Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Should I get an extra 120 insert for 645?

When you change film, do you have to do it in a dark room? Which would mean me loading the second insert at home so I would have another roll of film ready on location. Or can you change film anywhere? I'm about to order the 645 from KEH soon!! Looking forward to the day it gets here!

09-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The direct answer to your first question is no, you do not need to change film in a dark room. When you shoot your last frame, the camera will wind the roll up on to the take up spool, you just need to open it carefully and keep the exposed roll tightly sealed with the exposed tape on the end of the roll. A second insert is a great help though because you can have your next roll ready to go and just pop it in. It's best not to change film in strong light, I have had a few problems with light leakage in those situations.

Good luck with your 645, I got one and some A lenses last summer and have had a lot of fun going old school with it.
09-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A second insert is a convenience, and maybe even necessary depending on how you like to shoot. I've changed film in the field, or cemetery , and it is entirely doable, though potentially challenging as you're juggling an additional bit with the insert.
09-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

I had a 2nd - and sold it

09-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
A second insert is a convenience, and maybe even necessary depending on how you like to shoot. I've changed film in the field, or cemetery , and it is entirely doable, though potentially challenging as you're juggling an additional bit with the insert.
Exactly...the use case for having an extra insert is if you have an assisant to be reloading the inserts for you while you continue to shoot.

Steve
09-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Or, say, you're doing a photo shoot and don't have a slave/assistant, you can at least shoot 30 frames before having to stop to reload.
09-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok I'll get an extra insert-that's a good idea.

09-07-2011, 12:45 AM   #8

Yea , it is a good (and not expensive) idea. The Ptx645 is the "most 135 like" medium format camera I know (and have ) . If you are shooting outdoors (e.g. landscape) a second 120 insert is a very usefull item, is definetelly more comfortable to change a preloaded 120 insert than to change the film outdoors. And it doesn´t cost much. (I have also a Hassy for 6x6 work- a Hassy mag costs 3-4 times more than a Ptx 120 insert)

Last edited by veraikon; 09-07-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo
09-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 220 insert can be easily converted to 120, as has been covered in this forum and elsewhere. When I can find the thread I'll post it; the "operation" takes a tiny cross-head screwdriver and five minutes, tops. Of course the insert will still say 220, but that's the price for saving money on the insert.
09-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #10

I can't say anything that hasn't been said and anyway the OP may have already got a second insert but in the field it is certainly much more convenient and in relation to what you have paid for the camera and even one lens, the price is very small - even smaller if you convert a 220 insert as grhazelton has pointed out.

There might even arise a situation where a quick change of insert gets you a shot which disappears by the time you change films.

asahijock
09-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #11

Just posted some like new 220 film holders along with a 645 NII and some other stuff in the for sale section if you are looking.
09-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
I have two 120 inserts and not interested in 220 film or inserts. It's good to have an extra roll of film loaded on the 2nd insert, but it takes up so much space. I need to get used to this MF way of life. I'm used to traveling light-DSLR and 2 zooms
10-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
The 220 insert can be easily converted to 120, as has been covered in this forum and elsewhere. When I can find the thread I'll post it; the "operation" takes a tiny cross-head screwdriver and five minutes, tops. Of course the insert will still say 220, but that's the price for saving money on the insert.
Okay, I found the thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/101062-...agazine-2.html

An extra insert preloaded in comfort at the kitchen table is MUCH nicer than juggling exposed film, trying to avoid dropping the empty spool and not flashing the film while reloading on a sandy spit of land in coastal South Carolina! Believe me!
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
An extra insert preloaded in comfort at the kitchen table is MUCH nicer than juggling exposed film, trying to avoid dropping the empty spool and not flashing the film while reloading on a sandy spit of land in coastal South Carolina! Believe me!
@gehazelton Or the wetlands? I'm going to be down at the wetlands center early next Sunday (weather permitting) doing some shots a young lady asked me to take for her. I'm bringing the K10, the 645 and maybe something in a 35mm depending on the mood (and how much I can carry)..

I have three 120 inserts and one 220 insert with the light boxes for all of them. Or is it two 120 inserts and two 220, I'll have to go look.

CW
10-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
@gehazelton Or the wetlands? I'm going to be down at the wetlands center early next Sunday (weather permitting) doing some shots a young lady asked me to take for her. I'm bringing the K10, the 645 and maybe something in a 35mm depending on the mood (and how much I can carry)..

CW
Ah yes, the wetlands! Our son and his wife lived in Bluffton SC where he taught for a couple of years. Just before they moved back to the Atlanta area we discovered Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge. A wonderful place! I shot up the place with my K10 and then returned the next morning at about 8 AM to catch good light and clouds with my 645n and BW film. That was before I bought extra inserts; the experience prompted me to get a couple. I hope the weather is good for you. I think wife Flora and I should take a long weekend to the area to shoot there, and also enjoy Savannah which is, along with Athens, my favorite of Georgia cities.