Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Prism Confusion

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a Pentax 67 body on Ebay and I'm now looking for a metered prism. I understand that I can use the new one which simply says Pentax on the front or the older model which says Atachi Pentax on the front as they are identical in size and function. Is this correct?
Also I have found two in good condition however the listing says that the first comes wothout an 'adapter ring' and the second without a meter coupling ring. I'm unsure what these things are and unsure whether the body will function without them. Assuming not, may these be purchased separately?
Any assistance or advice will be gratefully received, Cheers.

04-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #2

The rings that both these listings refer to as missing are a knurled plastic ring that rests on top of the camera shutter speed dial. The prism then attaches to the camera and indexes with the shutter dial over this ring. The ring is not necessary for the prism to operate, but is there to make it much easier to change the shutter with your left hand thumb while looking through the eyepiece. I think they are hard to come by and can be pricey - I recall seeing one sell on the Bay for as much as the prism itself, but usually sell for around $35. I would bide my time and get a prism with the ring included.
04-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #3

Thanks for that, I took your advice and just bought one from FFordes. It cost a bit more than the going rate but it is complete and in good condition. Thanks again.
04-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Royalan Quote
The rings that both these listings refer to as missing are a knurled plastic ring that rests on top of the camera shutter speed dial. The prism then attaches to the camera and indexes with the shutter dial over this ring. The ring is not necessary for the prism to operate, but is there to make it much easier to change the shutter with your left hand thumb while looking through the eyepiece. I think they are hard to come by and can be pricey - I recall seeing one sell on the Bay for as much as the prism itself, but usually sell for around $35. I would bide my time and get a prism with the ring included.
The ring was included as original equipment with the meter prism. Anyone who is selling a meter prism without the ring is not being honest.

04-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, the TTL prisms that say Pentax are identical in function to the ones that say Asahi , only the logo is different.
04-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Yes, the TTL prisms that say Pentax are identical in function to the ones that say Asahi , only the logo is different.
and the On/Off switch is different - with the new one you can not forget to switch it off
04-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Both Pentax and Asahi TTL prisms have the auto shut off switch, unless your Asahi is one of the first few years of production.

04-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #8

Thanks guys much appreciated.