Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

645D: Using Pentax flashes, off camera on stand, with PW?

I'm in the first month of using the 645D. Curious to know the best setup for using a Pentax flash, similar to the 540FGZ, on a stand, either with a Pocket Wizard, or some other wireless setup? Or, if not, if it's possible to run a manual sync cord to that flash. And how people are actually mounting that 540 flash onto a C-Stand, for use with some kind of softbox or other modifier.

Any real-world suggestions very much appreciated. Thank you.

Mark Tucker
Mark Tucker

09-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

you would be better off using Radio poppers or the cheaper Flashwave transmitters - currently wocketwizards do not support P-TTL - so you would be paying for a heap of functionality you wouldn't even be able to use which would be rather wasteful.

I personally hate using cords for flash work, even the slender PC-Synch ones tick me off. An AF540FGZ can also be triggered optically - usually by a flash in the camera hotshoe - but in daylight the range of optical flash triggering is rather limited. I use a Elinchrom skyport system with my studio strobes, which is very small and compact which is a rather critical consideration when I'm working because I like to keep my left eye open so I can see what is going on around the model - which would be difficult to do if I had a big pocket-wizard Multimax transmitter attached to my camera.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-19-2011 at 07:48 AM.
09-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the response. I already own six or eight of the pocket wizards, for use with ProFoto packs. Will the PW talk directly to the 540? I guess you'd have to wire up a receiver PW on the 540, right? With a short cord? I'd just want to set the 540 on Manual, and shoot it thru an umbrella or softbox, very close to the camera. But have the 540 mounted in some kind of bracket/holder that would slide down onto a 3/8" Matthews CStand.
09-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marktucker Quote
. Will the PW talk directly to the 540?
In short - no, you will have to set power settings on the AF540FGZ manually, but you probably want to do that anyway. Pocketwizards aren't fluent in P-TTL, At present they only communicate with the Pseudo-TTL flash systems from Nikon and Canon.

QuoteOriginally posted by marktucker Quote
I guess you'd have to wire up a receiver PW on the 540, right?
That would be one way it could be done, I use a similar work around with my Elinchrom skyport receivers which use a have 3.5mm audio jack connectors, I have custom hot shoes that use the same 3.5mm jack I use with my AF540/AF360 flash units - I prefer the 3.5mm jack system opposed to the somewhat antiquated, and failure prone Pc-synch connector. That way the cables are much cheaper,easier to find - and are typically superior in quality.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-19-2011 at 08:04 AM.
09-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #5

It does depend on your setup - for certain pictures, where the flash is not o abroad from the main direction and ambient light is not to high Wireless TTL might be an option - on the Crop-cams the internal flash can do ist or can be replaced for example by a 360 - I personally prefer using a Sigma Ring Flash as a controller and if needed using it for little bit of base light to fill all shadows shadow-free.

Another option might be a multcontact cord - but usually the are less than 2 Meters long
09-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
Not related question, but for 645D: Is there a Menu Item to specify which SD slot you want to shoot to? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, so much that, I make sure and only have a card in Slot 1. I now leave slot 2 empty.
09-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Mate , could'nt be easier .

Press and hold SD1 or SD2 , and then use the zoom toggle button to scroll options that will appear on top LCD
09-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
Mr Whale,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's about, "Can you specify, in the menu, which slot it writes to?" Sometimes, the camera seems to be writing to 2; sometimes it writes to 1. With my D3x, it seems to default to Slot 1, and then you can either "duplicate 1, to 2", or use 2 as an overrun slot, to double the capacity.

I also wonder if there's a shortcut/easier/faster way to format cards, rather than that buried command in the Menus. Can you push a combo of buttons to reformat a card?

Thank you.

09-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #9

It works in a very similar , nearly identical , way , just much simpler .

Press SD1 and scroll through options ( raw , jpeg , reserve ...............)
Press SD2 and scroll through options ( raw , jpeg , reserve...................)

This lets you write to one or both cards in a variety of formats .

Its in the Menu system as well but as you've found with formatting involves more steps .

Have'nt found a shortcut around formatting but would like to be able to format both cards at once .