Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi! I'm a first time MF user and have always wanted a Pentax 6x7/67. I have an opportunity to buy a 67 in very good condition with TTL prism and 105mm lens.....the only downside it is not a MLU model. I am very new to MF so I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker at this stage or not. If I get a rock solid tripod, will this be enough to compensate for the mirror shake?

Thanks!!
Christie

09-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
CDW
Veteran Member

If you're prepared for the size/bulk of the P67, it can deliver great images but having owned one with MLU, I would recommend that version only. OTOH, I would recommend a 645 or 645n over a P67 without MLU. Mirror vibration on the 645 is a non-issue. If you buy it with the 105mm, you'll likely want to find a 55mm, as well. The 55mm is very sharp/contrasty.
09-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The 67 generation of the camera has MLU. The early 6x7 generation did not. I guess it all depends on how good of a deal you're getting. Personally, I'd want MLU. I use it frequently on that camera.

In addition to a sturdy tripod, placing your hand on top of the camera and pushing down a little helps. Long exposures and fast shutter speeds are not as problematic as the 1/4 - 1/60th range on this camera with longer focal lengths.
09-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks so much CDW & Tuco! I think I'm going to try it and see what happens. I will be doing mostly long exposures and 1/60th or faster. I do have 2 options if it doesn't work for me. I can 1.) return it within 30 days if I don't like the results or 2.) keep the prism, lens, buy a MLU body and sell the non-MLU body.

Any suggestions for a tripod? I know the manfrotto I've got isn't going to cut it.

09-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

One of my 6x7s is a Honeywell without MLU. It does very well hand held, which is what I do with it mostly. However, it does well on a tripod for long exposures. Surprisingly, it does almost as well as the MLU version on a tripod at 1/4 -- 1/15 second.

For a tripod, it depends on the lenses you intend to use. For wide and normal lenses, a 5 lb. pod is minimum. For 120mm to 200mm, a 7 lb pod works. For the longer lenses, 10- 20 lb pod depending on which lens is used. Be aware that a huge tripod will not prevent soft images when using the long telephotos at the problem shutter speeds.
09-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
I won't be using anything over 120mm, so I think I might be able to pull this off. Now it's off to the camera shops to have a look at tripods. Thank you so much!!