Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

645D raw processing

I'm curious about what people are using to process dng and/or pef files from the 645D.

I've tried both formats with ACR (PS5), RawDeveloper, and Pentax's DCU4, with varying results. DCU4 seems to give the cleanest results with the best tones and colour but is almost impossibly clunky and slow (some tools don't seem to work at all); RawDev is ok but lacks some useful features which ACR has. ACR has an impressive feature-set but seems to give "dirty" results lacking real purity of colour.

I think the WB of the camera is poor and this doesn't help when trying to get good clean processing.

05-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Adobe Camera Raw does a nice job.
05-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I got to use a pre release 645D last fall for an afternoon. I shot DNG and processed them in Lightroom/Photoshop.
It seemed to work well enough.
05-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot PEF files and process them in ACR in Photoshop. I find the camera WB is really nice.

05-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I shoot .dng and process in Adobe Camera Raw then in Photoshop CS5.

My workflow is pretty simple and usually consists of:
- Auto lens correction if the 55mm prime is used
- Check sharpening and noise reduction if needed
- Saturation and luminesence adjustments if after a particular look
- tweak clarity and blacks if needed
Open into CS5

I very rarely touch WB, at the most I might use the slider to make an image just that bit warmer or cooler.

When finished in CS5 I'll save the end result as a TIF for my records and also as a jpg for use on my site.
05-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
I very rarely touch WB, at the most I might use the slider to make an image just that bit warmer or cooler
I get the impression you use a fixed Kelvin value for WB. with my other pentax cameras I seem to have an issue with ACR misinterpreting my pre-set value of 5000K for 5250K
05-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgpaterson2000 Quote
I'm curious about what people are using to process dng and/or pef files from the 645D.

I've tried both formats with ACR (PS5), RawDeveloper, and Pentax's DCU4, with varying results. DCU4 seems to give the cleanest results with the best tones and colour but is almost impossibly clunky and slow (some tools don't seem to work at all); RawDev is ok but lacks some useful features which ACR has. ACR has an impressive feature-set but seems to give "dirty" results lacking real purity of colour.

I think the WB of the camera is poor and this doesn't help when trying to get good clean processing.

Yeah . . . White balance is a bit of an issue, I think. I wouldn't call it a joke, but it takes a bit of getting used to though. That is for sure.
05-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I get the impression you use a fixed Kelvin value for WB. with my other pentax cameras I seem to have an issue with ACR misinterpreting my pre-set value of 5000K for 5250K

Nope - I've been caught out shooting only in jpg and having a wrong WB setting too many times in the past that the first thing I do now after turning the camera on is set the WB to suit the scene.
Even though I now shoot only in raw/dng, I still set the WB accordingly and compare "auto" vs what I set it at, or I do a custom WB using a grey card. I've yet to actually set the 645D at a colour temp.

05-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Interesting way of working, with all the cameras I use I have only three preset values for WB - all custom Kelvin values of 3200K, 5000K, 8500K - they cover the majority of my shooting conditions. I prefer the WB to be consistent, I have a good memory for images so tweaking the WB to match what I saw isn't hard - I just like a consistent point to work from. Using Auto WB is introducing another variable that can make getting things right just that little bit harder.