Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #16

Original Poster
Woermi, great pictures. That's what I had in mind. Beautiful.
Thanks to all for your replies. I think I might be going for a B&W infrared filter 92 or 93 and will test a couple of different infrared films. I am sure it'll be nerve whracking and expensive. :-)

Btw, do you develop infrared yourself? How tricky is it?

10-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Btw, do you develop infrared yourself? How tricky is it?
Yes. Not tricky at all. No different than developing any other BW film. That efke 820 curls significantly after drying which can make scanning more difficult.
10-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The efke 820 has a really nasty curl. How is the Rollei IR in that regard? I have a few rolls but haven't shot it yet.
It is on synthetic basis, so it is flat like freshly ironed...
10-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #19

Original Poster
I am havin' real trouble picking out a good infrared filter among all these various manufacturers. 82mm filtersize is hard-to-get anyway but availability is not the only prob, as it seems. Hoya, for instance, names his filters different than Heliopan or B&W. B&W just uses the names 92 & 93. I can get a Heliopan RG715 ES at 82mm. Or a RG 645. But since I am a B&W-fan, I'd rather go for the 92 or 93 but have no idea what the difference is to the Heliopan ones and: right now, they do not seem to be availabe at 82mm. I have heard good things about the Hoya R72, too, which is supposed to probably be the best IR filter for general use.
To keep it with Bob Seger: what to leave in, what to leave out?

10-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I am havin' real trouble picking out a good infrared filter among all these various manufacturers. 82mm filtersize is hard-to-get anyway but availability is not the only prob, as it seems. Hoya, for instance, names his filters different than Heliopan or B&W. B&W just uses the names 92 & 93. I can get a Heliopan RG715 ES at 82mm. Or a RG 645. But since I am a B&W-fan, I'd rather go for the 92 or 93 but have no idea what the difference is to the Heliopan ones and: right now, they do not seem to be availabe at 82mm. I have heard good things about the Hoya R72, too, which is supposed to probably be the best IR filter for general use.
To keep it with Bob Seger: what to leave in, what to leave out?
You might want to match the wavelength cutting of the filter with the properties of the film (or hot mirror infront of your sensor). Most modern digital cameras will cut IR so bad that it's pretty useless with the denser filters around.
I used a Hoya R72 on my Nikon D200 and it didn't work well at all. But it was fine on the previous D50, which had a very weak UV/IR filter.

I'll also give you all a tip: Don't stop the lens down too much! IR will run into diffraction much earlier than visible light, so if DOF is not a concern, try f/4 or so. Some lenses will give a "hot spot" at certain f-stops, but not necessarily worse at larger aperture. Fast lenses are usually more prone to this sort of flare, since they have larger lens elements and areas that can reflect IR.
10-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #21

Original Poster
I only wanna do this with my 67II, Makten. I think, the 645D is not ready for it yet. :-)
Before I use infrared for (possible) important shootings, I will test it as good as as I can in order to be prepared. I will test Ilford SFX200 and the Efke 820 Aura. I don't wanna make a mistake with the filter, though. They are quite expensive and I'd like to get the best and avoid buying filters for tests.

Thanks for that tip, Makten. Will sharpness be a concern with the lens wide open? Like things in the foreground (gras, stones or else)?
10-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I only wanna do this with my 67II, Makten.
What lenses are using on the 67II? If you restrict your IR shooting to the 67/77mm lenses, you may find the task of getting the IR filter easier.
10-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #23

Original Poster
Mm, that's a tough call, tuco. I'd like to use my 45mm lens (latest) which has a diameter of 82mm. That's the only lens I have with 82mm filtersize – and the reason why I always buy 82mm filters. For all other lenses I use step down rings (82>77, 82>67). :-)

10-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Mm, that's a tough call, tuco. I'd like to use my 45mm lens (latest) which has a diameter of 82mm. That's the only lens I have with 82mm filtersize – and the reason why I always buy 82mm filters. For all other lenses I use step down rings (82>77, 82>67). :-)
I feel your pain. I have 82mm in that 45mm, 75mm and 300mm. It's not always easy to find new screw-on filters for them.

But maybe ask yourself how much IR photography are you going to be doing. I only do it once in a blue moon and that seems to be about what most everyone else does if you look at the number of IR posts here and on other forums.
10-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #25

Original Poster
I want to try it out so badly, tuco, that I cannot be stopped.
Seriously, I saw the work of Helmut Hirler and Wolfgang Mothes and am totally fascinated by it. They don't shoot with Pentax, I think Mothes uses a Linhof Technorama 617 for the panorama shots. But anyway. I wanna try it.

the 75mm – I got that one, too. One other reason to get a 82mm filter.