Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #1

P645N Large Eye Cup Problem

I have the above on my camera. Eye cup is really the wrong description as it is totally flat with nothing to "cup" the eye. and therein lies the problem I suspect. As I only got the camera a few weeks ago and had very dull light conditions I have had no problems until this Saturday when we had strong sunshine in my part of the U.K. Then I noticed that I could see what I assume to be the image of the round viewfinder glass in the viewfinder( circle) when shooting at an angle that put the sun to the side of my eye.

When the sun was behind me and the back of my head blocked the light the problem disappeared. I have sinced developed the film and even when the problem in the finder showed itself there was no issue with the neg. So I think it is purely a reflection in the finder but it is disconcerting.

If the sun is to my right side the I can hold up my hand by the eyecup and this would seem to work but I cannot shoot as the shutter is also on the right and besides the camera really need two hands to steady it given its weight.

Anyone experienced this problem and if so any thoughts on how to overcome it?

Thanks

asahijock

03-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

Try shooting with your left eye when it's a problem on the right side?
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could look at the small round eyepiece that replace the big flat one?
03-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where can one get the small eyepiece? Anyone know?

03-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey guys,

Have a look at this thread - they are talking about a Nikon DK-2 eyecup

Eyecup for Pentax 645 - Photo.net Medium Format Forum

Cheers,

Luc
03-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On ebay you can find them from $4.99
03-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all. Well mine came with the large eyepiece and presumably it has advantages over the small eyepiece. Anyone know what these are? Seems a shame that the large eyepiece could not have been rounded at the edges to shade the eye and prevent light straying into the eyepiece. A big round cup like the Nikons might be the answer.

On my 35mm Pentax I have fitted an eye-shaped eyepiece that was designed for some earlier P35mm cameras to allow me to see the information inside the viewfinder such as shutter speed, aperture etc but the MZ7 for instance has the same kind of flat eyepiece as the large one on the P645.

I can't think why Pentax thought that an eyepiece that shades the shooting eye wasn't worthwhile.

Changing shooting eyes as has been suggested may be one answer and using the left eye when sun in on the right and vice versa. However I have two eyes of different strengths as many of us do when age is against us so that means a diopter adjustment as well each time I want to shoot something with the sun on the opposite side. Besides if you are say naturally right eyed then swopping isn't that simple

A lot of trouble for a problem that a better designed eyepiece would solve

asahijock

03-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

I lost my eye piece not long after I bought it and haven't really noticed since.
03-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I lost the small eyecup which came with my 645n, and bought from KEH the large eye "cup." It is supposed to thread onto the eyepiece, but it takes enough effort to thread that I'm afraid of cross-threading it and then being unable to attach the ref-converter. Anyone else have this problem with either eyecup?

Had Pentax used the sort of eyepiece fitting that the K10d, the LX, the MX, etc, there'd be no such worry. Grrrrrr.
03-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #10

Original Poster
It sounds as if there is no easy solution here and no eye-shaped eyecup that can be easily attached.

Equally it doesn't sound as if my problem of bright sun to the side of my face when shooting affects that many people.

A thick piece of black felt on the very edge of the large cup on the right side of the cup might work or glueing a soft piece of rubber on the right hand side of the cup. Presumably only the right side of the cup needs the modification?

asahijock
03-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

No problem here, but then again, I prefer the refconverter (although more bulky in the bag)
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
No problem here, but then again, I prefer the refconverter (although more bulky in the bag)
Smolk, I have a refconverter but one designed for P35mm cameras. Is this the same refconverter or is there one specifically for the P645?

I have never used it. Presumably it turns the camera into one where you lower your head over the refconverter so looking down on the camera as opposed to having it at eye level.

I can think of situations where the refconverter makes shooting easier such as when the camera needs to be practically on the ground or directly over the subject but in normal shooting are there other circumstances where the refconverter is preferable?

Thanks
03-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Not the same, specific for the 645 (and N and NII). Apart from Macro photography—which I don't do—it is a matter of preference I guess. And a slightly different angle when doing portraits.
03-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An update to my earlier eyecup post. I ordered off Ebay an eyecup, the DK-2 to fit Nikon F3, among others. Thanks, lbenac, for the citation! Cost including shipping was about $8.00. It just arrived and is about 2 inches in diameter, cuplike, and has a threaded fitting with a glass insert presumably to protect the camera eyepiece.

It won't directly fit. However, if the threaded fitting is removed (it has a circumferential ridge which fits into a groove in the rubber eyecup) the eyecup can easily be stretched over the 645 ocular. Works perfectly! As a bonus the ref converter can be attached without removing the eyecup. Better than the Pentax original.

Cheers!
03-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for that post. I've made a note of a DK-2 for a Nikon F3 I'll bear that in mind. I am presuming that the Pentax large flat eyepiece is removed and that you are not saying that the DK-2 is stretched over the flat eyepiece!

asahijock