Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Went shooting today.

I had my first med format experience. Went to Hermann Park about 5pm. Did not want to take camera out because it was raining lightly. Hung around for an hour-still raining. Fortunately it stopped raining about 6:30. I ended up staying until dark to get some dusk pics of the floodlit fountains-2 and 4 sec exposures should give the water some nice blur. I discovered something about the 645 and cable release. I tried to push the release lightly to get the meter to come on-and BOOM-a wasted exposure. Tried it again not putting as much pressure on release-another wasted shot. Ended up wasting 4 pics-only 15 for the whole roll! The only way I could get the meter to come on with cable release is lightly push shutter button-not release. Gotta get used to that. It was quite an experience-love the second tripod socket for vertical pictures. No need to turn the tripod head on its side. That's hard to do with a ball head. And the 75mm lens gave a nice semi wide angle of view. To get that view with my DSLR, you'd need about 28mm, and the short focal length would stretch the heck out of everything.

09-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I don't have a 645 yet, but it sounds like a contact leaf is set too close. I had to correct that on my old MX winder that had a contact that was so sensitive that I could only touch the camera button and not the winder. After correcting the leaf, it could be pressed softly to give a reading.
09-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Pentax 645 works the same way with a cable release. I can tap the side of the shutter button with the cable mounted to turn the meter on but if I use the cable release button then the camera fires before the meter comes on. On the plus side, after the first wasted frame I composed a photo in AV mode before trying to get the meter to come on with the remote cable.
09-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I don't have a 645 yet, but it sounds like a contact leaf is set too close. I had to correct that on my old MX winder that had a contact that was so sensitive that I could only touch the camera button and not the winder. After correcting the leaf, it could be pressed softly to give a reading.
Is it easy to correct DIY or would I have to let a shop do it? Even if I don't get it fixed, now I know how to operate meter with cable release. I wish it was really stiff. With digital it doesn't matter, but accidently firing shots with film is not good