Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know the answer before I ask, but...

...I will ask it anyway. It is completely irrational, but I have lately been taken with an acute attack of CBA. This time I am considering getting a 645N.

Please, fellow sufferers, lend me some sanity! What do you all think?
  • Complete foolishness...go home and enjoy the cameras you have and use the roll-film holder with the view camera if you insist on shooting 120/220
  • Good idea, but you should really be shooting with a Pentax 6x7
  • Good idea, but you should really be shooting with a Hasselblad, Mamiya, etc. (I probably should have bought Luc's Hassy while he had it for sale. Heck, I probably should have bought his 645 stuff!)
  • Good idea, be sure to get the following list of accessories...
  • Good idea, be sure to get the following LENSES!!!

Steve

06-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about: ALL OF THE ABOVE!
  • It is foolishness, I've used my P645 far less than I thought I would - it's the weight/bulk... and I wanted to see a modern 120 camera. I've now seen it. Nice, but like I say, I don't use it much.
  • Good idea, but given what I just said, wouldn't the 6x7 have been AT LEAST as good? Plus, you can adapt 67 lenses to K mount and retain auto aperture. Can't do so with 645 lenses.
  • Good idea, P645 stuff is either pentax-available (i.e. rarely) and/or digital-expensive (i.e. thank you Pentax for the 645D), while some other makes are available-available and not bid up by digi-heads.
  • Good idea... Good idea... you need some of the things that coddle your eye, an AF280T, and what's the use of getting an interchangeable lens camera if you don't get any lenses?

Overall, if I had it to do all over again, I might, might, not buy a P645. For what I've used it, I got some excellent kitten photos... but otherwise nothing I could not have done with the Medalist or one of the folders or TLRs.
06-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Plus, you can adapt 67 lenses to K mount and retain auto aperture. Can't do so with 645 lenses.
What's this about retaining auto aperture? I have P67 SMC Takumar 300/4.0 with genuine Pentax P67~P645 adapter + P645~PK adapter and an aftermarket P67~PK adapter. Whether the combination of the first two adapters or the aftermarket adapter is used to mount the lens on my K20D, it's strictly Av mode with stopped down metering. This is also true with P645 lens + P645~PK adapter mounted on to the K20D.

If you can enlighten me with a way to get some automation with P67 lens on a Pentax DSLR, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
06-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My bad, I thought I read that somewhere when I was researching the lens Mark Fisher had mounted on his K10D, in my daughter's photo. Now I went to look and it clearly says stop down operation. But shh. don't tell Steve, how else are we going to get him to buy a P645, a P67, and a Hassy?

06-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mum's the word!
06-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...But shh. don't tell Steve, how else are we going to get him to buy a P645, a P67, and a Hassy?
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Mum's the word!
...I think that is how I ended up with the Kiev-4A, FED-2, Zorki-4K, AND a Canon P...

Steve

(...and to think...I was perfectly happy with my Yashica Lynx...)
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Steve, of course you need all of those range finders (and where's the Konica?!!? You need a Konica!), after all they each... erm... But Hey! The First Roll is in my Kiev 4; the meter actually works... and although it was difficult for me to focus on a single flower all the other focusing was OK. Nice camera. I understand your need. I need a Canon P

06-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have only one thing to say : I love my 645N
06-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, get the 6x7 and if that doesn't satisfy your addiction, then add the 645N as well!

Steve (fellow camera addict)
06-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It never ends, at least not for me. I keep wondering how well my 6X7 lenses would work on a 645D.

I don't have an answer for you, but if you'd like to run a few rolls through my 6X7, I'd let it out for a day [with significant other or first-born as deposit - just kidding].
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Woo! Hoo! A fellow PF member is going to lend his 645N kit to me for awhile so that I can see how I like it. What can I say! Most excellent online friends! I will report back on my experience and hopefully even have photos to post!

Steve
06-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I don't have an answer for you, but if you'd like to run a few rolls through my 6X7, I'd let it out for a day [with significant other or first-born as deposit - just kidding].
My first-born has fledged and is in China for a month and I am single so I have nothing for surety. I have been tempted, however, to see if the good folk at Blue Moon might rent the 6x7 they have on the shelf for a day or so. It looks SO HUGE, but then again, I have monster-size hands

Steve
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My first-born has fledged and is in China for a month and I am single so I have nothing for surety. I have been tempted, however, to see if the good folk at Blue Moon might rent the 6x7 they have on the shelf for a day or so. It looks SO HUGE, but then again, I have monster-size hands

Steve
Seriously, I'd be fine with you taking my 6X7 and a few lenses for the day. I'm south of downtown Stumptown a bit, but it should be no more than than 1/2 hour from the Columbia outside of rush hour. Perhaps we can do a photo excursion together. I'll be around till mid-July then back in early August.
06-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good idea, but you should really be shooting with a Pentax 6x7

OK, that's my input done!
I think you will have fun with any of those options Steve. Surely the 645 or 6x7 will provide a lot more convenience, versatility (?) and speed than the view camera with 120 roll film back.
Looking forward to seeing some shots!
06-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Seriously, I'd be fine with you taking my 6X7 and a few lenses for the day. I'm south of downtown Stumptown a bit, but it should be no more than than 1/2 hour from the Columbia outside of rush hour. Perhaps we can do a photo excursion together. I'll be around till mid-July then back in early August.
Sounds like it might be fun. I like to shoot downtown early on Sundays on occasion so that might be a possibility. PM me and we can work out a date/time.

Steve