Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #1

My plans for my new rig

Ok. So, this is where I am and also what else I plan to buy. Any helpful comments or recommendations would be appreciated as it's been over 10 years since I've use a 67.
Pentax 67 II body
Pentax SMC 55 mm - latest
Pentax 165 Leaf Shutter
Various filters (B+W UV, B+W kaesmann cpls)
Bogen 3021 tripod with 3047 head

Plans to buy: AE prism finder for 67II
An extra 6x7 body with mlu and waist level finder
90mm Leaf Shutter lens for mlu exposures
300mm lens ?
1.4 extender
2x extender
Extension tubes for closeups
Various grad filters/color filters for black and white films
Starting with FP4plus and Ektar 100 films
b/w in one body and color in the other

Thank you all for Any assistance!
Mia

09-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #2

Original Poster
I forgot to mention I also bought a Pentax Flash Bracket. It's big and attaches to the camera on the side. I have a picture of it but don't know how to post the picture. I need to know what cable to buy to use the flash ( I think will be a 360 flash on sale now at Adorama).
Thanks, Mia
Attached Images

09-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FYI The AF360 will be a little underpowered for this set-up. I would recommend the AF540 or the Metz flash units - however unlike the AF540 the metz flash units probably aren't going to be able to communicate flash zoom settings with the 67II
09-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's no fun hauling two bodies around. Maybe consider a camera with swapping backs for color and BW if you plan on doing that alot. My 500C/M is like that and a treat to use for that purpose. Plus an added bonus, one filter size fits all the lenses I have for it. You could find yourself needing an 82, 77 and 67mm filters for 3 common lenses you might carry with you on the P6x7, for example.

Though not easy to find in the US and expensive the M* 300mm ED [IF] would be the 300mm to get. A friend had the other 300mm and could not get a sharp shot to save his life. Ultimately he had to get a rail system for a video camera and adapt it to the lens that provided the tripod mount and support for the front of the lens to resolve the problem.

Last edited by tuco; 09-12-2011 at 07:29 AM.
09-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

For me the most important question is: What do you need this equipment for? What do you want to shoot?

The films you want to use are not really high speed and the combination of the 300/4 with the converters will last in long focal lengths with poor speed - 300/4 x2 would mean 600/8...On Luminous landscape someone tested the 600/4 and found it difficult to use - his proposal was the use of TWO tripods - compared to digital you have to calculate a crop factor of THREE which means that the angle of vie and speed is equivalent to a 200/8 --- I think this is not very exciting and shake reduction is something to dream of ;-)

If you really desire big focal lengths pictures I would go for a Canon/Nicon full frame camera and the adequate focal lengths. The 6x7 for me is simply no long telephoto camera.

The advantage of LS lens I think is a bit overestimated. Usually in studio the difference between Ambient light and Flash exposure is quite bit and from my experience an difference of 3 values is enough to prevent ghost pictures caused by the low shutter speed. I have the 90/2.8LS and the 105/2,4 and if I would have to chose I would take the 105.

Further I always struggle to use B&W and color at the same time - I simply can not adjust my view to both technics simultaneously.

To get better advice you should explaine what you want to shoot.
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello all and thank you for your inputs so far. Yes, I just sold my Canon 5D Mark II to fund this rig. I plan to shoot landscapes, architecture, the Canyons and some plants. I guess I didn't realize the 300 was going to be so very big but I don't plan to use it that much really. While already owning the 55 and 165, those will be my most used lenses anyway. The 300 ED [IF] seems a little over the top pricewise.
I will do a few environmental portraits as well so I guess the 540 it is.
A great part of going back to film is to reacquire discipline, which I have lost by shooting only digital and correcting everything in Photoshop. I always thought film gave a different look anyway.
Mia
09-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amusingmia Quote
The 300 ED [IF] seems a little over the top pricewise.
Yes, it's expensive. But is more expensive than some pro lenses for that 5DMII?

Do some checking on the 300mm lens. It is a lot of weight cantilevered off the camera and shutter harmonics with speeds below 1/125 can be a problem. The newer M* 300mm addressed some of those issues by adding a tripod mount. And even with that, you really need to support the camera too.

I've tested my M* 300mm with the lens tripod mount shooting a test target at various shutter speeds. 1/60 and below I could see the results not as good as faster shutters. And things improved even more after adding something as simple as a mono pod to the camera body for support.

09-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hello Tuco. Yes, Canon glass get very expensive also. Fortunately, I already own the lenses I need for that system.
The reviews are very good on th 300mm ED IF but the only one I found for sale was $2000 in Japan. I keep a watch out.
Thanks for the heads up.
Mia
09-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ok. So, this is where I am (UPDATED) and also what else I plan to buy. Any helpful comments or recommendations would be appreciated as it's been over 10 years since I've use a 67.
Pentax 67 II body + AE prism finder for 67II
Pentax SMC 55 mm - latest
Smc 75mm 4.5 (can't find the 2.8) latest
Pentax 165 Leaf Shutter latest (probably not much use)
Pentax SMC 200mm latest
Various filters (B+W UV, B+W kaesmann cpls)
Bogen 3021 tripod with 3047 head
Pentax 1.4 rear converter

Plans to buy:
An extra 6x7 body with mlu and waist level finder
Extension tubes for closeups
Various grad filters/color filters for black and white films
Starting with FP4plus and Ektar 100 films
b/w in one body and color in the other

Thank you all for Any assistance!
Mia
So, my question is: Are the Hoya filters as good as B+W or Heliopan?
Specifically this filter for the 75mm lens:
Hoya HMC Multi-Coated UV (c)Slim Frame Filter

Last edited by amusingmia; 09-17-2011 at 12:14 PM.
09-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

For a focal length as short as the 75mm, any of the three will do well. I have used all three brands over the years and prefer Heliopan slightly over B+W and B+W slightly over Hoya. If you were to use longer focal length lenses (200 + 1.4x) I would suggest using the B+W or Heliopan. Filter flatness (or lack of) really starts to become apparent with the higher magnifications.

Also, the 400mm Takumar is affordable and quite sharp.
09-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you desertscape!