Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 04:10 AM   #1

Attn geeks: Need recommendations for SD cards

When I received my 645D yesterday I inserted two Sandisk Ultra 8 gb cards. They are rated 15mb sec. They seem to take awhile to write and access review. Is there a better card for the camera, I was thinking 32mb, or is the slow write time due to the large file? There are so many choices in all price ranges, some for video, so I would like to narrow this down to the most reliable and good price performance ratio.

Thanks
Aboud

06-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Kingston UHS-1 SD card's performance is supposed to be the fastest at 233x – up to 60MB/sec. read, and 35MB/sec. write. If you want to stay with the Sandisk name then SanDisk’s Extreme III SDHC memory cards purport to go above and beyond the Class 10 standard by attaining write speeds of 30 Mbps.
06-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I have always preferred the older rate ratings as opposed to the current class designations. Here is a link that contains 2 tables - one with the class ratings and then the other for the older rate ratings (32x, 66x, etc.).I have always gone for the older 133x card, which are essentially faster than the current crop of cards listed as "Class 10".

I would do a search on the higher rates like "SHSD 150x".Then you run in to the problem where a card claims "Class 6" but also "150x". In this instance for the read and write speeds, I would tend to go with the 150x - but look at the claimed r/w speeds to see what is listed.

06-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have always preferred the older rate ratings as opposed to the current class designations. Here is a link that contains 2 tables - one with the class ratings and then the other for the older rate ratings (32x, 66x, etc.)........I have always gone for the older 133x card, which are essentially faster than the current crop of cards listed as "Class 10".
I agree with you about the class ratings being somewhat deceptive and also prefer the older "x" ratings. However, the cards I listed are significantly faster than the 133x cards you refer to in your post. If you want to see a side-by-side of the Class 10 cards you can go to:
SD Memory Card Performance And Standards : 10 SDXC/SDHC Memory Cards, Rounded Up And Benchmarked

I find their side-by-side comparisons to be excellent and their ratings to be much more real world use based than nearly any other site. As you can see they list both the Class and the "x" rating where available. However, neither is the ultimate measure of a cards performance.

06-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the 645D is as fast as the K-5 is, since they run the same file-handling, 14-bit and have the same processor PRIME-II on board. Only thing is the filesize and pixelcount from the 645D that is holding you back. Max to getting out of the camera is SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s and they are faster then some other class 10 cards that handel like 23 MB/s. You can also buy SanDisk Pro cards UHS-I 45MB/s but they won't be faster.

For fastest handling just put al lenscorrections to off, noisereduction off and some energyconsuming things. It still will take 3-4 seconds before one RAW picture is ready to review.
06-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #6

Hi Aboud,

A while back when I first found the 645D was fustratingly slow to write and ultimately display an image (although it has a decent buffer to taken a series of shots)...I was able to borrow and try some of the fastest SDHC and SDXC card available on the market vs. a regular "budget"Transcend class 6 and class 10 SDHC cards. Along with another's shooters 645D we performed some "timing" tests with all cards. The upshot was the fastest cards on the market didn't accelerate write/display speeds even 1 second faster than a decent moderate speed class 6/class 10 SDHC card. It appeared the bottleneck is either the 645D internal processor (probable casuse) or algorythms in writing files. Faster processors and associated electronics for a camera like this can be more expensive and in order to keep the 645D at a certain price point, Pentax decided to go with what they did. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one particular aspect addressed in future itinerations of this camera as it is the one glaring area that obvious to most 645D shooters. At least the buffer is decent so a series (burst) of shots can be taken.

At the very least I saved a buddle of money in not having to purchase faster cards than I already had. Whether there is a card or brand of cards that I didn't get to try that would speed up write speeds I cannot say, but comparing my class 6 and class 10 reasonably priced Transcend cards (definitely far from the fastest cards on the market) to the fastest cards available, (such as Sandisk's or Lexar's cards very lastest and fastest cards), didn't help speed matters along....unfortunately.

Dave (DandA)
06-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Max to getting out of the camera is SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s and they are faster then some other class 10 cards that handel like 23 MB/s. You can also buy SanDisk Pro cards UHS-I 45MB/s but they won't be faster.
+1 - I always use sandisk memory cards because of their reliability, speed and excellent customer support.
06-19-2011, 03:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
+1 - I always use sandisk memory cards because of their reliability, speed and excellent customer support.
Thanks Gang for all the info. I'm going to go with the extreme III.