Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

645N Shutter Speed Dail Fell Off

I went to go load a roll of film in my 645N today and everything seemed fine I went to grab it to go out a few minutes later and found the shutter speed knob and another piece for the lock fell off. Is this easily repairable? I have never been rough with it and when loading the film, just minutes before, was done on my bed.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting,
just last week I was using my mom's 645N and the same thing happened.
As near as I can tell, this seems to be a weak point design wise.
I have been meaning to write Eric Hendrickson about cost/feasibility of fixing but haven't been able to get around to taking photos of it.
I'll let you know what I figure out.
09-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I don't have any of the 645 family cameras, but did it also have a spring for the that button?
09-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I assume there's a spring for the lock button that's still present. If I put the button back where it belongs, I can operate the shutter speed dial normally, just without the actual dial that shows the speeds. If anyone else knows of something, please let me know.

I was thinking of super gluing the dial back onto the camera, but I wasn't sure if there was some moving part I needed to be aware of ...

09-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How was the dial attached before? Is there an obvious point where something broke or was it a friction fit?

I would think that so long as you can line up the dial so that it is indicating the correct shutter speed then reattaching it wouldn't be an issue. Try dry fitting the parts back together and see how it feels.
09-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The dial with the numbers just spins if I "dry fit" it. I think I might try super-gluing it.
09-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

What does the underside of the knob look like... I find it interesting that the grip does not come off to reveal set screws?

09-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll try to get a picture tonight.
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
The dial with the numbers just spins if I "dry fit" it. I think I might try super-gluing it.
NEVER EVER use Super Glue on any camera or lens. NEVER!!!
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
NEVER EVER use Super Glue on any camera or lens. NEVER!!!
Well I just super glued it right before I came to the forum. Regardless, there is no other way to reattach the dial. There's no set screw. It looks like the outer knob snapped off as the 3 dots in the picture of the camera are where the outer knob is joined to the knob itself.

Everything is safe and turning as desgined. Even if something did get stuck, it's in the auto setting.
11-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Forum Member

Hot melt thermal glue was good for a couple of years repair on my 645N whose shutter speed dial first came apart during a TSA inspection. Worked great--tough stuff-- literally a twenty minute repair start-to-finish with no camera dis-assembly required.

Second time it happened the spring loaded little center button thingy flew away and was lost at the beach. Boo-hoo. Hey, but I never did care much for the 2-hands required approach for swapping between A and Manual shutter speeds, anyway. Turns out here's a locking spring tab that the missing plastic lock-button release piece engaged with it's most bottom-pointing projection. One screw removed and this spring piece harmlessly drops down and out of the way, on the shaft. The dial, once hot-melt glued back on again, still has firm detents, just no hard lock at A. Also, it will spin down the shutter speed scale and X and B, going beyond 360˚ to come all the way back around again-- instead of having to change direction to return to A. I find this preferable. Again, no major camera dis-assembly and a twenty five minute job, start to finish.