Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
645D Sensor Cleaning--What do you use?

What are folks using to clean the 645D sensor?

09-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have a 645D but I'd imagine any sensor cleaner for a DSLR sensor would do. It may be bigger but it ain't made of kryptonite either.
09-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Kinda scary, if you know what I mean . .
09-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #4

I purchased this for the D3X but should be able to use it on my newly ordered 645D

Sensor cleaning system for digital camera.

10-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrclark321 Quote
I purchased this for the D3X but should be able to use it on my newly ordered 645D Sensor cleaning system for digital camera.
+1 Visibledust make excellent wet and dry cleaning products - I have used them for years and I recommended them to my colleagues and students. The Arctic butterfly is particularly useful for getting rid of dust bunnies in the field.
10-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

h cleaning

Photographic Solutions supply a 'Digital Imaging Sensor Cleaner' kit with a guarantee that it will not harm your camera, provided you follow instructions to the letter. I'm not sure if others do as well, though have not seen any.
Very enticing guarantee when poking into expensive holes!

www.photosol.com
03-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The Giottos blower isn't recommended for CCD sensors. My sensor has LOTS of dust on it anything anyone can recommend that would be available in UK?
03-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With my 5D mk II it seems like I was never quite able to get all of the dust off the sensor, even using the expensive swabs + wet solution. Last time I cleaned my friend's 5D mk II, I used 7 swabs per exact instructions and only was able to remove about half of the dust!

On the 645D, it's a much scarier proposition to mess around inside...does anyone know of a place where you can just send it in for cleaning during a slow time? maybe Pentax? If so, the costs?

03-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by akaphot Quote
Photographic Solutions supply a 'Digital Imaging Sensor Cleaner' kit with a guarantee that it will not harm your camera, provided you follow instructions to the letter. I'm not sure if others do as well, though have not seen any.
Very enticing guarantee when poking into expensive holes!

Cleaning Digital Sensors, Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions - Photographic Solutions
+1 to this. I use it on my 645D whenever it is needed.
03-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
In the UK Calumet do sensor cleaning for about 40, so they probably do it in US also?
Another alternative is to see if the Pentax Pro dealer does cleaning.
There's also a Youtube demo of cleaing a Phase One sensor
but that's a bit easier as it's a removable back.
03-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #11

Hi Itshimitis. I live in Australia, but buy photographic supplies where ever in the world are the best products. Photographic Solutions, (who missed out on .com) are "www.photosol.com", USA. Cleaning your sensor, once you have the technique down, is not difficult. There are simply steps you need to follow. You also need a Loupe to view your sensor, one that is powerful enough and no distortion. Work in a dust free environment, with a strong light. Charge your camera battery first, then turn the camera upside down(lens down) remove lens, and blow inside gently with a dedicated camera blower, like a Giottos rocket air blower (filtered air) Then use an Arctic Butterfly brush to first clean the mirror. Turn upside down and blow again. Now find 'sensor cleaning' or 'mirror lock up' in your cameras menu, press the shutter to lock up mirror, then (I'm assuming your using Photographic solutions products. If not, follow the products instructions) do one swipe down one side of your sensor, turn the swab over and one swipe down other side, then discard that swab and repeat with a new swab. Now check with the loupe. You may need to repeat any of above steps, blowing and swabbing. To test, take photo of sky or blank wall or gray computer screen, with lowest iso, smallest aperture, shutter speed on '0', 24-50mm lens. Then zoom in and check.
Sensors attract dust, being statically charged, so you really need to know how to clean your sensor at the drop of a hat (or a dust bunny!) One bill for cleaning can pay a lifetimes supplies.
Always change your lens with care. Establish a clean routine.
Good luck!
ps youtube is great for surfing 'how to clean sensor' etc.
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #12

There is an offical sensor cleaning kit, check "O-ICK1" in google.
03-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Panshell Quote
There is an offical sensor cleaning kit, check "O-ICK1" in google.
Leica use this to clean their M9 and S2 cameras before they leave the production line:

Last time I was in Solms I personally observed this when they CLA'd my M8 a few years ago.