Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #1

Pentax - Ricoh and the Medium Format (MF)

I wonder what future Medium Format (MF) will have at the new Ricoh-Pentax company: From the press release:
QuoteQuote:
... 3) Other benefits * Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras ..
It sounds a little bit indifferent for me ?

07-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Using the medium format for their scanning business who is big. Not consumer scanning
07-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Daydream: Ricoh + Pentax = superior 120 and 135 film scanner, at an Epson price

Oh, and while at it, Pentax comes out with a film version of the 645D
07-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Forget this, no R&D money fro this extremelly small market

07-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I believe it is called the 645NII...still in the catalog for the home market...

Steve

(...could not resist )
07-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

Here I am trying to sell one kidney to pay for the 645D and Pentax is under new ownership!! I will have to cancel my surgery.

Warren
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkkato Quote
Here I am trying to sell one kidney to pay for the 645D and Pentax is under new ownership!! I will have to cancel my surgery.

Warren
Why? Pentax is not going out of business. It is simply changing ownership. Nothing really happened when Konica Minolta switched to Sony, the product lines continued.

07-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
BJP about the fusion:
QuoteQuote:

But while Pentax and Ricoh remain tight-lipped on how they will achieve these goal, BJP's technical expert Richard Kilpatrick takes a look at the current state of both manufacturers - asking whether the deal makes sense.

"In a move that seems almost opposite to Sony's acquisition of the Minolta camera business from Konica-Minolta in 2006, copier giant Ricoh's purchase of Pentax from optical firm Hoya makes little sense on the surface," he says.
But, Pentax could benefit from Ricoh's interest for the medium format market, says Kilpatrick.

"Ricoh is considerably larger than Hoya and should be in a position to invest heavily in the technology and pipeline behind the 40-megapixel sensor, particularly if the stated intention of pursing the 'archival image' market is to bear fruit. A [new version of the] 645D with better raw processing and 16-bit capture would be an intimidating product for the opposition at both the entry level medium format camera and high-end DSLR segments, and Ricoh has been quick to adopt new secondary technologies like SDXC and higher resolution displays."

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2083382/pentax-sold-ricoh-sense
07-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The British Journal of Photography is really populated with snobs.
07-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
The British Journal of Photography is really populated with snobs.
No, the expert is just not relevant (which tells a lot about "experts") there are real and significant reasons on why a photographer would like to buy a PhaseOne or an Hasselblad over a 645D, but 16bit raw isn't one of them. I posted a comment about it.

This is down to the "APSC is for amateurs" subject which is utterly ridiculous (most pros have less budget than many wealthy amateurs)

Anyway, I checked the background of the author (well googled it) and his street cred is quite low. He is an "expert" mainly because he speak about those subjects in camera magazines. Being a journalist doesn't make you the last word in every subject.

If I was to trust the word of anybody regarding the respective processing qualities of Raw output from different makers, I would check for people like Ctein from Online Photographer who is a master printer and photographer and is actually capable of telling if it makes a difference in real life situations.
07-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
No, the expert is just not relevant.................
The comments are more insightful than the article.
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Why? Pentax is not going out of business. It is simply changing ownership. Nothing really happened when Konica Minolta switched to Sony, the product lines continued.
Then enlighten us on the future of the 645D system. It is not so much if they are going out of business or not but what the devil they will be doing in the future. I don't really see myself carrying around a Ricoh or Pentax copy machine around in my bag.
07-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Then enlighten us on the future of the 645D system. It is not so much if they are going out of business or not but what the devil they will be doing in the future. I don't really see myself carrying around a Ricoh or Pentax copy machine around in my bag.
Huhh? Is there any doubt of its future?
07-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Huhh? Is there any doubt of its future?
There's plenty of vagary there in the Ricoh statement.
07-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There's plenty of vagary there in the Ricoh statement.
They are looking to pursue medium-format for documentation and so the first action would be to drop the 645D line? As far as MFD, the 645D seems to be a success, so they will drop it? They just released the 645 25mm, which Ricoh would have known about, so then they drop the line? And because they have been sold to a richer company, they will now drop the 645D?

Naturally, if you can find a more detailed statement about product line development in any merger press release, please let me know. Hasselblad just got sold and the buyer's statement is even more vague.

If Ricoh is wanting to build their photo division, they will build on successes, not eliminate them. Like Sony before them, this purchase is a great way to enter photographic markets like DSLRs and MFD. I think the cache of being in the MFD market is going to help their image, no pun intended.

I really don't understand the panic this merger has caused.