Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which combination of tripod and head do you use with your MF camera?

Which combination of tripod and head do you use with your MF (medium format) camera?
Was your combination sufficient good even for longer exposure (several minutes)?
Is possible obtain good result even using a light carbon tripod (1kg or a little more) with a good ball-head with a Ball Diameter of 40mm?

07-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think 1kg is feather weight for medium format even if it's carbon tripod. I think Gitzo series 2 (or equivalence) is really the minimal requirement, series 3 is much preferred for exposure that long. Photoclam PC-40 ballhead should be a good match for the series 2, or Arca Swiss Z1 for series 3, but the choices are so vast it will be a tough pick.
07-21-2011, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have too many tripods but these are the main ones I am currently using:

Gitzo 2331 aluminium tripod* and for 645~67 I use a range of different tripod heads depending on my needs: I use a Manfrotto 405 due to it's high precision movements I also use a BH-55 from RRS - when speed is a factor, and a Kirk king cobra for handling long lenses. For 4X5 and 8X10 format I use a Berlebach Uni 87 wood tripod and a Manfrotto 405 or BH-55 from RRS - but I have been using the manfrotto 405 more because it isn't so awkward to use as a ballhead is with such large and bulky large format cameras.

I also use a Manfrotto 055CX3 CF tripod for 35mm and APS-C I also have a Manfrotto 057CX on order - because my main gripe with tripods these days is that they aren't tall enough without using the central column- which kills stability.

*built like a tank, I do not really like CF tripods they are typically too light to be of much use, also carbon fibre transmits vibrations too easily. Carbon fibre tripods also become quite delicate in cold temperatures - but they do have their advantages for travelling/hiking photographers. I'm getting a 057CX because it has substantial weight and more importantly it is one of a handful of tripods that come close to my 188cm height - without extending the central column.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-21-2011 at 02:24 AM.
07-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use a Manfrotto CarbOne 441 CF tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 ballhead with medium format--645D, 6x6, and 6x12 with focal lengths up to 150mm. This works with exposures of one or two minutes.

07-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The generalities ignore shooting a MF camera with a WLF where you don't need to raise the tripod to eye-level, a MF camera that uses leaf shutter lenses and not shooting with large telephoto lenses where you actually can get by with a smaller tripod.

Last edited by tuco; 07-31-2011 at 08:26 AM.
07-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using my Giottos MT 9360 with Giottos MH 1301-656 ballhead with good success with the borrowed 645N. I have a longer Arca-Swiss plate than for use with the larger camera and it seems to hold well. I don't know that I would use other than the vertical center column position, however! (The 9360 has an articulated center column.)

I also use the 9360 with my view camera using an old Bogen 3D platform head.

Steve
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I use a Manfrotto CarbOne 441 CF tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 ballhead with medium format--645D, 6x6, and 6x12 with focal lengths up to 150mm. This works with exposures of one or two minutes.
A so limited time is caused from the tripod?
Or the ballhead?

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
also carbon fibre transmits vibrations too easily
Usually i heard the contrary, CF damper the vibration better.

07-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
A so limited time is caused from the tripod?
Or the ballhead?
I have just never tried longer exposures.
07-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Here is a Tripod Test done back in 2006 of some wood, carbon and aluminum tripods.
07-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Forum Member

I use Gitzo 3530s + Graf Studioball = perfect.
07-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Here is a Tripod Test done back in 2006 of some wood, carbon and aluminum tripods.
Interesting. Do you have some similar test more recent? With other models?

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaards Quote
... + Graf Studioball
On the long term with heavy weight seem that this ballhead isn't so good:
Graf Studioball (large size)
07-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 1kg tripod is useless for general outdoor photography. It cannot withstand wind (commonly found outdoors) and it does not have the mass to prevent vibrations and keeping the tripod solidly connected to mother earth on less than optimum substrates (also commonly found outdoors). Good tripod legs in the 2-3kg brackett + head should do the job....
07-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
Usually i heard the contrary, CF damper the vibration better.
Try shooting from an icebreaker in icy Arctic waters and you will see what I mean, also one of the legs of a colleagues CF tripod snapped like a twig because of the extreme cold (-25 degrees)

the berlebach wood tripod I use dampens vibrations from nearby train tracks and passing heavy veichles quite well - but it is heavy and quite large...as a matter of fact when I was doing some long exposure work near traffic with my 8X10 view camera I noticed many of the cars were driving a lot slower than usual on that particular stretch of road...they must have thought my 8X10 was a speed camera.
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
A 1kg tripod is useless for general outdoor photography. It cannot withstand wind (commonly found outdoors) and it does not have the mass to prevent vibrations and keeping the tripod solidly connected to mother earth on less than optimum substrates (also commonly found outdoors). Good tripod legs in the 2-3kg brackett + head should do the job....
These are shot on a compact tripod you'd thumb your nose at in disgust. Granted, a web display does not revel how sharp they'd actually print in A1 size. They most likely would show less than pristine perfect sharpness at that size (but there are other issues such as the lens being really stopped down). But from looking at the full size files and shots done on much larger tripods I have (even a wooden Ries with a heavy duty J 250 Tilt Head I have for my 4x5), they look pretty close. Close enough for the convenience of carrying an easy tripod and making all but the larger prints.

Pentax 6x7, 2 minute exposure in significant wind

Hasselblad 90 second exposure in calm conditions

Last edited by tuco; 07-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
07-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
A 1kg tripod is useless for general outdoor photography. It cannot withstand wind (commonly found outdoors) and it does not have the mass to prevent vibrations and keeping the tripod solidly connected to mother earth on less than optimum substrates
I disagree, even the strongest Gitzo system tripods can have have their stability compromised depending on how you use it, and the surfaces you place it on. Using a tripod isn't a simple matter of extending the legs composing the shot and taking it, there is extensive technique and planning ahead involved especially with long lenses. With wide angle lenses such techniques aren't as necessary but they still can be the difference between getting the shot and not. With my lighter tripods I often use my camera bag on a bungee to counteract vibrations and strong winds, having a heavy weight close to the ground lowers the centre of gravity and greatly enhances the stability of a tripod considerably. Using a tripod head that has a low profile head on it like the low profile Ballheads made by Gitzo do wonders for enhancing stability. Also spreading out the tripod legs and using a lower angle will often compositionally improve your images and from a stability standpoint lower the centre of balance of the tripod and assist in keeping vibrations to a minimum.