Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Polaroid Back for 645

I just bought the 645 online and i went ahead and purchased the NPC Polaroid back to go with it...I'm totally new to MF and film photography in general...I thought Polaroids were just for kicks back in the '80s!

Anyways...Where is the best place to order instant film for this...and what kind of film does it take? (are there different kinds of Polaroid film for MF backs?)
Also...I know you cant change film backs in the middle of the roll with the 645 but can you take a few Polaroids and take that back off? Or do you ruin all the insta film by doing that? It would seem like I made a horrible purchase if I have to snap off 15 shots of Polaroid just to be able to load my film. (guess I should have figured this out before I shelled out $65 for the Polaroid back)

As I have not even received the camera or the back in the mail I'm sure I will have more questions when it arrives...Ill try to go through the forjums to find as many answers as I can so I'm not repeating questions already asked..

Thanks

09-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations, you've just bought yourself a fine paperweight for 65 bucks. Any Polaroid film you find now for the Polaroid film back will be time expired film packs, that is if you can even find any for your back. Go to eBay and search for "Polaroid SX-70" (for example), you will find people selling film packs that expired in 1977! Well, maybe you will have better luck finding film for your back.
09-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #3

Have a look at Impossible Enschede, NL

The Impossible Project

It is located in the former Polaroid Factory in Europe. They tried to reinvent the old chemistry.

-Linus-

Last edited by -Linus-; 09-27-2011 at 04:43 AM.
09-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
I thought Fuji made instant film as well? ...Seems BH has one for a sale for $279....glad I didn't pay that much if it is useless!

Used NPC Polaroid Film Back for Pentax 645 Series Cameras MF24

09-27-2011, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi JayH,

My paperweights use the Fuji films. And yes the impossible project makes some emulsions that will fit as well. So in addition to being effective paperweights, they also accept a number of peel apart films and work quite well.

I also have a cool Pentax FA 33-55mm that makes an interesting paperweight, especially with the lens hood and attached to a 'film is dead' 645N body. Does not get as much attention as the monstrous Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR paperweight, but I rarely have need for such a large paperweight, but when I need to hold down some 16x20 sheets of paper in a mild tropical storm, I am all set.

Yuri
09-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Hi JayH,

My paperweights use the Fuji films. And yes the impossible project makes some emulsions that will fit as well. So in addition to being effective paperweights, they also accept a number of peel apart films and work quite well.

I also have a cool Pentax FA 33-55mm that makes an interesting paperweight, especially with the lens hood and attached to a 'film is dead' 645N body. Does not get as much attention as the monstrous Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR paperweight, but I rarely have need for such a large paperweight, but when I need to hold down some 16x20 sheets of paper in a mild tropical storm, I am all set.

Yuri
Well, I'll be darned. I stand corrected, there are emulsions available for these paperweights after all. I do however stand by my assertion these 645 Polaroid backs are about as useful as a paperweight. Here is the description from B&H for the Polaroid back:

QuoteQuote:
Fits Pentax 645. Accepts Polaroid 3-1/4 x 4-1/4" pack film. Provides images that measure approximately 56 x 44mm. They are used to check lighting, exposure, fine tune composition, rearrange sets and props, and to evaluate color. They have convenient holders for their stainless steel dark slides. Fast and easy to attach and remove from your camera.
A DSLR is infinitely more versatile for checking lighting, exposure, fine tune composition and so on. Getting a 1-3/4 x 2-1/4 in image on a 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 sheet of film is not the most efficient use of the available space, given how expensive each shot costs for a Polaroid image. Previewing the image on your DSLR cost you nothing - except take up more space and weight in your kit bag.

The only real advantage in shooting with a Polaroid would be image manipulation on SX-70 compatible emulsion, before the emulsion hardens. For this you will need an SX-70 camera or equivalent - the P645 back is useless for this because of the small image size on a much larger canvas. I have thought about buying some emulsions from the Impossible Project for my SX-70 camera for image manipulation, but cost aside, the colours just aren't as dynamic as the original Polaroid Land films, judging from the images I've seen of the results from the Impossible Project film packs. I've been trying to find (not too hard) if Fuji still make film packs for the SX-70 camera, if anyone knows, please reply to this thread with the film pack model name/number.

It pretty sad that you would consider your lenses as paperweights, but each to his own,eh?

Thanks,
09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Well, I'll be darned. I stand corrected, there are emulsions available for these paperweights after all. I do however stand by my assertion these 645 Polaroid backs are about as useful as a paperweight. Here is the description from B&H for the Polaroid back:

A DSLR is infinitely more versatile for checking lighting, exposure, fine tune composition and so on. Getting a 1-3/4 x 2-1/4 in image on a 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 sheet of film is not the most efficient use of the available space, given how expensive each shot costs for a Polaroid image. Previewing the image on your DSLR cost you nothing - except take up more space and weight in your kit bag.

The only real advantage in shooting with a Polaroid would be image manipulation on SX-70 compatible emulsion, before the emulsion hardens. For this you will need an SX-70 camera or equivalent - the P645 back is useless for this because of the small image size on a much larger canvas. I have thought about buying some emulsions from the Impossible Project for my SX-70 camera for image manipulation, but cost aside, the colours just aren't as dynamic as the original Polaroid Land films, judging from the images I've seen of the results from the Impossible Project film packs. I've been trying to find (not too hard) if Fuji still make film packs for the SX-70 camera, if anyone knows, please reply to this thread with the film pack model name/number.

It pretty sad that you would consider your lenses as paperweights, but each to his own,eh?

Thanks,
I rather suspect it was irony

09-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A DSLR is infinitely more versatile for checking lighting, exposure, fine tune composition and so on.
I think that too. I have a paperweight for my 4x5 and found I really used it more for verifying the lighting from multiple strobes than for exposure back in the film-only days. Today, a digital makes a great preview to check the strobes and a better verification of exposure to use on the film camera and you don't have to worry about the speed of the instant film slowing down over time or the manufacture discontinuing it on you.

Last edited by tuco; 09-27-2011 at 07:59 PM.
09-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just a friendly poke is all

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I rather suspect it was irony
09-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The image is tiny. I use the film more in my Fuji GX680 (with mask removed for an even larger image). I find these are great fun to hand out. I don't use it for the more traditional exposure/lighting check, just as an amusing (slightly expensive) novelty.

As for Fuji making integral film for the SX-70, not sure, but I have had good luck sourcing products from Japan here japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)

I think I am going to break down and get some of the Impossible Projects emulsions for my SX-70, just to try. Agreed that the colours are not quite what Polaroid used to make, but could be fun with some of the more esoteric flavours they are offering.

Yeah, too many lenses, too much loose paper. Thanks for picking up on the playful nature of the post.

Thanks,
09-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a hoser from the Great White North too.

eh?
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
The image is tiny. I use the film more in my Fuji GX680 (with mask removed for an even larger image). I find these are great fun to hand out. I don't use it for the more traditional exposure/lighting check, just as an amusing (slightly expensive) novelty.
Wow, now that's a real nice paperweight!! I keep browsing eBay hoping to pick up a Calumet 6x9 roll film back for my mothball encrusted paperweight; Linhof Super Technika III. It's probably a blessing that I haven't found one yet - in all likelihood, I'll end up shooting a few rolls through it then the film back would end up as a paperweight er, make that a door stopper.

QuoteQuote:
I think I am going to break down and get some of the Impossible Projects emulsions for my SX-70, just to try. Agreed that the colours are not quite what Polaroid used to make, but could be fun with some of the more esoteric flavours they are offering.

Yeah, too many lenses, too much loose paper. Thanks for picking up on the playful nature of the post.
Yeah, me too. Whenever I see a thread like this, my fingers get itchy to press BIN button on eBay for an Impossible Project, SX-70 film pack. Got to keep a lid on my impulses, if I want to continue to indulge in accumulating LBA kind of paperweights.

Thanks,
09-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scratch that itch! well at least with the 6x9 back. Scrape those mothballs off the Linhoff. Now that is an impressive field camera! Probably more portable than the Fuji GX680 too. Now you've given me ideas that one should not have on a rainy day, fast internet connection and with the credit card balance hovering near zero...

I've scratched my itch with the Fuji GX680 with reckless abandon. Something about buying this exquisite equipment with what seems like Monopoly money. I've put together a really decent kit with lots of spare parts for a pittance of what a single body used to sell for back in the day. Now I've just got to master scanning and my figital system will be able to serve me handsomely. Besides my daughter and her cousins get a kick out of peering through the odd looking box, not being able to find the LCD screen and then marveling at this fine little prints.

Wow, now that's a real nice paperweight!! I keep browsing eBay hoping to pick up a Calumet 6x9 roll film back for my mothball encrusted paperweight; Linhof Super Technika III. It's probably a blessing that I haven't found one yet - in all likelihood, I'll end up shooting a few rolls through it then the film back would end up as a paperweight er, make that a door stopper.

Yeah, me too. Whenever I see a thread like this, my fingers get itchy to press BIN button on eBay for an Impossible Project, SX-70 film pack. Got to keep a lid on my impulses, if I want to continue to indulge in accumulating LBA kind of paperweights.

Thanks,
09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
D W
Veteran Member

I have successfully uses the NPC pola back for P645 checking exposure/comp and having something the client can sign off on for over 14 yrs.