Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

New member question

Hi,
So, I am a happy new owner of 645D.Previous experience with the Canon digital line up and limited 4X5 exposure.I have a silly queston - what kind of plates you use on 645 to mount it on a tripod?I have RRS ballhead on my tripod which accepts Arca Swiss type of plates,but the one Wimberly plate I thought to use fits awkwardly and does not work on the side at all.
Thanks,
Vlad.

03-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I rarely use a tripod, so know very little about plates and that kind of thing.

All I can say is that I borrowed a friends Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod and it's got the standard plate that she uses for her Canon 5D and Pentax K20D (same looking plate as the ones on my cheap little aluminium tripods) and that works fine with the 645D.
03-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked on the RRS and Kirk websites and they have plates for the 645D
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #4

Get the RRS plates, I ordered 2 of them last month and they are perfect.

04-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks,
Just ordered mine from RRS.
Vlad
04-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
I rarely use a tripod, so know very little about plates and that kind of thing.

All I can say is that I borrowed a friends Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod and it's got the standard plate that she uses for her Canon 5D and Pentax K20D (same looking plate as the ones on my cheap little aluminium tripods) and that works fine with the 645D.
You know, I have a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod that is supposed to be good for up to 15 lbs. BUT, I have tell you though that when I mount my 645D on it, even with the mirror up, I can see the whole unit vibrate just a tad with a shutter motion. It shook enough that it was apparent to the naked eyes. So now I feel like having to rest my hand gently on the camera/tripod unit itself when taking a shot.

I think that I need a better tripod. I realize this thread is for the plates, but I thought I would throw in my 10 yen worth of opinion.
04-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There was a test on The Luminous Landscape a while back on the 645nii which had mirror lockup. The test strongly suggested that the apparent vibration of the 600mm lens used occured after the mirror returned, and that MLU made little difference. If the 645D uses the same mirror/shutter mechanism you probably have little to worry about. Here's the link: 645-MLU

Whatever plate you buy get two. I have two Manfrotto plates and its great to be able to go from horizontal to vertical format without too much adjustment of the head.

04-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
There was a test on The Luminous Landscape a while back on the 645nii which had mirror lockup. The test strongly suggested that the apparent vibration of the 600mm lens used occured after the mirror returned, and that MLU made little difference. If the 645D uses the same mirror/shutter mechanism you probably have little to worry about. Here's the link: 645-MLU

Whatever plate you buy get two. I have two Manfrotto plates and its great to be able to go from horizontal to vertical format without too much adjustment of the head.
Thank you. That kind of explains that there is little blurriness. I feel better now. Quite a bit of force is involved, I see. Sure sounds like it too.
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #9

I had the same issue with my 645D when I was in Yosemite. I was using a Feisol Tournament tripod that I loved because of the light weight. I went out and found a used Gitzo series 3 that handles more weight. It's a beast of a tripod but handles the 645D much better. I also got the RRS bh-55, this combo works great.