Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I'd think marine grade aluminum (4000, 5000 and 6000 series aluminum) would be more desirable for corrosion resistance in salt water and being weldable than aircraft grade aluminum which is predominately 2000 and 7000 series aluminum in various tempers and not weldable.

The 6000 series, which has a much lower yield strength than 2000 and 7000 series, is commonly used on the plane's interior parts for its ductility to break forming using tighter bend radii without needing to be formed in an annealed state and then heat treated in addition to being able to be brush finished for decorative applications.

Last edited by tuco; 07-18-2011 at 09:03 AM.
07-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #17

Aluminum grades is not my area of expertise but you may find an answer in this series of articles on how most modern aluminum housings are made.

The Making Of A Housing - Designing and Machining

The Making Of A Housing - Treating and Labeling

The Making Of A Housing - Assembly And Testing

The Aquatica company once made a housing for the Mamiya RZ-67 with macro and dome ports and Gates housings made this housing for the Hassy 903SWC, http://phaseoneunderwater.com/about/

The Pentax 645D being much more of a field camera than the other offerings (weather sealing,etc.) seems an idel camera for U/W MF photography. Cost of course is an issue but many U/W photographers are using Canon and Nikon's top pro cameras, so for a few the idea of spending this kind of money is not unrealistic.

Phil Rudin

Last edited by PHIL RUDIN; 07-18-2011 at 09:59 AM.
07-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PHIL RUDIN Quote
This image of the Peacock Flounder was taken with the Hasselblad H3D-II-50 and the 120 mm macro lens in the Ultima Digital housing with macro port. The fish is appox. eight inches (200mm) long.

Phil Rudin
Very nice pict of an unforeseen (to me) and so camaeleon fish !
07-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote
Yeah, I dive when I can, but I've never been able to get into underwater photography beyond a P&S and housing. If anyone here is tempted, first realise that any housing can and will flood. So don't start unless you can honestly consider both camera and lens as an expendable cost! In any case, the housing will very likely cost more than both of them (sometimes combined!). Good luck to the people who can afford it though - I'm glad there are people who get to bring the flavour of why diving is such a rewarding pastime to the non-divers!
this is the same for me.
I currently use an eos 300 + 50mm 1.8 (around $150 together in a housing that cost me $500, but back when it was new would have been $2.5k !

Underwater is good fun but to commit to these big prices is hard if you only dive occationally.

Closed Thread