Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Pentax 645d and Capture ONE 6

I am wondering if anybody uses Capture for Pentax DNG files. If so, which ICC profile do you use? Until now I have used C. for my D700 files because the quality is a lot better than Lightroom 3, just my 2 cts.
Ernst

07-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although I haven't tested C1 against 645D DNG's, C1's rendering of Pentax DNG's can be spectacularly awful.

The reason seems to be that C1 support has said they do not support Pentax DNG's, and they would prefer Pentax shooters to use PEF. This is in the release notes for C1 and it has also been confirmed in direct responses from C1 support. DNG's are treated generically, with no particular optimizations for the camera in question, unlike PEF's. So I would suggest if you use C1, shoot PEF. Perhaps, as an Adobe format, Phase One see supporting DNG's as supporting a competitors product.

The issues in relation to C1 and Pentax DNG's have been discussed in a few places on these forums, including here in relation to C1 Express.
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
any idea when Pentax pefs will be supported by C1?
10-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by arcaswissi Quote
any idea when Pentax pefs will be supported by C1?
I called and emailed Phase One about this and they stated because the Pentax 645D is direct competition they do not support the camera which sucks because I have invested over $400 of my monies!

10-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #5

I'm curious - Pentax (Ricoh) will ever make their own software to work with the Pentax 645D?
How long to wait!
I'm just for that reason not bought my 645D, I am waiting.
We should have possibility for tethered shooting, I hope it's not a big problem! New firmware for Pentax 645D and Pentax Capture Pro (for example)

How to ask for them to hear our needs in this?
10-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand. I am sure Pentax gave software with my 645D--I never use it because I can open my files in Photoshop. I expect you can open them in Lightroom too. Folks have used EyeFi cards to "teather" the camera to a computer, which is a better solution than a cable.
10-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I'm with Yamanobori. Lightroom and photoshop, both work fine.
10-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #8

1. EyeFi card send JPEG only and work slow.
2. I am sure that PEF format may be more natural color, than DNG.
3. Well if correction CA (chromatic aberration) like in c1pro - It would be great!

10-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

1. EyeFi cards can work with RAW. The videos I have seen on the web has shown fairly good transfer rates. And since you basically tether to see a preview, there is nothing wrong with JPEGs. I don't process my Phase images while I am shooting. I just check the image for composition and focus.

2. As far as I have seen, there is no difference in color from a DNG and PEF out of the 645D

3. I do not do CA correction in C1 nor Pshop. I have not found a need to.
10-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Eduard, I think if you are looking for a studio camera, Hasselblad would give you a better choice. The Pentax is just a straight DSLR and was not really designed with the idea of tethering, although I think WiFi technology may start to change that. The 645D is really the logical extension of the Pentax medium-format line which the company has always billed as an outdoor/nature camera, although fashion photographers have certainly used the Pentax 67.

Then you have cost/benefit. The Pentax gives a lot for its price. For an extra $7,000, you can get a Hasselblad with a similar sensor. I have heard a rumor that Hasselblad will becoming out with a less expensive camera next year. But internet rumors have a chance to be wrong and the term "less" can not mean much.

I have worked with a Phase back in the studio. Tethering is nice, especially since the Phase monitor is not really great. But I think I would be happy to use my 645D in the studio without tethering as the monitor is really nice. I will be finding out in two weeks when I will be using it for a portrait session.

Every choice is a compromise. Only you can tell where the compromise is important.
10-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Eye-Fi cards have something like 14Mbit/sec transfer rates over wifi...they only use one 802.11n channel. I don't even shoot RAW w/ them w/ my K20D...just do smallest 6MP JPEG to check composition/lighting and they work fast enough for that...they do eat through batteries though.
It's a shame the C1 folks won't support it...seems short sighted of them, but if they regard it as competition, it means they only work w/ phase one backs which makes them as useful as Pentax only software...
10-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Eduard, I think if you are looking for a studio camera, Hasselblad would give you a better choice. The Pentax is just a straight DSLR and was not really designed with the idea of tethering, although I think WiFi technology may start to change that. The 645D is really the logical extension of the Pentax medium-format line which the company has always billed as an outdoor/nature camera, although fashion photographers have certainly used the Pentax 67.

Then you have cost/benefit. The Pentax gives a lot for its price. For an extra $7,000, you can get a Hasselblad with a similar sensor. I have heard a rumor that Hasselblad will becoming out with a less expensive camera next year. But internet rumors have a chance to be wrong and the term "less" can not mean much.

I have worked with a Phase back in the studio. Tethering is nice, especially since the Phase monitor is not really great. But I think I would be happy to use my 645D in the studio without tethering as the monitor is really nice. I will be finding out in two weeks when I will be using it for a portrait session.

Every choice is a compromise. Only you can tell where the compromise is important.

Thank you for your detailed answer!
Exchange of views is very helpful and I love this forum!
On the Hasselblad and Famiya cameras I thought too. There are pluses and minuses of each.
Pentax 645D I really liked. This is an easy-to-use camera from all that I held in my hands (from a digital medium format).

Best,
Eduard.