Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #46
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
One thing would be interesting. In the viewfinder of the 645D, it has a countdown timer for the remaining time on the dark frame subtraction noise reduction. Doe the Nikon have that also?
I didn't observe any countdown- all that was shown in the viewfinder was bu and the f stop. On the LCD, the remaining space on the SDs started flashing to indicate that NR was in progress. The rear LCD was locked up.

Similarly on the Nikon, a "Job Nr" message flashes on the top lcd and the rear lcd is locked up. The message is also indicated in the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I didn't observe any countdown- all that was shown in the viewfinder was bu and the f stop. On the LCD, the remaining space on the SDs started flashing to indicate that NR was in progress. The rear LCD was locked up.

Similarly on the Nikon, a "Job Nr" message flashes on the top lcd and the rear lcd is locked up. The message is also indicated in the viewfinder.
Adam, when noise reduction is being applied, look through the viewfinder and press the shutter button partway down. You will see the countdown timer in the aperture/shutter speed display. This is not on the LCD.

BTW, do you have the 1.02 firmware?

Last edited by Yamanobori; 07-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
07-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the meantime, I'll be happy to entertain any questions about the cameras' features, or perform any user-requested tests in addition to what we have planned. I'm all ears!
Photos of ears, then.

Also, feet. Everyone now and then I accidentally have a shot of my foot when lowering the camera. I get the occasional happy accident.
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Here's a possible test scenario.

07-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #50
Banned

Less intrusive would be a HSS flash photo of something moving fast. Can it work at 1/4000th or so?
07-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #51
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Adam, when noise reduction is being applied, look through the viewfinder and press the shutter button partway down. You will see the countdown timer in the aperture/shutter speed display. This is not on the LCD.
Nope, and that's why it wasn't shown. This unit has the original firmware. Handy feature, though!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Perhaps you can update the 645D firmware for your comparison...

07-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #53
Banned

Maybe some nice DOF shot to see the difference between K-5, D3x and 645D from the same seen.
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #54
Veteran Member

You need to use the new bloody-meat limited edition 645D in your test.
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You need to use the new bloody-meat limited edition 645D in your test.
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Pentax is really starting to beat a dead horse with this...did you see our beautiful gallery of limiteds on the homepage?

Adam

07-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #56
Forum Member

Since it was mentioned that the D3x is good for landscapes, do a real life comparison using eqivalent lenses:

D3x/14-24mm lens @ 20mm from f/8 through f/22
vs.
645D/25mm from f/11 through f/32

Shoot hyperfocally with subjects at the nearest focus distance (for each f/stop) to infinity.

Then compare the sharpness and resolution throughout.

That test would provide information that would actually apply to real world landscapes.

Thanks,
Mike

(D3x/14-24mm lens @ 20mm with 645D/25mm lens) Compare the Nikon/14-24mm lens with the 645D/25mm lens using hyperfocal distance from 3 feet to infinity.
07-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chicagonature Quote
Since it was mentioned that the D3x is good for landscapes, do a real life comparison using eqivalent lenses:

D3x/14-24mm lens @ 20mm from f/8 through f/22
vs.
645D/25mm from f/11 through f/32

Shoot hyperfocally with subjects at the nearest focus distance (for each f/stop) to infinity.

Then compare the sharpness and resolution throughout.

That test would provide information that would actually apply to real world landscapes.

Thanks,
Mike

(D3x/14-24mm lens @ 20mm with 645D/25mm lens) Compare the Nikon/14-24mm lens with the 645D/25mm lens using hyperfocal distance from 3 feet to infinity.
Aw come on! At least give the Nik a chance by using a prime!
07-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #58
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The 25mm for the 645d isn't available- but we used the G 35mm F1.4 and the FA 45/FA 48-85 for equivalent comparisons.

Adam

07-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #59
Banned

One thing that's proved to be a major turn-off is the 645D's slow recording speed. While with the Nikon there is literally no lag when going back to look at an image that was just shot (even when shooting RAW or in continuous mode), with the Pentax you have to wait several seconds. For $10,000, one could expect a faster processor and some more RAM inside the body.
What other $10,000 medium-format 40MP digital camera has a faster processor?
Just because it's medium format doesn't mean it's off the hook for bad hardware, I don't think!
Well if you have the time to test it. We had the same trouble with the slow processing when we had a testtime (just an 2 hour date with the 645D and a representative salesman). So we put in two fast cards, so we both go home with a card with all the shots. (where I did the test with the fisheye lens)

2 fast cards; continous shooting; RAW+jpg; lenscorrections and chromatic aberations correction set ON; Take a set of 10 (or full buffer) pictures and just time till it is al desorbed and written simultanous to the two cards. I think you may even drink some coffee.
Or just the RAW to one card and the JPG with all lenscorrections to the second card, wich makes sence on how to use the two slots.

I had the waiting at Photokina where I took like 20 pictures or so, but I had a 512MB (no class) old card with me, so that writing time was like 20 seconds for each picture.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-15-2011 at 07:13 AM.
07-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Yes, but using x133 class10 SD cards and putting off the lens corrections (which can be used later on "action" when necessary, as they only apply to Jpeg files) reduces the writing time to about 4 seconds, which is not that bad considering 40Mpix files...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-15-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: complement