Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Mamiya 7II for Hassy???

Please, help me!
I woul like sell my Hassy 500 C/M with Distagon T* 50 F/4 and Planar 80 f/2,8 for a very nice Mamiya 7II with 80 f/4 and 43 f/4,5 (I look a amazing Tuco shots!)
Your sincere opinions?
Thank you very much,

roberto

07-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It does depend on your choice of subject matter but if you are really into landscape photography get the mamiya 7II, the 43mm f/4.5 is easily one of the sharpest 67 wide angle lenses ever made.Though the fact that the camera is a rangefinder does make the use of polarisers difficult.
07-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, landscapes!
07-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The M7ii has its pros and cons. It does some things really well. But it also has its quirks and disadvantages too. For example, that 43mm lens takes a separate view finder attached to flash hot shoe. You focus through one window and and compose through another. And the build in meter is more like spot meter with that wide of a lens. The meter is a fixed area in the rangefinder window and is really made for the 65mm and up lenses. Same goes for the 50mm. But I like to use one-degree spot meters so that is no big deal.

The Hasselblad, I feel, is a better all around camera with more lenses and accessories available for it. The hot-swapping backs I just can't live without. I'd say the M7ii makes a better second camera where you use it in the areas it excels at than your only camera if that is possible. But I like the M7ii for hiking and walking around. It is really good for that.

07-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hey Tuco, could you perhaps take a photo of the 7 besides the P67 and/or other cameras? I have some interest in buying a rangefinder, but I had the Fujica GM670 that was huuuuuge. Displayed without anything to compare to, it looked fully normal and quite small. But it wasn't.
07-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank's, Tuco.
A separate view finder isn't a problem for the quiet shot of landscape. I also like to use external spot meter. Maybe I dont sell a Hassy, but I like dont lose a purchase of the amazing lenses and body of M7II
07-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
Hey Tuco, could you perhaps take a photo of the 7 besides the P67 and/or other cameras? I have some interest in buying a rangefinder, but I had the Fujica GM670 that was huuuuuge. Displayed without anything to compare to, it looked fully normal and quite small. But it wasn't.
Okay, but you'll need to wait until I get back. But physically, sitting on a table back-to-back with a P67/P6x7 outfitted with a WLF, it is the same height (obviously less with a prism on the P67) and about 2.5cm shorter in width and thickness with no lens on either camera. And the M7ii body is just under 1000g.

It handholds really comfortably. It has a hand grip like a dSLR. The shutter button is pretty sensitive and is extremely quiet. It is not too tripod friendly when it comes to changing lenses. To change a lens, you need to close a film curtain first and that is located under the camera and depending on your tripod head may not be accessible without removing it first. The same goes for changing film while on a tripod. Spool buttons pop down to allow the film to be inserted and those can be obstructed by your tripod mount. But it seems to be easier to change film than a P67.

I hope that will hold you over until I can get some pictures taken.

Last edited by tuco; 07-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Thanks! That's a little bit larger than I wanted to hear.

Hmmmm, this is a tough one. The dream would be the new Voigtländer Bessa III 667W, with a 55/4.5 fixed lens. It's 1100 grams with everything and looks very compact for a 6x7 camera. The standard 667 with 75/3.5 is even lighter and smaller with the lens folded in, but I think I'd want a wide on this sort of camera. Too bad it costs $$$.

An other nice alternative would be the Bronica RF645. I've seen them for ~500 GBP with the 60/4, which is probably a decent price. A bit smaller than the 6x7 cameras but still almost the same weight though.
07-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

finding anything "compact" in 67 format is a bit of a joke.
07-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

You might as well go to 6x9 as the size of the Fuji RF are exactly the same for 6x7, 6x8 and 6x9.
Of course the GW690 and GSW690 at 1.4 Kg each is not very light weight. That said with a good strap one of these balances nicely on the shoulder.

Cheers,

Luc
08-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I just bought a Voigtländer Bessa III 667, and yes, it's actually "compact" compared to other 6x7 cameras. Very light and portable indeed.
08-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
I just bought a Voigtländer Bessa III 667, and yes, it's actually "compact" compared to other 6x7 cameras. Very light and portable indeed.

Nice - these are not cheap of course...

Enjoy.
08-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Nice - these are not cheap of course...

Enjoy.
Not cheap, but this wasn't more expensive than a P67 with a couple of lenses. Here she is.

I don't think you can get anything more compact than that for 6x7. And you get a viewfinder from hell! Totally brilliant. Up there with the best Leica M finders, in my opinion, which is NOT the case with Fujica/Fujifilm rangefinders.
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Equivalent of a 35mm on a 6x7 modern (read good bellow) compact RF. What else do you need for hiking - a light tripod, a lens hood, power bars and good company :-)

ps: this is actually a Fuji camera GF670 so I assume that you are referring to Fuji older RF (non-folder or folder)

Cheers,

Luc
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Equivalent of a 35mm on a 6x7 modern (read good bellow) compact RF. What else do you need for hiking - a light tripod, a lens hood, power bars and good company :-)
Exactly! Not that I "hike" a lot, but I walk ~10 kilometers per day in the hoods around here. Or do I ride my bike, and I love light cameras, as much as I love good IQ. And film!

QuoteQuote:
ps: this is actually a Fuji camera GF670 so I assume that you are referring to Fuji older RF (non-folder or folder)
Yes Luc, I know. I think the camera is some sort of collaboration between Cosina and Fuji, because the Bessa III and the GF670 is the same camera. I meant the older Fuji rangefinders with interchangable lenses. They too are great, but soooo large. And the viewfinders aren't as good, even if they of course are decent.

I think the Bessa III will be a great companion for my strolls in the suburbs. 80 mm on 6x7 is in fact what I consider the "perfect" angle of view.