Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pix from my 645n

Here are some shots made with my recently acquired Pentax 645n. They are from Pickney Island wetlands in coastal South Carolina, not far from Hilton Head. All were shot with the 55mm wide-angle with either red or polarizing filters, camera on a Manfrotto 3110 tripod, using a proper screw-in cable release. The first and second were shot on Freestyle's 100 speed film, the last on Tri-X. All were souped in D-76 1 to 1.

I haven't got the Medium Format carrier for my Epson V700 scanner sorted out, so the detail in the scans doesn't reveal what the negatives have. The carrier has height adjusters which I need to play with, and there is possibility of film sagging or bowing. I may have to buy a replacement aftermarket carrier and/or anti-Newton's ring glass.

But, my main purpose in scanning the negs into Elements is to serve as a contact sheet and to make them available in my catalog, tagged and categorized.

I need to regain my chops with stainless steel reels, the film tends to dislodge from the clip on the core, then the final exposure on the reel collects fine, short scratches from the tank. Grrrrrr!

I think my 645 kit is almost complete. I have the 75mm f2.8 normal, a 55mm f2.8 wide angle, a 200mm f4 tele, auto extension tubes (too cheap to pass up!) and my latest purchase, the 120mm f4 macro. Now if I could score a right angle finder.... I wish I'd begun this project well before the 645D debuted and inflated the prices on used gear.

Many thanks to fellow Pentaxians who fielded my questions on BW processing, etc, etc.

Attached Images

03-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice actually. I've built up at 645 film system too (original version). I've gotten a near set of A lenses, 45, 55, 75, 150, & 200 + extension rings + a very beat up 80-160 zoom. The 45mm is a very nice lens, wish I had a 120 though. I re-learning film processing after many years. One thing is that 645 negatives when printed are SO much better than 35mm. It's really dramatic.

If you want to have some fun try Ilford's SFX 200ISO film with a red filter. It has IR like qualities and is really nice.
03-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, blackcloudbrew! I wish I could afford a 35, but the cost!! I've just received the 120, bought from a forum member; I gather it is a killer. At the price they're going for, I hope so. Thanks for the hint on Iflord SFX 200. At this point I'm shooting cheap so I can really burn some film.

This weekend I'm going to slip the negs in my Beseler 23c and see if I can still print. Wahoo!
03-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens hoods??

blackcloudbrew, I forgot to ask: do you have Pentax lens hoods for the 55 and 75, if so what is the part number? I've found that the cheap rubber screw in hoods vignette on the 55, not good!

Given the cost of these lenses Pentax should have furnished them as a matter of course.

Thanks!

03-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't get any lens hoods. I've got a collection of the rubber hoods at 58mm and on for 77mm for the zoom. I also have a metal hood I got on ebay at 62mm with a step up ring that works on the 55 although it fall off a bunch. Sorry, can't help on that.
03-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

645 A 55mm: RH-B-58 (rubber lens hood, collapsable)
645 A 75mm: RH-A-58 (idem, also for the FA and LS version)

I once bought a generic metal hood for the 55mm, but I did not like it in my bag on the lens, so later also bought the rubber Pentax hood. Both are superfluous now that I sold the lens and forgot about the hoods (not included in the price). The Pentax ones tend not to be cheap, I paid a hefty price myself.
03-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Smolk. Hefty price is no surprise. My 55mm was new old stock in its original box. The sticker price was over $1,000. without, of course, a lens hood. I've ordered a couple cheap knock-offs, if they don't work I'm not out much money.
03-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Maybe it's just me, but when I see those photos, they look like ones that were taken during the Vietnam war or something. They look nice!

03-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
Maybe it's just me, but when I see those photos, they look like ones that were taken during the Vietnam war or something. They look nice!
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words from all. Now that you mention it I see what you mean. I'm sure the palms and palmettos add to that; this portion of SC is sort of subtropical.

BTW I also shot several of these scenes with my K10d, in color of course. To my eye they are much more effective in BW.
03-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Nice! But a bit unsharp, as you say. Try the + setting of the height adjusters and scan with the emulsion side down. It seems to do the trick for most V700 users, including me. Also, cut strips of one more frame than the holder allows to scan at once. You'll have to turn them around once per strip to scan all of frames, but the strips stays much flatter because of a longer part being under the "open" side of the upper holder frame.
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
Nice! But a bit unsharp, as you say. Try the + setting of the height adjusters and scan with the emulsion side down. It seems to do the trick for most V700 users, including me. Also, cut strips of one more frame than the holder allows to scan at once. You'll have to turn them around once per strip to scan all of frames, but the strips stays much flatter because of a longer part being under the "open" side of the upper holder frame.
Thanks for the hints! I haven't tried the height adjusters, I did so with 35mm film to good effect. With 35mm I chose whichever orientation seemed to be more likely to approximate "flat" film, feeling that depth of field would compensate for up or down. Have you - or others - had any experience with the holders and anti-Newton's glass gear from Holders and Products for the Epson V700 V750 V750-M Hoping to devote my limited funds to film and enlarging paper I'd hope to hear user experience before laying out more money for my main hobby. My loving wife is most accepting, but I don't want to go to far.
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
Makten, I tried the plus settings of the adjusters and for the two or three frames which looked flat in the carrier. Made a BIG difference those few frams were sharp corner to corner. I think that I may have to go to an aftermarked holder and/or ANG if I intend to use scans for printing much over 5 x 7. And large prints are one reason I bought this beauty.
03-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm thinking either there's something wrong with your lens, or with your JPEG compression. Those look awful.