Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
What do students typically carry in their backpacks, smelly gym socks and moldy forgotten sandwiches? Maybe them too but they usually carry a laptop, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Tablets and etc, all imminently portable and sought after electronic consumables. Do you think you can afford to be any less vigilant just because you store your camera gear inside a backpack instead of a dedicated camera bag/backpack? Any who thinks this lame attempt at subterfuge is worth anything, is fooling themselves.
On the subway you're right. At a tourist spot, the camera bag will be the pick of the litter every time.

10-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
On the subway you're right. At a tourist spot, the camera bag will be the pick of the litter every time.
No, any bag, backpack, camera bag, purse, wallet etc that's left unguarded is fair game. Colour of money don't change, regardless of the source.
10-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That is fine, fair enough, not really a point in arguing about it. Most of the suggestions have all been dedicated camera bags anyway, the OP simply didn't want to get the obvious brands (Lowepro and Tamrac are obvious camera bags while Clik, Naneupro and the Dakine bag that I referenced are not).
10-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
No, any bag, backpack, camera bag, purse, wallet etc that's left unguarded is fair game. Colour of money don't change, regardless of the source.
true, but if they see a bag they don't know, and next second they see a known camera bag. they will go for the camera bag, as they know what will be in there. from an unknown bag they do not know, hence it might not be fruitfull for them. They alwasy will gho for the most known bags, and most unatended bags. So if you have a bag that does not shout camera bag. and you can hide it a bit there is a camera in it, the chances that you will get robbed are less.

10-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Amazon Basics Backpack has received favorable reviews (both web-wide and on this forum [see here].
10-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
The Amazon Basics Backpack has received favorable reviews (both web-wide and on this forum [see here].
I bought one to carry my LX outfit, freeing up my Lowe for the 654n. While the Amazon Basics is a fine bag and a screaming value, I think it would be a little small for a 645 outfit. My Lowe is pretty well filled with the 645 and its lenses, 35, 55, 75, 120 and 200, plus ref converter, lens shades an extra insert or two, and what else...film.
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I bought one to carry my LX outfit, freeing up my Lowe for the 654n. While the Amazon Basics is a fine bag and a screaming value, I think it would be a little small for a 645 outfit. My Lowe is pretty well filled with the 645 and its lenses, 35, 55, 75, 120 and 200, plus ref converter, lens shades an extra insert or two, and what else...film.
I agree on the amazon pack, no way it will comfortably carry everything the OP wants. I have a similar bag and while it could theoretically hold all of that gear, I wouldn't feel safe (as in the straps might break!) or comfortable with a full day of use.

I really like the dakine sequence - it is a full fledged camera bag, with a deep gear section (had no problems with a gripped k5 or k20, and sigma 120-400mm with the hood extended down the middle). While being a full fledged camera gear bag, it is made by a company that makes backpacks first, and is very well supported to handle a lot of weight. The large section also opens inward (towards your back, so it has to be removed to get to your gear). Nobody will be getting into the bag but you when it is on your back.

10-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The bags from F-stop are also very good. What is especially great about them, is you buy an outer shell (the bag). and then ICU's (internal camera unit) to go in them. And as they are not expensive, you can buy a few from small to big, and make the bag really suit to the amount of gear you want to take. Not taking much, put the small icu in, and you have room for extra stuff. Need the to take lot of gear, put in a big ICU (or two small ones)
10-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BTW, the OP no longer has his 645D or Pentax gear.
10-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #25

I'm using a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro - and it's getting quite full.
10-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I've been using a ThinkTank Retrospective 20, but with the 645N and three lenses it feels heavy on the shoulder. In fact, the LowePro Fastpack 350, which can hold more, is more comfortable and cheaper to boot. Only in very hot weather, I'd prefer a shoulderbag (now filled with the Makina 67, and that's light and great, if only the W55 model were not so expensive I'd buy it and add it to that bag).

Last edited by Smolk; 10-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.
10-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
MarieDJ

Gosh, I have a P67 with 3 lenses that I use often and for that I use:

Lowepro - Flipside 300

I know it's lowepro, but the concept is nice. Or, maybe this:

Obscura | Clik Elite
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

how about a jeep cherokee?