Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Betterscanning.com film holders??

I've just begun scanning 120 film from my 645n with my Epson 700. It seems that if the film is relatively flat, the results are good, but getting that flatness is problematical.

Has anyone used Betterscannin'g medium format carrier with the adjustable T bars? This and perhaps with anti Newton's rings glass inserts should hold things flat.

With 35mm film unless there is pronounced lengthwise curl, the stock holder works pretty well.

Thanks!

03-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, this looks cool.
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I am using the betterscanning 120 film holders with the newton glass. The T bars I don't find quite as useful since they don't entirely ensure the film is flat.

But this sheet of glass is extremely useful. I initially only got one of the sheets since I first wanted to make sure they actually work. They do but then I never got around to ordering a second one.

In this set all the B&W shots I scanned myself using this film holder with the newton glass. There is one shot in there (the park bench) shot on Efke 100 which was curling atrociously. The scanning result is nonetheless flawless.

Cheers,
Tassilo
03-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

Yes, the T-Bars are a pain to use.
I ordered the adapter without Anti-Newton-Glass.
Very soon I got my glass from a Photo / Frame-Shop nearby. It cost only a few €s.

-Linus-

03-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I use transparent "scotch" tape to hold the film flat to the anti-newton glass. Just tape to the edge of the film--no tape on the actual image. I recommend removing the tape immediately so no "goo" stays on the glass. For 35mm film with sprocket holes, my scanner has light bleed from the sprocket holes so I tape a dark strip of film over the holes to stop the light bleed issue. Occasional tape smears clean up easily with microfiber cloth. Found that cleaning is easiest using largish microfiber clothes found in automotive cleaning supply section of dept. stores rather than the little mini finger clothes common in the photo shops.
03-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks for the responses. I guess I'd better pony up for the carrier and ANG glass. I keep telling myself that this hobby is cheaper than bass fishing...isn't it? Please?
03-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photography is a very inexpensive hobby...especially compared to bass fishing:

new bass boat $45,000 to $60,000
towing vehicle $35,000 to $50,000
insurance on both $125 to $300 per month
each trip fishing--fuel alone $100 to $300
licenses and tags for both the angler and the boat and truck
$300 to $1200 annually
initial cost for 15 mid-grade rods and reels and ancillary tackle
$$4000
same gear but high quality $12,000

space to store all the above--as in building a shop of dedicating a garage? factor in the mortgage payments for that space at $300 per month

Go used and old and the initial cost may only be $25,000 for all the boat/truck/gear line items. The monthly costs remain similar.

Invest in photography at this financial level and you'll be able to own any and all photo items available for you chosen brand and will be able to fly to exotic destinations every 60 days and you'll still spend far less than anglers spend on their hobby. And if you think bass fishing is spendy, try the offshore versions at about quadruple those costs!
03-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Photography is a very inexpensive hobby...especially compared to bass fishing:
Thank you Ron! My little whine was in humor, I was sure that bass fishing was expensive, but I had now idea how! Good lord, I feel much better, even somewhat virtuous, about buying second-hand Pentax gear.

Maybe I'll look harder for a 35mm for my 645n. I wonder if I'm in the early stages of LBA....