Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A fantastic set of pictures and a great view from you on the 645D. Thanks.

04-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #47

Those are some beautiful shots. As an amateur I'd like to capture one shot as nice as the ones you have. You seem to have an unlimited supply of beautiful shots!
04-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Stunning images, all of them.
04-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Succinct review and superlative photographic work presented here Harklee.

I am personally looking at the Leica S2 and the Pentax 645D - the 645D being a much more versatile landscape photographers camera, having a wider array of zoom and fixed focal length lenses than what Leica has on offer. However in the studio I suspect the leica with it's leaf shutter* and wider aperture lenses would be a more compelling choice, and don't forget the S2 has a slightly larger sensor than the 645D has. Though after viewing images on my new 27" Ezio monitor, I suspect that the difference between the pentax 645D and the leica S2 would be rather trivial.

*I am aware pentax makes a 75mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/4 leaf shutter lenses but everyone I know seems to be in the dark about their functionality with the 645D. The consensus is that they do not work, though personally I cannot see why they wouldn't work.
Actually, the Pentax 645D sensor (44x33mm) is larger than the Leica S2 (45x30mm). The other consideration is that the S2 has a 2:3 aspect ratio. For publication, that aspect ratio is not the best format. Long and skinny, you have to crop off a good portion of the shot. The 645D, on the other hand, it'll drop right into an 8.5x11" page with virtually no cropping at all.

04-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #50

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic report and images ! Thx !
04-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #51

Sweet photos.
Just checkin, any filters used?
04-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #52

That is just brilliant thank you for sharing them, the landscape are all mouthwatering :3
04-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great photos of a great camera.

04-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #54

Stunning scenery, thanks for sharing.
04-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #55

Amazing photos and nice summaries
04-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

simply an amazing set of images; after looking at them, I have decided to sell my 645d and simply show your photos to people instead (I may give you credit - but only if they ask ...) but still, great photos.
harvey
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Terrific images. I'm not sure what makes a 645 image look any better than any other multi-megapixel image when it has to be reduced to web/monitor resolution, however.

Do you have a post-processing tutorial anywhere, and if not would you consider writing one?

Also, would you mind sharing with us how many of these images are HDR? You do HDR very well (unlike the overblown stuff that has come to be known by many as HDR), but some of them clearly have to be HDR (Golden Gate Bridge, for example). It seems a little misleading to present the images as simply being produced by the 645D alone, if some of them are striking due to the well-done HDR post-processing.

I'm also curious how you do your HDR (Photoshop CS5, or Photomatix, or other)?

Last edited by cheekygeek; 04-20-2011 at 08:30 AM.
04-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Terrific images. I'm not sure what makes a 645 image look any better than any other multi-megapixel image when it has to be reduced to web/monitor resolution, however.)
Agreed, the web versions of these images don't really show the true potential of the camera.

Do you have a post-processing tutorial anywhere, and if not would you consider writing one?
Currently I am having a hard time even updating my own website, but I will consider that. The gist is use of graduated neutral density (GND) filters for shooting, RAW conversion in Adobe Camera Raw (sharpening, white balance, noise reduction, lens corrections), and curve adjustments, manual blending of the blown-out highlights or blacked-out shadows (GND may not be enough for high-contrast situations), manual focus stacking for DOF if needed and a touch of contrast masking if necessary.

Also, would you mind sharing with us how many of these images are HDR? You do HDR very well (unlike the overblown stuff that has come to be known by many as HDR), but some of them clearly have to be HDR (Golden Gate Bridge, for example). It seems a little misleading to present the images as simply being produced by the 645D alone, if some of them are striking due to the well-done HDR post-processing.
I don't do HDR, not that it is bad, because essentially it's for the same purpose, but I prefer shooting with GND filters and a tad of manual blending in Photoshop since that way you can minimize the HDR-kind of artifacts and have better control of the processing. Looks like about 10 (out of 28) of the above images have been partially blended (mostly small patches of blown highlights). FYI, the golden gate shot is a single long exposure shot, no blending.

I'm also curious how you do your HDR (Photoshop CS5, or Photomatix, or other)?
I recommend Exposure Fusion, I have some experience with it and it produces much more natural results than HDR.

Last edited by harklee; 04-20-2011 at 04:34 PM.
04-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by princepollux Quote
Are you using focus stacking on the 35mm shots?
Like 50 % of the time, I use a laser distance-meter to check the distance between the sensor and nearest foreground to make sure. Basically anytime I want to include close objects, yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by oyama85 Quote
Just checkin, any filters used?
Graduated neutral density (GND) filters for exposure control, polarizer for reducing glares.

Thanks again for the comments guys. I apologize for not being able to comment back as much as I would like to, but I really appreciate your kind words.

- Hark

Last edited by harklee; 04-20-2011 at 04:35 PM.
04-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #60

Any focus issues (as alluded to by luminous landscape) ?

Hi harklee,

There was a luminous-landscape review last November that talked about some focus issues at infinity. Wondering - have you experienced anything like that?
Here is a reference :Pentax 645D - A First Review

(Also can't wait to hear what you think of the new 25mm.)

Thx.