Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #1

645n with monoblocs

My 645n arrived today all the way from Richmond, Virginia. I'm dying to try it out in my studio using a pair of remotely controlled monoblocs together with softboxes for a bit of portraiture.
A quick question here though, I don't have a light meter. Can I just take a few shots with my DSLR first to get the flash outputs/camera exposure ok and then just dial up the same exposure on the 645n?
If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested to hear them.

04-15-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joburger Quote
My 645n arrived today all the way from Richmond, Virginia. I'm dying to try it out in my studio using a pair of remotely controlled monoblocs together with softboxes for a bit of portraiture.
A quick question here though, I don't have a light meter. Can I just take a few shots with my DSLR first to get the flash outputs/camera exposure ok and then just dial up the same exposure on the 645n?
If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested to hear them.
That is exactly the way I measure flash for my 645/n (or other older camera) these days, unless I only need the one TTL AF400T. As inelegant as it may be, flash meters are still quite expensive, and the DSLR is available for chimping. After a few uses, I didn't have the chimp much. It is cheaper than polaroids from the film days, too.
04-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Your digital is showing the in-camera processing of the jpeg image. So just make sure you don't have anything special on the camera settings. The film's latitude can take up any potential minor variances in metering.
04-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I probably will buy a meter eventually but like Gene said, they aren't cheap. I anticipate compensating about a third of a stop each way so hopefully that will accomodate any variances.
By the way, a beautiful P67 and a metered prism also arrived this week. As I will be using both of these cameras on monopods and tripod, the looked up the refective Markins quick release plates and yes, they also wanted over $50 each plus postage to Australia, plus the fact that they recommend two plates for the 645D, I was up for well over $200.00.
Just out of curiousity, I tried the Markins plate P300U from my D3x and it works perfectly on both bodies.

04-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You can get a dedicated flash meter that is comparatively not too expensive. I find a flash meters handy for more than one flash where you want to set the flash ratios.

If you don't already have a wireless system, the Paul Buff Cyber Commander transmitter has a flash meter built into it. I use that system for my Alien Bee flash units.

Last edited by tuco; 04-15-2011 at 03:06 PM.
04-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Tuco, this looks like a neat little unit. I assume it is pretty simple to use. Would I be correct in assuming that a Sekonic light meter for instance would do both flash and general light metering functions. If so, I might just wait until I can afford one and use my DSLR in the meantime.
04-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I haven't looked at light meters for a long time but no doubt you can get a Sekonic with multi-functionality. My, now old, Sekonic L-328 did flash in addition to a 5 spot meter attachment. I still use it when I don't want to carry my much larger one-degree Pentax Spotmeter V.

Many years ago my L-328 went for a swim. I dried it out and it came back to life. Some years later it developed a problem of not turning on. But I could remove the battery, turn it on, put the battery back in and it worked. Starting about last year, the off-on started working again with the battery in it. Strange.