Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do I change the focusing screen of the 645D?

Hello,

does anyone know how to do this? Do I need a special tool for it? Is there a video tutorial somewhere?
Thanks.

dA

07-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a small spring chip holding the front of the screen frame near the bayonet mount. That allows the frame to swing down. After replacing the screen, just push the frame up until it clicks into place. No special tools, but Pentax does supply one designed for the operation and to handle the screen.
12-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just bought the Pentax DK-80 focusing screen for the 645D and it was pretty easy to install. Much easier than with my 5d Mark 2 before. The spring which holds the screen in position doesn't have such a strong resistance like the Canon counterpart. Therefore it can be unlocked and put back in position much easier and with less power. I like this a lot, because I always had some troubles putting back the Canon screens in position, as the spring is pretty strong there.
Only read the manual carefully before changing the screen and watch the position of the tool they give you with the screen. You have to turn it around (with the longer end in front) to unlock/lock and turn it again when taking out the screen. Otherwise it will be very difficult to release the spring.
I also bought a "Giotto Rocket Air Blower" for cleaning the screen, as it already had some dust on it even it was new.
Really good tool this airblower and works perfectly with any focusing screen.

The screen itself is very good and definitely useful for any landscape shooter or any kind of architectural photography.
I would recommend to buy one.