Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter

M*400 Posted in Marketplace

I know it's outside protocol to post sale items outside the marketplace, perhaps this lens is interesting just to gawk at? Wasn't easy to bring myself to post it and realistically, the only people who give a rip about this lens are those who follow this section of the forum.
Happy to discuss this lens with other current owners...

09-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh it is interesting to gawk at and also interesting to look at amortization tables to see about purchasing something like this... What a relatively inexpensive foray into telephoto for a 645D owner too. Have you used it with the 1.4x converter?
09-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ron, can you comment on the RRS Long Lens Support device? I've been thinking of getting one for some of my longer glass (Nikon 200-400mm, Pentax 645 A 300mm f/4), but am not sure of its effectiveness.
09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best of luck with the sale Ron.

To all the tire kickers: I've bought from Ron before. He's excellent to deal with. I'm off to Jasper National Park for a few days in the next week using the gear he sold me. Thanks Ron!

And the RRS long lens support is a boon for the stability and vibration reduction.

09-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Oh it is interesting to gawk at and also interesting to look at amortization tables to see about purchasing something like this... What a relatively inexpensive foray into telephoto for a 645D owner too. Have you used it with the 1.4x converter?
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Ron, can you comment on the RRS Long Lens Support device? I've been thinking of getting one for some of my longer glass (Nikon 200-400mm, Pentax 645 A 300mm f/4), but am not sure of its effectiveness.
Yurihuta:

Knowing your passion for Pentax optic this is one not to pass up. This was the only P67 lens that I kept for it is better than any 400 in the Pentax lineup that I can obtain for reasonable cost. I have used it on all my Pentax cameras from P67, 645N/D, LX istD* to K5. Unless there is a DA* 400 in the works for 645 this lens is as good as it gets for Pentax. One pops up for sale publicly on the internet about every two years.

If you are buying take the accessory kit as well. That rotating polarizer is even harder to find than the lens. You don't even want to price a front polarizer for this. The Tenba lens case is best for carrying long lenses around.

RRS long lens support is the best one that I have used. Due to tripod mounting hole only optimized for balance with the original camera body the lens was designed for you will not get perfect balanced centre of gravity with the original tripod lens mount.
The RRS give you a movable tripod mount as well as additional support for the front of the lens (some of these tele hoods are not light) and it also has optional camera tripod mount that you can add to the same unit making the camera lens fully supported in one unit. When this is used on a gimbal lens mount/head on your tripod and balanced properly the lens should swing and tilt to follow your target with very little force.
09-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tranq is off to paradise! Should be fun! Thanks for the kind words.

Yuri you will not go wrong with the ouch expensive long lens support from Really Right Stuff. Mind you, the M*400 and most other big lenses will work perfectly without the support when shooting from your back deck at the neighbor's mailbox. But in windy conditions on a side hill with bighorn sheep deliberately meandering out of range, the support is a dream! I have done crystal sharp work through this lens without using support, particularly for landscape images, but I've found the extra support (or a Bogen camera body to tripod support) is very helpful in marginal conditions that are so common in the field.

The results from the M*400/4 with the 1.4x teleconverter exceeds expectations in all ways. I'm a teleconverter hater and prefer buying a different lens that using a converter. The ONLY exception I've ever encountered is the combo of this lens and the teleconverter. I've used them for landscape shots that print as beautiful chromes. The Luminous Light website had similar results so I guess this is one of those teleconverter/lens combos that really works well!
09-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #7

I agree with Ron's assessment of the M* 400 & 1.4x teleconverter. You lose very little IQ with this combo.

DW,
Please post some shots taken with this lens and the 645D. I've been itching to see how the M* 67 lenses perform on it.