Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

"PErr" on 67II (metering error)

Today my 67II stopped working properly. As I was fiddling with the helicoid extension ring, the camera suddenly refused to take a picture and the top display said "PErr".
I searched on google from my phone and found out that it could be something with the metering prism. I took it off and the camera started working again. But as soon as I put the prism back again, the camera died.

So, there's definitely something wrong with the metering device in the prism. I changed to new batteries but it didn't help either.
Actually it has happened once before, half a year ago, but it didn't last for more than a minute or so.

Does anyone know about this? It's a bit frustrating to know that the camera can die for no reason, even if I manage to get it working again. Worst case would be taping the contacts on the prism and use the camera without a meter.

07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Martin, Sorry to hear about this. I've never seen this on my 67II, but I did have a problem where the shutter speed in the viewfinder didn't match the control on the body. It would skip around, and I would have to change the settings on the camera several times before they would match the viewfinder. I took the AE finder off and cleaned the contacts on both the body and the finder with an eraser. That did the trick.

Scott
08-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This really sucks. It took the film out (ruining it), respooled it and loaded it again. Everything works mechanically, but as soon as I put the prism on and halfpress the shutter, I get the the bloody "PErr" message and then everything is locked. I've tried everything, cleaned the contacts, switched between the metering modes, dubbelexposure (which doesn't work and never did before), mirror lockup, timer, new batteries, no batteries.

I still don't know if it's the prism electronics or something in the camera. Unfortunately, I know of no other owner. Else I could try a different prism.

I think I'll just start disassembling the prism.
08-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Update: I tried to disassemble the prism, but got stuck. The cable cords for the light sensitive diod of the metering device made it impossible to take the prism fully apart. Anyway, during the process I suddenly realized what a masterpiece of engineering this camera is. My god, everything in the prism is built with such precision.

I also started disassembling the camera body from the matte screen and on to follow the cords to the main card. Same there. Everything is so delicate and beautifully built, but still obviously made to withstand use and abuse.

I'm not surprised that the failure is in the electronic departure. The mechanics seems more solid than any other camera that's been "under my screwdriver".

I'll contact Pentax for repair. In the meantime, I'll just tape the contacts and use the camera without metering.

08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Maybe consider a WLF and handheld meter until you get it fixed. I shoot that all the time with my 6x7 people shots and all.
08-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maybe consider a WLF and handheld meter until you get it fixed. I shoot that all the time with my 6x7 people shots and all.
I've tried, but I find it completely impossible to get accurate compositions since I mostly shoot handheld. Also, with the 55/4 the screen is way too dim to focus without a loupe.

Problem: I don't think anyone can fix this in Sweden.
08-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
I've tried, but I find it completely impossible to get accurate compositions since I mostly shoot handheld. Also, with the 55/4 the screen is way too dim to focus without a loupe.

Problem: I don't think anyone can fix this in Sweden.
I shoot it handheld with a WLF just fine except for portrait orientation of course. The built in loupe plus the 100% view, I find, exceeds what I get from the prism. I guess it takes some practice and something that you come to like or don't.
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I shoot it handheld with a WLF just fine except for portrait orientation of course. The built in loupe plus the 100% view, I find, exceeds what I get from the prism. I guess it takes some practice and something that you come to like or don't.
Ah, I've just looked straight at the screen without any hood, so I totally forgot that there might be a loupe with the WLF. Yes, the experience of a WLF (or just nothing at all if the light isn't too bad) is very special. With the 105 I find focusing a breeze, but not with the shorter and slower lenses. But my main gripe with it is the "brainflip" the reversed image causes. Just can't get used to it.

07-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #9

I just had the same issue. Read he manual and reset the prism. Detach and reinsert the prism 2-3 times to make the error go away.

Link to manual:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/67II.pdf

Just thought I would share... Love this camera.

Best,
Bretthttp://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/67II.pdf
07-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeronimoCreek Quote
I just had the same issue. Read he manual and reset the prism. Detach and reinsert the prism 2-3 times to make the error go away.

Link to manual:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/67II.pdf

Just thought I would share... Love this camera.

Best,
Bretthttp://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/67II.pdf
Welcome to the forum!

Yep great camera and the manual is always a good place to start your problem solving.

Phil.