Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Exposure in 645D

I just received my 645D and began doing the normal testing. Using the 45-85 AF and the 120 A I am finding that the default settings for exposure seem to be lightly under exposed. I am used to a slightly right side of center histogram. The images so far are somewhat to the left and darker than I prefer. With Exp comp of +.7 they are more to my liking. Does anyone else fine the to be true. I appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

BE

05-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find a lot of other digital cameras over expose for their "normal" levels based on what I was used to from a film background. When I got used to that, I thought the 645 and 645D under exposed as well and typically dialed in +.7.
Looking back through my older stuff I'm back to thinking the 645D exposes closer to the "correct" level that I was used to - but still a little dark for my tastes.

Now I either dial in +.3 or leave as is and know I'll easily be able to bump things up in post if needed.
05-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

I thought that might be the case, So I will do more testing and probably go with the +.3 in most cases. I just don't want to be loosing data at the zero end.

Thanks for your reply.
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditto for me as well. I find the Pentax exposure system on my 645D quite good. I shoot RAW and my feeling is the data is distributed better over the bit-depth and so appears a little flat compared to smaller formats, which makes the images appear underexposed, but that really is not the case.

05-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #5

I had the exact same experience with mine. I got mine last November so most of my shooting was with the typical bright gray skies of an Ohio Valley winter. I found I was putting in 0.3 - 0.7 or even more +EC with just about every shot, regardless of exposure metering mode used. Now that spring has sprung, the range of subject tones throughout the image frame is more the "normal" distribution, and at most I need 0.3 +EC, and even that not all the time.

I have always "exposed to the right", looking to get the histogram right up to the right edge of the screen. I still try to do this, but experience has demonstrated that it's usually sufficient simply to make sure the entire range of tones is found within the left and right edges. There's so much image information from this camera to work with, you can make minor tweaks and still get beautiful results.

Of course, I always want to come as close as possible in-camera.