Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need your help with scanning of slides

Hi,

Last year I bought a Epson V700, and generally spoken I'm very happy with it. Especially with B&W negatives I am very pleased with the results, using the Epson scanning software. However, with colour slides it seems I can't get the bright results which are promised by the colourful celluloids themselves... Hoy do you scan your slides? What software do you use, and what are the default settings (if there are any, I know....) you use when scanning slides?

Cheers, Rense

05-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use Vuescan. It's very powerful and works with many, many scanners.

I bought the pro version years ago, so updates are free for me. The developer is very responsive, and the software is continually updated to add features and correct bugs.
05-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I use Vuescan. It's very powerful and works with many, many scanners.

I bought the pro version years ago, so updates are free for me. The developer is very responsive, and the software is continually updated to add features and correct bugs.
Ah, thanks. I looked into that, and it looks quite promising.... And they support the Epson V700, so that's nice....
05-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I use Vuescan.
The developer is very responsive, and the software is continually updated to add features and correct bugs.
Except he is slow, if at all, to put in new film profiles. The new Ektar 100 which has been out for a long time now, New Portra 400 and 160, for example.

He really needs to be on top of that. It's not like new films come out so frequently that you can't keep up but it is a film scanning software and that, IMHO, should be one of his top priorities.

05-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Except he is slow, if at all, to put in new film profiles. The new Ektar 100 which has been out for a long time now, New Portra 400 and 160, for example.

He really needs to be on top of that. It's not like new films come out so frequently that you can't keep up but it is a film scanning software and that, IMHO, should be one of his top priorities.
So, you discourage me to buy it?
05-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
I use VueScan.
05-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Vuescan is inexpensive, but I would suggest the free demo first. That will allow you to see whether it does what you need.

You may also want to spend some time with the EPSON scanning software that came with your V700. I like it much better than the Silverfast that also shipped with the scanner. In professional mode, it is features numerous ways to adjust the curves and color balance at scan time to be tweaked as needed in PP. When you get a combination you like, you can save it as a profile.

Steve
05-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Vuescan is inexpensive, but I would suggest the free demo first. That will allow you to see whether it does what you need.

You may also want to spend some time with the EPSON scanning software that came with your V700. I like it much better than the Silverfast that also shipped with the scanner. In professional mode, it is features numerous ways to adjust the curves and color balance at scan time to be tweaked as needed in PP. When you get a combination you like, you can save it as a profile.

Steve
Thanks Steve. That is however the software I use now, and I like the way my B&W scans come out. But I dislike the way the software handles my slides..... Probably it's just me, and probably I should try better....