Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax 645N or NII? Advice needed

I am considering going MF film alongside my 645D. Two good quality dealers in the UK are selling 645 film bodies, one a N and the other an NII The N comes with 120 film back and a FA 75 and the NII is body only although they are also selling a film back also. The N works out about $400 cheaper than the NII plus has a lens too. I'm inclined to that package. Is there anything on the NII that I should consider going for the NII?

Thanks for your help guys. I picked up an A 200 f/4 second hand at the weekend and had to stop myself putting my card down for a Fuji GF670 wide, which looked amazing. When I get a film body what film scanner would you guys reccommend? What's the best one that's good value?

09-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the main difference is that the NII has MLU and imprints "EXIF" data directly onto the film.

Here is a specs comparison of the 645N vs the 645NII:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110932-pentax...-compared.html

I'm not sure if that's worth $400 to you, although mirror lock up does come in handy, especially on medium format bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
645N with FA75 for $400 cheaper, why are you even thinking about the other one. The 645 or 645N does not need mirror lock-up that is one of its strong point.
If you are into spending a lot of money (well probably you are if you could afford a 645D) then a Nikon LS-8000 or LS-9000 but because it has been discontinued I have seen some crazy pricing like $3,500 for a used unit. As you do not know if you will be doing much film, you could start with a V600 or V700 with a Betterscanning holder which should be enough until you polish your technique for film and scanning and then you might simply jump for a used Imacon or even Hasselblad - sky is the limit...

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 09-05-2011 at 12:45 PM.
09-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

The N imprints EXIF data also, but only with the FA lenses. That's what my 645N does with the 75mm FA lens, but not with the A 35mm nor the A 150mm.

09-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #5

The NII has MLU and direct access to the 10 custom functions, but if you get the N with the FA75 and the 120, do not let it go !
09-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZEPsikopat Quote
The NII has MLU and direct access to the 10 custom functions, but if you get the N with the FA75 and the 120, do not let it go !
Thanks all, I have the 645n coming tomorrow got 5 rolls of kodak 400 Tri x black and White film from calumet. Just have to get my head around loading film again! Should be an adventure though. Am looking into the Epson 750 as a first scanner. Initially I'll get a lab to process the film but my garage has water supply so I can look into developing negatives at some point.

Last edited by itshimitis; 09-05-2011 at 10:51 AM.
09-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Thanks all, I have the 645n coming tomorrow got 5 rolls of kodak 400 Tri x black and White film from calumet. Just have to get my head around loading film again! Should be an adventure though. Am looking into the Epson 750 as a first scanner. Initially I'll get a lab to process the film but my garage has water supply so I can look into developing negatives at some point.
You could give a try to TriX shot at 1250 and developed in Diafine 3'+3'. Easy to hand held at 1250 speed and Diafine is easy to use as a developer.

Cheers,

Luc

09-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
You could give a try to TriX shot at 1250 and developed in Diafine 3'+3'. Easy to hand held at 1250 speed and Diafine is easy to use as a developer.

Cheers,

Luc
The camera arrived this morning. Figured how to load the film thanks to Neester's instructions on another forum. It's actually Kodak 400Tmax B&W film I have, and there is no start just some kodak writing and then I can see the film coming behind it. The camera has a nice weight to it and it is in nice condition. It was marked as slight signs of use, and I have to say that my 645D has far more signs of use than this! The FA 75 is nice and sharp too so a bonus there!
09-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear it ! Have good shoot !
09-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

N vs. NII

I don't have one but I think that with the NII they fixed a slight problems with the 645N. Because the N allows 16 shots per roll, if you put film in the camera and let it sit, it would create a slight curl in the film so that when you took the second shot after letting it sit, that shot after you wind it would not have perfect film flatness. For the NII there was a user changeable setting that would allow you to change the frames per roll from 16 to 15, which fixes this problem. If you realize that the second shot after letting the camera sit might have film flatness problems, this should be your f8 or f11 shot.
09-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's actually Kodak 400Tmax B&W film I have, and there is no start just some kodak writing and then I can see the film coming behind it.
There is an arrow on the backing paper that will show up as you wind the film while loading it that you align with something on that camera if that's what you mean.
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
There is an arrow on the backing paper that will show up as you wind the film while loading it that you align with something on that camera if that's what you mean.
Yes thanks Tuco, I think I managed that....I'll find out when I develop the first roll. I suspect it will take a bit of practise before I get used to things. Might go in to cardiff with it tomorrow if the rain ever stops. Mind you, grey weather is pretty good for B&W if there is enough contrast!
10-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #13

I am considering going MF film alongside my 645D. Two good quality dealers in the UK are selling 645 film bodies, one a N and the other an NII The N comes with 120 film back and a FA 75 and the NII is body only although they are also selling a film back also. The N works out about $400 cheaper than the NII plus has a lens too. I'm inclined to that package. Is there anything on the NII that I should consider going for the NII?

Thanks for your help guys. I picked up an A 200 f/4 second hand at the weekend and had to stop myself putting my card down for a Fuji GF670 wide, which looked amazing. When I get a film body what film scanner would you guys reccommend? What's the best one that's good value?
I have been using the 645 since inception in the 80s, when I could barely afford it.... At present I still have 645 manual, as well as 645N autofocus bodies. The extra money is not necessarily well spent on the 645 N ii, as it could be spent, say, on a 120 macro, which I have used (in studio and outdoors) for portraits. The detail cannot be beaten, and these lenses are really inexpensive. A 45mm will cost more, but will serve you well for landscapes. A heavy tripod is a must for landscapes, certain studio portraits and long night shots, but I have shot football games, weddings, and auto shows as well as fashion shoots without one. I would be glad to show you images that were shot on film (agfa 25, fuji 50/100 etc...) and lately had 300mb drum scans done. Images were enlarged (for a show ) to 30" by 40" with amazing detail....at virtually 10% the cost of a phase back/hasselblad/ or even 645D setup.....Still the best value out there. Go for it.
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Keep your eyes open for the 35mm lens. Fabulous! Approximate field of view of a 20mm on 35 film, and really minimal distortion.

I've used an Epson V700 scanner with the Better Scanning medium format carrier with anti-Newton's ring glass and gotten very good results, far better than the stock carriers. The initial set-up with the Better Scanning is tedious, but the difference is significant.

Do consider an extra film insert or two. The 220 inserts are typically cheaper than the 120 variety, and can be "converted" to 120 in a few minutes. See this link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/101062-...agazine-2.html

Re: Mirror lockup. Luminous Landscape reported on that using as I remember a 600mm Pentax 67 lens via the adaptor and found no evidence of mirror shake in the 645n as compared to the 645nii

As far as tripods, my Manfrotto 3001 has served well, although it's not very tall.

Don't forget that the 645n will handle the Pentax TTL flashes as they were intended to be used. With the AF400T and the external power pack you'd be loaded for bear. I think perhaps one of the current Sigma flashes will do TTL as well as PTTL.

You will enjoy the 645, especially the queries "What is that and how many megapixels?" Better work up a good answer!
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't the AF540 Pentax flash also do TTL, apart from P-TTL?