Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #1

ACR Lens Profiles for P645?

I downloaded the Adobe Camera Raw 6.4 update, and noticed a bunch of Pentax lens profiles for the K-5 and some 645 lenses.

Wow! Click on Enable Lens Correction, Auto and choose Pentax as the make and ACR detects my 31mm limited and fixes some vignetting and distortion. It even detected my manual 50mm although it auto-chose f1.4 instead of f1.7.

But, I have some scanned slides from my P645N; JPEGS without metadata. I didn't expect auto detect to work, but I couldn't even select Pentax as the camera make in order to manually set the lens.

Anybody know why this might be?

I'm using ACR out of Bridge, but I don't think that should be a problem.

05-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

ACR doesn't really allow you to use lens profiles for files with no EXIF data because from what I understand ACR takes things like focus distance into account when it it doing the corrections.

in LR3 you can manually select a lens profile.
05-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
What is weird is that Nikon and Sigma are available options in the "Make" drop-down, so ACR permits me to assign a Sigma 50mm to my image. It just doesn't offer me the opportunity to even choose Pentax in the "Make" drop-down. Does that make sense?

I wonder if it has something to do with scanned photos without EXIF or metadata.

I've been meaning to write a script to write EXIF and IPTC data to all images in a directory. IPTC you can change in Bridge or whatever program. Scanned images have minimal EXIF information, and you have to brute force the edit using EXIFTOOL
05-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetaD Quote
I've been meaning to write a script to write EXIF and IPTC data to all images in a directory. IPTC you can change in Bridge or whatever program. Scanned images have minimal EXIF information, and you have to brute force the edit using EXIFTOOL
Here is a start...

And before any you clock cycle counters whine about, oh, you could do that all in one command with the line continuation, "/" and save redundant calls. I say BFD. We are not running in a loop, over and over and the line continuation is a gotcha for cutting and pasting across the web. That is, it breaks too easy. If you get an extra white space that is not an EOL character, it breaks which can happen and maybe the person using it doesn't know that.

Sometimes knowing what the actual exif meta data reserved word is difficult. What the exiftool spits out in a query is not always what it actually is but rather his words.

#! /bin/bash

# Pass the file on the command line as the first argument
MOD_FILE=$1

# Clear existing EXIF data
exiftool -all= $MOD_FILE

exiftool -DateTimeOriginal="2011:03:19 10:43:00" $MOD_FILE
exiftool -Model='Hasselblad 500C/M' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -Make='Hasselblad' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -FocalLength='50' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -Lens="Zeiss Distagon CF T* FLE 50mm f4" $MOD_FILE
exiftool -ISO='100' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -ApertureValue='11' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -ExposureTime='0.066667' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -MeteringMode='Spot' $MOD_FILE
#exiftool -ExposureCompensation='0' $MOD_FILE
#exiftool -Flash='On, Fired' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -Flash='No Flash' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -Comment='Fuji 100 Acros @ EI50' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -Software='CS5' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -HostComputer='Mac OS X' $MOD_FILE
exiftool -Copyright="XXXXX" $MOD_FILE
exiftool -ColorSpace="sRGB" $MOD_FILE
exiftool -ExposureMode="Manual" $MOD_FILE

05-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Exiftool is awesome! Here are some scripts that I use from the command line. (Sorry PC guys; maybe you can do similar things in DOS)

Exiftool docs are at:
exiftool Application Documentation

You can do a lot of things in file viewing software, like Bridge, but usually they protect you against changing intrinsic photo metadata like aperture, equivalent focal length, exposure, etc...

Run this to see a list of all tags in a file:

exiftool -s sample3.jpg > tmp0

Run the following (all at once) to give you an idea of a more finite set of EXIF and IPTC data elements:

exiftool -S -G -file:ALL sample3.jpg > tmp
exiftool -S -G -pentax sample3.jpg >> tmp
exiftool -S -G -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude -c "%.6f" sample3.jpg >> tmp
exiftool -S -G -iptc:ALL sample3.jpg >> tmp
exiftool -S -G -XMP-photoshop:ALL sample3.jpg >> tmp
exiftool -S -G -xmp:author:ALL sample3.jpg >> tmp

Here are several of my scripts, including examples using a loop to apply changes to metadata in all jpg files of a subdirectory. (Danger, Will Robinson!!!)

#!/bin/sh
# Bash Script to add write artist tags to all jpgs in directory using exiftool .
# Reference:
# find . -type f -print | while read i; do touch "${i}"; done
# do loop splits on spaces, but read doesn't
# -r - recursively process files in subdirectories

# cat a.jpg | exiftool -iptc:keywords+=fantastic - > b.jpg
# exiftool -Keywords+=word -o newfile.jpg src.jpg ... Copy a source image to a new file, and add a keyword (word) to the current list of keywords.
# exiftool -all= dst.jpg .... Delete all meta information from an image.
# exiftool -keywords=EXIF -keywords=editor dst.jpg ... Replace existing keyword list with two new keywords (EXIF and editor).

# add Keyword "Horses" to all jpg's in the present directory:
find . -name "*.jpg" -print | while read filename
do
exiftool -Keywords+=Horses "${filename}" | exiftool -
done;

# add a bunch of photographer and city information to all the jpg's in a directory
find . -name "*.jpg" -print | while read filename
do
exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -City="Denver" -Province-State="Colorado" -State="Colorado" -Country="USA" -Location="Denver, Colorado, USA" -By-line="Tom Stermitz, Photokinesis.INFO" -By-lineTitle="Photographer" -AuthorsPosition="Photographer" -Rights=" Tom Stermitz, PhotoKinesis.INFO, 2011" -CopyrightNotice=" Tom Stermitz, PhotoKinesis.US, 2011" -Credit="stermitz@tango.org" -Source="http://photokinesis.us" -EditStatus="NFS" -UsageTerms="All rights reserved, no reproduction without prior permission" -CreatorWorkURL="http://photokinsis.info" -CreatorPostalCode="80207" "${filename}"
done;

#Forgot to set camera date and time? Shift all the image capture dates by 9 years, 5 months and 18 days
find . -name "*.JPG" -print | while read filename
do
exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -DateTimeOriginal+='9:5:0 0:0:0' -DateTimeOriginal-='0:0:18 0:0:0' "${filename}"
done;
05-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Found the following information in one of my K-5 images after applying lens profile correction in Bridge. Now I need to figure out the equivalent tags for my P645N scans. Not sure if I add it here or I need to do it in ACR. Maybe if I update the "make" tag, ACR will then be able to find my lens profiles....

Speaking of P645N, I have data-edge printing on each negative, which "somebody" could enter into my exif data. Hmmm... I enter it all into an excel datasheet, export to a tab-delimited file, and figure out a way to update each file with the appropriate data. Awk, sed, grep, perl and JSON?

CameraProfile : Adobe Standard
CameraProfileDigest : AC0105253B072D150D408CC3CECBEB51
LensProfileSetup : LensDefaults
LensProfileName : Adobe (smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8AL Limited)
LensProfileFilename : PENTAX (smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8AL Limited).lcp
LensProfileDigest : F57F5F1B44034E39ABEE9AE6F1F864AC
LensProfileDistortionScale : 100
LensProfileChromaticAberrationScale: 100
LensProfileVignettingScale : 100