Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645d review in Pro-Photo mag

Pentax 645D - The Big Easy | ProPhoto

I've never used a MF camera, let alone a 645d, but that doesn't mean I don't lust after one.

This review seems pretty even handed.

I like that he has this to say -
"quite a lot of rubbish is being written about the 645D especially on the Web mostly by people who are unlikely to have even used the camera"

03-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Pentax 645D - The Big Easy | ProPhoto

I've never used a MF camera, let alone a 645d, but that doesn't mean I don't lust after one.

This review seems pretty even handed.

I like that he has this to say -
"quite a lot of rubbish is being written about the 645D especially on the Web mostly by people who are unlikely to have even used the camera"
I contributed to a discussion in another forum in a thread for Medium Format Vs Full frame. Only myself and one other person used/owned MF gear and out of all the others that commented not one had even tried, hired. borrowed or used MF in any way shape or form. With no experience, a little reading on the 'net or pure guess work, they were all quite happy to tell me how bad all MF gear is with Hi ISO performance, how slow/poor the autofocus systems are and one tried to tell me there were too many pixels making the resolution poor in comparison to a pro FF DSLR ..... that one left me scratching my head!

Whilst no expert, I have shot with variants of 1D, D3, Hasselblad H4D, 645, 645D ...etc and at least tried to gain some first hand knowledge and hands-on before making the AUD$14K leap and buying my own 645D - but everywhere I look people are ready to write off MG gear pulling out old stereotype arguements and never having laid a hand on any form of larger format gear.
03-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
With no experience, a little reading on the 'net or pure guess work, they were all quite happy to tell me how bad all MF gear is with Hi ISO performance, how slow/poor the autofocus systems are and one tried to tell me there were too many pixels making the resolution poor in comparison to a pro FF DSLR
man, that would have been annoying. some people really do not have any clue. Fortunately there are many people on these forums with plenty of experience and those such as myself who are also users of larger formats such as 4x5,5X7 and 8X10. I'll also add that I have worked with phase one and leaf digital backs on the past with the ost recent one I have used being the phase one Achromatic+ on my Hasselblad H2 - which was a sublime experience.

The review is reasonably good for a glossy photo mag. I'm personally waiting for someone like Michael Reichmann to get his teeth into the Pentax 645D,especially since he was a big fan of the original Pentax 645NII - I'm sure he will love the dedicated Mirror lock up button.