 Leaf lenses are supported on the 645D. If they work
They work on 645D.
In the same way as on the film camera.
As for me - 135/4 is more interesting for portraits.
03-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 164
Really! That's awesome news. I will start looking for these lenses. Thanks
03-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,065
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
If I still get a properly exposed shot using a higher than 1/125th shutter speed - how's that being limited (other than the aforementioned flash re-charge time)?

The camera might be limited by certain restrictions - but my point was that I'm not limited or restricted when using that cheat/work around (flash re-charge time not included ).
Well, I've lost track of what you were complaining about then.
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 351
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, I've lost track of what you were complaining about then.
My gripe is having to use the flash. Makes the whole set-up bigger and heavier and slows things down. One more thing to go wrong, another set of batteries needed, slower re-charge time waiting for the flash .......etc

There's my work around and/or combined with leaf lenses you can shoot at speeds the 645D isn't meant too with strobe/flash - but it would be great to just plug in the sync cable or whack on a transmitter/trigger and off I go.
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,065
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
My gripe is having to use the flash. Makes the whole set-up bigger and heavier and slows things down. One more thing to go wrong, another set of batteries needed, slower re-charge time waiting for the flash .......etc

There's my work around and/or combined with leaf lenses you can shoot at speeds the 645D isn't meant too with strobe/flash - but it would be great to just plug in the sync cable or whack on a transmitter/trigger and off I go.
So you really want a higher sync speed?
In which case you are right back to a hardware limitation, that being the physical sync speed of the shutter.
03-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,017
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote

Camera set to manual, F8 and 1/250th
Metz flash set to HSS
Bowens 500W strobe set with cell "on" ..... all works fine.

The only limitation there is the re-cycle time of the flash - so being able to use the sync socket would be much better.

Pics look fine - unless you looked at the exif there's no way to tell the images were taken at a higher shutter speed.
Is the ambient light in your studio so strong that you need a higher snyc?

Is the Bowens 500 a Gemini 500c/500r or Pro?
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 164
I was wondering the same thing.

1/125 is not great, but its not terrible (I do not miss the days of 1/60). Maybe he likes to shoot wide open?

When I am doing studio shots I almost always expose for 1/125 at f8-f16. Then again he maybe shooting models jumping up and down.

For outdoor shots I just do HSS when its needed...and this is rare since I employ reflectors and rarely shoot in bright sunlight
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, camera, medium format, software
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi, Which is better, the K-x or 645D? elbronconegro Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 03-06-2011 06:02 AM
645d in L.A. 672 Pentax Medium Format 3 12-15-2010 01:04 PM
LS on 645D Smolk Pentax Medium Format 7 11-22-2010 09:38 AM
645d!!! insulinguy Pentax News and Rumors 1 10-12-2010 07:36 AM
Who would consider a 645D? Elton Pentax Medium Format 11 09-28-2007 07:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top