Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
645D little glitchy

Just bought the 645D and ran a few hundred sample images through it. So far I am very pleased with the results however some particular things started happening.
I shoot using the 32GBSanDisk Extreme Pro cards. Doesn't matter what lens I use occasionally the camera will stall writing image to card. The hour glass just won't go away. I'll power down the camera and turn back on and then the camera says no card found but it will still work fine. I tried changing out cards and the same thing happens after about running 50-75 images.
Any thoughts?

Bill

04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have not run into this, but I am not using SanDisc Extreme Pro cards.
04-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you format the cards with the camera? They should all be FAT32 from the factory, which is what the 645D uses, but that's about all I can think of.

Who knows, there might be a firmware glitch when you hit 4GB of images (which is ~75 from the 645D in PEF) in the same folder on the card. But even the FAT32 file system should see those as 75 separate files and not a single <4GB file (which is the limit of a single file). No idea, really!

Oh, and welcome to the Pentax community, Bill. Can't wait to see some gigantic 645D panos!

Last edited by panoguy; 04-25-2011 at 03:54 PM.
04-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I have not run into this, but I am not using SanDisc Extreme Pro cards.
hmm - actually all I have are these cards - maybe I should try running a different brand or smaller size (ouch - need the gb's). I'll order up different brand name and size for check.
Bill

04-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Did you format the cards with the camera? They should all be FAT32 from the factory, which is what the 645D uses, but that's about all I can think of.

Who knows, there might be a firmware glitch when you hit 4GB of images (which is ~75 from the 645D in PEF) in the same folder on the card. But even the FAT32 file system should see those as 75 separate files and not a single <4GB file (which is the limit of a single file). No idea, really!

Oh, and welcome to the Pentax community, Bill. Can't wait to see some gigantic 645D panos!
thx for the feedback - yes I did format these cards in the camera. I seem to be firing off too many test shots but the good news is I haven't had a recent lockup in last 200 shots. Need to hold off on shutter actuations however - this weekends shoot project could see me burning off 1000-5000 images :-)
I'll be happy to share the results after post production is complete.

Bill
04-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Panoguy hit a fair point: format in-camera the card.

Also did you update the firmware? Both firmware updates 1.01 and 1.02 improved the SD card usage: Latest 645D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Hope that the comment will help.
04-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill Bailey Quote
Need to hold off on shutter actuations however - this weekends shoot project could see me burning off 1000-5000 images :-)
Yoinks, that's a lot of pixels!

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about the 50k "lifespan" of the shutter, as it can be replaced pretty easily and (relative to the cost of the body) cheaply, if it starts to act up after 50 thousand clicks. Pentax has been making medium-format shutters for over 40 years, so they should be pretty robust.

It's the sensor, if anything, that would be most expensive to replace if it "wore out." Have fun trying!

Last edited by panoguy; 04-25-2011 at 05:27 PM.
04-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #8

Hi Bill,

I'm not saying this is the problem, but as good as the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards are, some have found they can be a little "glitchy" in certain cameras. for whatever reason, some cameras display the occastional issues with them. Try using the lenss expensive Sandisk Ultra II's as they seem to confirm to a standard that almost every camera has no issues with. Just make sure all your Sandisk cards are genuine, as there are many couterfeit Sandisk cards going around that are hard to tell from real ones.

Dave (D&A)

04-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

mmmm no problems with that card in my K-5 so no idea what it could be. If you can have your hands on an older card then you ca try if this works proparly (like the mentioned Ultra II or an Extreme III card).
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Panoguy hit a fair point: format in-camera the card.

Also did you update the firmware? Both firmware updates 1.01 and 1.02 improved the SD card usage: Latest 645D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Hope that the comment will help.
yep all current with firmware - many folks don't realize the importance of doing firmware update.
thx
Bill
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yoinks, that's a lot of pixels!

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about the 50k "lifespan" of the shutter, as it can be replaced pretty easily and (relative to the cost of the body) cheaply, if it starts to act up after 50 thousand clicks. Pentax has been making medium-format shutters for over 40 years, so they should be pretty robust.

It's the sensor, if anything, that would be most expensive to replace if it "wore out." Have fun trying!
hmm - I wonder how long the life span of a sensor is.
04-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DandA Quote
Hi Bill,

I'm not saying this is the problem, but as good as the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards are, some have found they can be a little "glitchy" in certain cameras. for whatever reason, some cameras display the occastional issues with them. Try using the lenss expensive Sandisk Ultra II's as they seem to confirm to a standard that almost every camera has no issues with. Just make sure all your Sandisk cards are genuine, as there are many couterfeit Sandisk cards going around that are hard to tell from real ones.

Dave (D&A)
good points - was not aware of that.
thx
Bill
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
mmmm no problems with that card in my K-5 so no idea what it could be. If you can have your hands on an older card then you ca try if this works proparly (like the mentioned Ultra II or an Extreme III card).
Another side note - oddly the camera only acted up outdoors and not indoors. Of course I didn't run as many tests indoors. The outside temp was approx 90 degrees F shooting in the shade. The camera was never hot but was warm as were the SD cards.
04-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

hmm - I wonder how long the life span of a sensor is.
Who knows? It's an electronic chip (no moving parts, no degrading elements), and they tend to just keep going, and going, and going. Apparently Kodak tests them (charged) for 1000 hours at 125C (!), so what would that be in terms of the # of shots?

The outside temp was approx 90 degrees F shooting in the shade.
That might have something to do with it, but it sounds like a Sandisk issue. What's the temp rating on the card?
04-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #15

Running the 16GB Sandisk Extreme here -- the 30MB/s version, not the Pro 45MB/s. I shoot a lot with my 645D, though not as much as I'd like. To date I've been in conditions from -30C bitterly dry cold, to +30C with 100% humidity. So far, no storage issues -- or in fact issues of any kind...