Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Congratulations on those extraordinary images, they're the best I've seen from the 645D. I could not believe as I was scrolling down there was just incredible image after incredible image Thank you for taking the time to post them and your detailed impressions of the camera and lenses.

Last edited by twitch; 04-10-2011 at 06:42 PM.
04-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perfect processing - shows off MFD

One thing I noticed right away is that these images are processed nearly perfectly for web viewing, in that the size presented and the sharpening routine actually shows off some of the incredible resolution difference that the 645D provides over DSLR.

Most 645D images I see on the web are nice, but really look no different than any well-taked DSLR shot, unless you download the full-sized files and have a look - these actually start to show you right here, in the thread, what the camera can do when used properly.

Great job on the review and especially on the photography (and processing), Harklee!

04-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #33

WOW those images are truly amazing...THE best series of photos I've ever seen. Great work and well worth with all those trips.
04-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Thank you for the great review and incredible images! It was a true pleasure reading this.

04-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
don't forget the S2 has a slightly larger sensor than the 645D has.
Leica S2 has 45x30 mm Kodak sensor, with area 1350 mm2 and diagonal 54.08 mm.
Pentax 645D has 44x33 mm Kodak sensor, with area 1452 mm2 and diagonal 55.00 mm.

Of course they are very close to each other, but of course -
Pentax 645D has slightly larger sensor
04-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #36
Pentaxian

you have a point there managger, I stand corrected.
04-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Stunning series of image, fantastic work and write up.
04-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Thanks for this great review and the excellent pictures to show what the 645D can do.
If those magazine reviews would only have shown 3 or 4 of this kind of pictures they could have left out a lot of writing.
As the saying goes : The proof of the pudding is in the eating
And this pudding is worthy of a 3-star Michelin restaurant.

04-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #39
Zav
Pentaxian

Stunning pictures! WOW!
It makes me want to shoot MF!
04-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it. Yesterday I received the new D-FA 25mm and now I am fashioning a custom filter holder for GNDs. It took me a leap of faith to purchase this lens but everything looks good so far. I will report back with my first impression of the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
I actually find the auto white balance to be much better than my Canon system (5d MKII) but then again I am color blind so I always have a color checker passport with me.
Interesting finding, I'd been using the Canon 5d II for over two years and I always felt the white balance was dead on, I also have the color passport but I find it a bit tricky to use when the light changes almost by the second.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zockson Quote
I am looking for a good portrait lens for 645D. Anything you would recommend me? thx a lot
Sorry I missed your question earlier, I am not much of a portrait guy, but I would guess standard to telephoto primes such as D-FA 55mm, FA 75mm, FA 120mm and FA 150mm. Looks like a new telephoto prime for portrait is in the works. : )

Pentax shows prototype portrait lens for 645D, roadmaps 2 more zooms

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I think the 4sec delay might be because of limitations in either CCD readout or processing speed in the 645D. K-5 users (essentially the same engine) are reporting roughly 19MB/sec max write speed out to the SD cards, so it's more likely the processing speed...
Interesting, hope they could do something with a new firmware, but then again, they would've already done something if it was possible. : )

QuoteOriginally posted by erick Quote
because a 8x10 camera = 8x10 sensor
did you read the review on the H4D 50mp on diglloyd - Blog ? specially for landscape photography one need f/16
Everyone needs more DOF for landscape photography but it's always about making a compromise. I personally find f/16 slightly diffraction limited even at the current pixel density of 645d, but I wouldn't ask Pentax to reduce the number of MPs. If you maintained the current pixel density, you would already get about 64 MP for the full frame sensor. From 64MP to 80MP, it will make the camera a 'tad' more susceptible to the diffraction, but I am sure it will provide more advantages.

QuoteOriginally posted by mark_au Quote
I would be interested in what you think (if you have tested it) what has been a maximum acceptable exposure time for iso100 or other iso's
I've tried some 3-4 min exposures and I was very happy with the results (although it was with the noise reduction on, so it took another 3-4mins for the dark frames. I am planning on some night photography sometime soon so I will keep you posted.

- Hark

Last edited by harklee; 04-11-2011 at 12:03 PM.
04-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
One thing I noticed right away is that these images are processed nearly perfectly for web viewing, in that the size presented and the sharpening routine actually shows off some of the incredible resolution difference that the 645D provides over DSLR.

Most 645D images I see on the web are nice, but really look no different than any well-taked DSLR shot, unless you download the full-sized files and have a look - these actually start to show you right here, in the thread, what the camera can do when used properly.

Great job on the review and especially on the photography (and processing), Harklee!

True. These were stunning images and great examples.

I've also noticed that your images, Jay, have a certain snap to them that mine don't have after they are uploaded to the web. I suspect that preparing images for the web is a skill you have mastered as well.
04-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Abosolutely fantastic pictures, even if not taken by 645d. Your skills as a photographer may have more to do with the "stunningness" of your work than the camera itself. I say this because viewing on a relatively small monitor just don't do justice, even if on Eizo color edge. Just the other day I viewed some of my pics on a 60 inch plasma via HDMI cable, and I just about soiled my pants all over. If your pics are viewed that way, they will be beyond stunning. I truly think that this is why 645d cost so much. You will be able to see just how big you can print without losing out on details. My God.

I also agree wholeheartedly about the difference in IQ between ISO of 100 and 200. To me it is huge, especially on longer exposure. Another excellent point was the need for an articulating LCD and live view. FF 645 sensor to me is a moot point for me at this point (especially because I don't have any FA lenses). I would rather that they work on ergonomics with articulating screen and live view before that.

To me ergonomics need work. Too many buttons. Becomes a bit of a nuisance when trying to operate the camera in the dark.

And lastly, thank you for the wonderful review - probably the most sensible one I have read so far.

Last edited by Fontan; 04-11-2011 at 08:44 AM.
04-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #43

Wonderful set, Hark. Are you using focus stacking on the 35mm shots?
04-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing photos. I just stand and look. Clearly, it is not just a camera, but you are a photographer who knows what he is doing and is willing to exert the effort to get "your" shot. Beautifully done!
04-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #45
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful images, and fantastic color and sharpness!