Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #1

new Pentax 645d user

I bought the new 645d. An important reason was this forum where I could find a lot of good stuff concerning 645d. Thus looking forward to getting my cam within the next two days and present some photos. Right now one photo from last week with my Nikon D700
I hope you are pleased neithertheless.
Ernst

07-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the camera- it's IQ is unrivaled by smaller format cams!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Adam,

I see the link doesn´t work. What is the best way to upload photos? I think there are problems with my mobileme gallery.
07-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What link? You can upload photos directly to your posts, or use our user photo gallery at Gallery - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
Presentation

Thanks Adam. I managed to upload

I uploaded once more with srgb because I forgot that prophoto color space is not the right one for web. sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by arcaswissi; 07-25-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Colors were bad.
07-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. Nice images.
07-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #7

Nice images! Hi all, I picked up on this thread as I have been researching the 645d and very close to a purchase.

Arcaswiss/Ernst, I am especially curious as you mention you currently own a D700. One of the few things holding me back from pulling the trigger yet is wondering if nikon will soon have a replacement for the D700 (and or D3s?). I am curious if there is anything specifically that got you over the hump to make the switch from your nikon system to the pentax medium format? Was it as simple as the resolution and larger sensor? Any insight is much appreciated.

Also, to anyone out there with the digital or film 645d cameras already: I would much appreciate opinions on which pentax 645 lenses you consider the absolute very best in quality (for the moment assuming price were no object). Part of why I also haven't pulled the trigger yet is lack of familiarity and detailed reviews on the lenses. I've looked through the forum lens comments here, but I'm looking specifically for comparative comments and for "special" lenses to go to as almost all of the comments are generally positive.

I currently use a Mamiya 7 medium format film system for most work and a D200 for general purpose. This would hopefully replace the bulk of what I do with both.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts!
07-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Jgan Quote
Nice images! Hi all, I picked up on this thread as I have been researching the 645d and very close to a purchase.

Arcaswiss/Ernst, I am especially curious as you mention you currently own a D700. One of the few things holding me back from pulling the trigger yet is wondering if nikon will soon have a replacement for the D700 (and or D3s?). I am curious if there is anything specifically that got you over the hump to make the switch from your nikon system to the pentax medium format? Was it as simple as the resolution and larger sensor? Any insight is much appreciated.

Also, to anyone out there with the digital or film 645d cameras already: I would much appreciate opinions on which pentax 645 lenses you consider the absolute very best in quality (for the moment assuming price were no object). Part of why I also haven't pulled the trigger yet is lack of familiarity and detailed reviews on the lenses. I've looked through the forum lens comments here, but I'm looking specifically for comparative comments and for "special" lenses to go to as almost all of the comments are generally positive.

I currently use a Mamiya 7 medium format film system for most work and a D200 for general purpose. This would hopefully replace the bulk of what I do with both.

I'm sure you will get many opinions. If you search some older posts, there are many lens suggestions. My experience: the 45~85 FA is fabulous. Maybe my copy is a good one, but this is my walkaround lens. My 120mm f4A Macro is the sharpest lens I have ever owned. I recently purchased the 300mm f4 A* with and without dedicated 1.4X extender (I posted examples on the board)...very pleased. Also the 75mm is excellant. I have others but have not gotten around to really using them. Good luck!
Dave

07-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jgan Quote

Hello Jgan,
thanks first. As for Nikon: I am still not sure if I give up Nikon totally because in low light the the D700 as well as the D3S are super. Years ago I walked with an Arca Swiss 4x5 inch and Mamiya RZ. I liked the kind of photography and still prefer it over digital. On the other hand I had so many troubles with labs killing my slides, loosing them and so on. I think there is no way back to anlalog for me.
The resolution for sure is a main reason but even more important for me are subtle color gradations and 3d look of medium format. I made the mistake and tested the IQ180 phase one and printed 2 photos on my Epson 3800. The difference to 24x36 is huge. Also one hour with the Pentax 645d showed me the possible quality of the larger files. The IQ180 is not within my financial idea of an amateurs cam thus the Pentax by the way for me the better cam than the Phase One will hopefully serve me as my photographic tool for the next years.
07-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can print 645D prints at 30x40". They're amazing...no grain...lots of dynamic range. I'm jealous :-)
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #11

Thanks!
07-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
CDW
Veteran Member

I was fortunate in owning a number of P645 and 67 lenses from MF film days. FWIW, here are my findings based on my personal experience and those of two other professional photographer friends who also now shoot with the 645D.

I own none of the new lenses made for the 645D, only 'legacy' Pentax lenses.

Manual focus 645 35mm: It can be extraordinary if you get a good copy. My copy is extremely good. One friend also has an excellent copy; the other friend's copy is average.

Manual focus 645 55mm: One friend has the 645D version and it is excellent. My manual focus legacy version is almost as good but has slightly less contrast and sharpness. My other friend rates his 55mm legacy version as also very good. I find it quite acceptable, especially when stitching multiple vertical frames. A well done 4-5 frame stitch is simply amazing. I use this lens more than other other.

AF 645 75mm: Used with my Pentax 645n, this lens is also very sharp with the 645D. Both friends own the older manual version. In a comparison, my AF version was slightly superior.

Manual focus 80-160mm zoom: My copy is acceptable but not in the league of sharpness and contrast delivered by the 75mm, 120 macro or 150 645 primes.

My first generation P 67 200mm and 105mm lenses are very so-so...would only use them in a pinch. My friends have noted, as have I, that the 35 and 55 mm primes work extremely well even when stopped down to F16-22. The 645D files are extremely 'flexible' and handle sharpening/LR processing quite well, when necessary.
08-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #13

Thanks CDW.
08-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You can print 645D prints at 30x40". They're amazing...no grain...lots of dynamic range. I'm jealous :-)
I've had one of mine printed at 68" x 48" with absolutely no grain at all, so you can really supersize with the 645D
08-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hello everyone. I am a new member and have a newly acquired 645D. I am still waiting for FA 45-85 and a FA 120 macro to arrive. I have had to use a Zeiss 80 from my Hassy. Here is one of the first few photos I made. It was at ISO 400 because I could not figure out how to decrease it at that moment.

Tri
Attached Images