Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
thanks @ Thomas for sharing the samples and a nice room - I always dreamed from a writing desk on such a window.....
Just be patient Until two years ago that room was an unheated porch that flooded in heavy rain and had spiders in the summer

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Distortion is a strange thing. It has been said that optical systems (lenses, telescopes etc.) can correct for rectilinear distortion (Barrel, Pin-cusion) or spacial distortion but not both at the same time. It is really interesting to see this in the shots shown above. The rectilinear 645, 35mm shot shows the pot in the lower left corner to be stretched, indicating a spacial inaccuracy, while the 35mm from the 67 with uncorrected barrel distortion has the pot looking more normal spacially.
I put that pot in the corner of the frame on purpose and was surprised as well, I expected the opposite. The only explanation I could come with is that although the 645D is a crop, the pot is still near the edge of the 645 lens' image; using the 67 lens, the pot is much closer to the center of the image circle.

05-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The attached images were taken with a 645D using the Arsat/Zodiak 30mm and have had some distortion correction in CS5.

When taking the ALF 4 image I was in head-butting range of her boots .... so in fairly close. For ALF 7 I wasn't that far away, maybe 1.5 to 2 metres.

I liked the lengthening effect the lens helped give and the distortion wasn't too pronounced, so didn't make the fish-eye effect comical or overdone (well that's my thoughts anyway).

Manual focusing with just the modeling lamps wasn't easy and I did miss a few shots, but in this situation I had the time to check the shots and re-shoot if neccessary.

In such a small space I would have struggled with the 55mm prime and I'll bet that this type of work isn't what the designers/manufacturers had in mind when making it, but it did the job pretty well and let me get some shots I wouldn't have achieved without the wide FOV.
Attached Images

05-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
..... and a few more from the Arsat 30mm here - Denmark, WA and surrounds - Warped Photography - Perth's Premier Fetish Photographer | SmugMug