Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Pentax 645d RAW File and Converter Questions

Hi, new member here.

I just joined because I can't find any information on the best RAW set up to use with this camera.

Is PEF better than DNG, or vice versa? Was trying to find out if one had any benefit over the other.

Also, what is the best RAW converter for 645d files? I am a long time Capture One user and hate the fact that it doesn't support the 645d. I know this might be somewhat subjective, but when I say "best" converter I am talking about image quality which is the most important thing to me. Again, is there a "magic" file type (pef/dng) to go with a converter that equals the best image quality?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I appreciate any inputs people can provide.

Regards,

Nick

05-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image quality is the same for the two formats; they represent the same data.

DNG is more versatile because more imaging software can work with DNG than with PEF. Perhaps also Capture One can handle DNG files?
05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Since I can make DNG's from the PEF files I will shoot PEF for now and then play with the files in different converters. Thanks again!