Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax 67 Lenses Adapted to...

I have used my P67 lenses on my P645NII to good effect, and of course there's a current surge in such adapting for the new P645D. I almost bought a 645D, but I do like the P67 form factor. This and a few other things led me to Leica S2... with an adapter for P67 lenses!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Leica S2  Photo 
03-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting approach. First question: where did you get a 67/Leica adapter? You'll certainly have access to more lenses than most S2 users!
Second question: does anybody ever use that handrail?
03-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Second question: does anybody ever use that handrail?
Apparently, the birds use it all the time...
03-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I like that 6:9 aspect of the camera. What 67 lens are you using? The metadata says 70mm.

Last edited by tuco; 03-25-2011 at 10:15 AM.
03-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry about the "crappy" picture; somehow I had it in mind it was shot with the Pentax 100 Macro, clearly not... that's the camera's standard 70mm f/2.5 Summarit. I'll see if I have a decent 100mm pic when I get to the office.

The adapter is made by Kim Camera in South Korea, starting with a Pentax extension tube to provide the P67 bayonet end, then the inward half with the Leica bayonet is a new machining, and the two parts are joined. There are no mechanical or electrical parts; no diaphragm control. They sell them on eBay for $750.

Dale Photo in Florida is another source for the same item. I don't see it on their website, but I spoke with David Farkas there... The adapters arrive in batches, and Dale checks each one for correct infinity register and other QA matters with a reject rate of several percent. Price is $600.

This adapter does bring up some interesting possibilities for the S2... for one there are suddenly two usable zooms. I have the 55-100mm and will give it a try. The 45mm is apparently a good performer on this camera. The Leica lenses are optically exquisite (and weather sealed) but very expensive... The Pentax-67 lenses will add affordable versatility as "look" or character lenses at the least. They may or may not perform the same on the S2 as on the 645D.

The pic is the back of Jack's house. I don't think he's used that back door for a while, seeing the spider webs. Not much room in the back, just enough to park one car, as it's hemmed in by an auto dealership detail shop on two sides. Pic shot from the alley. House has an exterior A-frame roof truss with a horizontal beam that the birds seem to like. Piles of bird doo all along the back, not just the railing and stairs...
03-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's one wide open at f/4 with the Pentax 100mm macro lens. The camera "thought" it was f/6.8, and in post I reduced the exposure by almost a stop. Have to arrange more accurate exposure to protect the highlights...

This is one of the few instances where I was approached aggressively about shooting... I know the guy who drives this truck; he's a tenant of mine. As I was shooting, a car stopped, blocking traffic, and a guy in a safety vest got out and asked what I was doing. He went around this side of the truck to see for himself, saying he was a trucker and figured on "protecting" fellow truckers from trouble. I said if there's any trouble here, he's the one starting it, and walked away.
Attached Images