Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Hey Adam, test the weather-sealing of both.
Dunk them both in a bucket, shoot them out in heavy rain. And get them splattered all over with lots of mud and dirt, then hose them off. They are pro tools, they should be able to take it.

07-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hehe- considering that only two Pentax 645 lenses and five Nikon lenses are weather resistant, that would be suicide :P

In any case, we've started doing some test shots- and we examined first those from the K-7 (as a benchmark), then the D3x, and finally the 645D. The difference in resolution is quite dramatic, and is clearly visible in both landscape and close-up photos going from one body to the next.

The 645D certainly has its merits, but it seems that the majority of the interface design is shared with the K-5. While it's a little bit more intuitive than that of the Nikon (and I'm not saying this just because I'm experienced with the Pentax system), lots of the pro/handy features present in the Nikon are missing in the Pentax, some of which could probably easily be added via firmware.

One thing that's proved to be a major turn-off is the 645D's slow recording speed. While with the Nikon there is literally no lag when going back to look at an image that was just shot (even when shooting RAW or in continuous mode), with the Pentax you have to wait several seconds. For $10,000, one could expect a faster processor and some more RAM inside the body.

That's it for now. We ran into car problems today, so we will continue shooting more landscapes tomorrow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For $10,000, one could expect a faster processor and some more RAM inside the body.
What other $10,000 medium-format 40MP digital camera has a faster processor?
07-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just because it's medium format doesn't mean it's off the hook for bad hardware, I don't think!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm happy to say that the DOF test as requested will be included in the review!

Adam

07-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
Agree with RAWR, if both cameras are for landscape, test them in the great outdoors. Take them to somewhere wet, somewhere dusty, somewhere very hot, and somewhere freezing cold.... Well if that's not available on expenses, I guess it can be simulated. Any objections from manufacturers to this test might be equally revealing.
07-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another thing that might be of interest is a long exposure test at various ISO values with and without Dark frame subtraction - and to see the effectiveness of DFS and see if AMP glow is an issue.

some studio shots with models to evaluate skin tone rendition would also be of interest for those in commercial portraiture.

07-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Adam:
The write speed is faster if you disable lens correction in the menu ( but still slow). It's only an issue if you want to view the image instantly and it doesn't prevent taking another exposure.
I see the value in this comparison, as the two cameras are about the same cost, however in some ways it's like comparing a pick-up to a sedan. The vechicles have different purposes.
07-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do some typical studio photos w/ both (70mm+ effective focal length, f/8-11)....full length, beauty shots, 100% crops....print to something big, scan the same areas.

I know Pentax isn't aiming the 645D at it, but that's the other thing MF cams are used for besides landscape...
07-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Just because it's medium format doesn't mean it's off the hook for bad hardware, I don't think!
Do you think Pentax kept the cost down by making the fastest most bestest MFD camera on the market? Just look at how cheap a Phase One IQ140 back costs. And then you are going to compare that to the most expensive 35mm DSLR on the market where cost does not seen to be a concern?

And your conclusion is the Pentax has bad hardware. Well, this is going to be a fair and honest comparison...
07-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #41
Veteran Member

PLEASE - compare some large prints side by side.
I'd love to see something like a 24 by 32 inch print from both and compare them side by side for colour rendition, dynamic range and sharpness. The 1D and D3 owners I know that have seen my 24x32 prints are blown away by them.

DR is a big one for me - In my own tests prior to buying my 645D (though using a D3s) I shot the same scene with a large exposure range. The scene was a model on a set of stairs, outdoors, below the stairs was very dark, the model iand lower part of the stairs n shade, the upper parts of the frame in full sun.

What could be recovered from the shadows from the Nikon raw file was pretty impressive, what could be bought out even more from the 645D file was amazing. The blown out portion on the Nikon file was unrecoverable, but managed to get a little bit of detail back from the 645D file.

100% crops showing the resolution, especially from controlled situations like a studio shoot, really show the 645D's strength. Throw in the ability to shoot a bit wider, then crop to suit later is a definite advantage.
With the D3s the upper part of the wall was completely blown out and featureless, underneath the stairs you could see something was there, but not make out any detail in the darker areas.
With the 645D you could clearly make out the pipes and a bright orange witches hat/cone that had been stuffed under the stairs, and whilst the bricks were still blown out at the top, you could still make out the darker mortar and see the pattern of bricks continuing.
Both shots were taken with auto exposure in Av mode, and the metering set to full/auto rather than spot or centre weighted.
07-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #42
Banned

One thing that's proved to be a major turn-off is the 645D's slow recording speed. While with the Nikon there is literally no lag when going back to look at an image that was just shot (even when shooting RAW or in continuous mode), with the Pentax you have to wait several seconds. For $10,000, one could expect a faster processor and some more RAM inside the body.
Well the 645D runs on the same system as K-7 (and K-5) only having 14-bit imagedevelopment makes it slow and then the extra pixelamount. This just needs to be updated, and I think that Pentax should offer current owners an option to send their 645D in and get the module with proceesor exchanged (at a charge ofcourse). I think the camera should support UHS-I and be able to keep up shooting at Hi continious speed!

Question: What in heavens name is the difference between Hi- and Low-continious shooting?

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
the great outdoors. . . somewhere wet, somewhere dusty, somewhere very hot, and somewhere freezing cold....

guess it can be simulated.
That means: Top of a large building, gardenhose, going to some horses, a pizzaguy's oven and a butcher. Not to much to ask

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Question: What in heavens name is the difference between Hi- and Low-continious shooting?
The 645D only has one speed, 1.1fps, and the buffer goes up to 13 frames or so.

While not nearly as useful on the 645D, one neat feature that the Nikon had was a readout of how much space remained in the buffer, so that you know when the shooting will stop.

Adam

07-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #44
Pentaxian

...The 645D certainly has its merits, but it seems that the majority of the interface design is shared with the K-5. ....

To be accurate, the 645D menus are directly inherited from the K-7, and to me a "K-5 like" firmware would already be an easy step up, including the memory of the last changed parameter, the menu classification, aso ...

Re Nikon's champion comparison, i would like to see if any dynamic range difference can be practically experienced, or if this is just "DxO-scope" theory.
07-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

One thing would be interesting. In the viewfinder of the 645D, it has a countdown timer for the remaining time on the dark frame subtraction noise reduction. Doe the Nikon have that also?