Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 TTL with 645D

Does anyone know if this will work with the 645D? I did not see the 645D listed in the drop down menu on Metz's site

Thanks Dan

10-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the 645D recommend the Pentax AF540 flash? If so, then the Metz should probably work with no problem unless Pentax designed the 645 with a new hotshoe mount and protocol. (unlikely I would think)
10-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Michael......Considering the camera has been out for a bit you would think they would update compatibility.
BTW....How do you like your Metz?
10-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I love it but I'm probably biased towards Metz.

I have the 58 AF-2 for my Pentax and a 58 AF-1 for my Nikon D80 along with several of Metz's old hammerhead style flashes from the 1980s.

Actually, the quickest & best way of seeing if it is compatible is by sending an email to Metz technical support in Germany, the address should be on their website.

I have asked questions of them in the past and they have been fantastic in answering quickly (generally with 24 hours) with the information I wanted. That's one reason I like using Metz equipment.

Perhaps they figured that the 645d would be more of a studio camera and didn't figure you'd want to use a hotshoe flash with it.

10-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks again Michael, I just got the 645D on Thur. and have not had the chance to use it much. This is my first time using Pentax and I really like the reviews of the camera so I took the big plunge. I have my D3X and Nikon 200-400 up for sale but still kept one body and 3 Nikon lenses for various jobs. I will be sending an email to Metz, from what I have read about the Pentax 540 it makes me nervous so I think I will pass on it. Heading up to Algonquin to try out the camera just wish I had more than one lens

Dan
10-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #6

Hi Dan & All

Dan, I responded to your post on the other forum but will repeat what I wrote so others can also view my response. A while ago I quickly tested out this Metz flash (on the 645D) with some quick and dirty test shots. I of course used the one specific for Pentax TTL. Exposures were good but the focal length readouts on the rear LCD of the flash were way off when one takes into acc't the 645D crop factor. The current Pentax equivenlent flash did better in this regard but it too was not exacting in reporting the resulting focal length of the lens used, taking into acc't the approx. 0.8 crop factor. Interestinly where the Pentax flash got it right some of the time (with some lenses), it didn't with others. Of course all lenses used were FA 645 lenses that report their focal length to the camera.

There are many thinks I like with regards to this particular Metz flash, having used this exact same model (except Nikon TTL) with my Nikon D3...but felt with the Pentax flash getting the focal length reported more correctly, it was best to go with that one. I doubt it would make much of a difference (except for exif data) it's primarily just a read-out and exposures should be determined by the TTL itself.

The one advanatage of the Penatx flash is in a 2+ flash set-up...in ease of wireless communication. Just my take.

As an aside, I used to love going to Algonquin, especially this time of year. It was a very long trip for me but combining kayaking with photograpgy, was a match made in heaven. Love to see some pics upon your return.

Dave (D&A)
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DandA Quote
Hi Dan & All

Dan, I responded to your post on the other forum but will repeat what I wrote so others can also view my response. A while ago I quickly tested out this Metz flash (on the 645D) with some quick and dirty test shots. I of course used the one specific for Pentax TTL. Exposures were good but the focal length readouts on the rear LCD of the flash were way off when one takes into acc't the 645D crop factor. The current Pentax equivenlent flash did better in this regard but it too was not exacting in reporting the resulting focal length of the lens used, taking into acc't the approx. 0.8 crop factor. Interestinly where the Pentax flash got it right some of the time (with some lenses), it didn't with others. Of course all lenses used were FA 645 lenses that report their focal length to the camera.

There are many thinks I like with regards to this particular Metz flash, having used this exact same model (except Nikon TTL) with my Nikon D3...but felt with the Pentax flash getting the focal length reported more correctly, it was best to go with that one. I doubt it would make much of a difference (except for exif data) it's primarily just a read-out and exposures should be determined by the TTL itself.

The one advanatage of the Penatx flash is in a 2+ flash set-up...in ease of wireless communication. Just my take.

As an aside, I used to love going to Algonquin, especially this time of year. It was a very long trip for me but combining kayaking with photograpgy, was a match made in heaven. Love to see some pics upon your return.

Dave (D&A)
I fired off an email to Metz over a week ago and still have not a responce. I still have my Nikon SB-900 and can use that in SU-4 to be able to use two flashes. Also have a SB-800 but that is for sale to pay for the new flash for the 645D.

03-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Did Metz ever reply and what did you get in the end?

Hello Mr Clark
I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but did you ever receive a reply from Metz please, and what was the outcome?
Did you get a ringflash in the end, and if so which one?
I'm also very interested to know what the fastest sync speed is with the 645D, or is that governed by the particular flash used? The only reference I can see to sync speed in the manual is 1/125 but presumably the option for faster shutter exists?
Before getting the 645D I had a Canon 65mm MPE lens and their (rather overpriced) MT-24EX twin macro flash unit. Everything Canon was sold to fund the 645D purchase, but I've just managed to pick up a Pentax 120mm F/4 macro.
With the Canon setup I was mainly shooting handheld and at magnification of between 1:1 and 2:1, firing three or four shot bursts in the hope that at least one would be in focus. I used the flash in manual mode, doing some test shots first until I got satisfactory settings. In fairness I didn't use it a great deal, but when I did there were some keepers I liked and in anycase it was quick and good fun (the opposite of virtually everything else I do using a tripod!).
With the Pentax I would like to try handheld shots mainly between 3:1 to 1:1 so hopefully easier to get in focus and sharp also if I can get a faster shutter speed than 1/125.
So any advice you have would be really helpful.
Incidentally I have a small, eBay purchased video LED unit, that can be attached to a hotshoe, and did a very quick test using that for illumination with the 645D on a tripod, and that gave a pretty pleasing light, but insufficient light to get above 1/60 second. Useful for tripod use though.
Thanks.
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
This is the one that was purchased

Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 TTL Shoe Mount Flash MZ 58327PS B&H Photo
03-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newmoon Quote
With the Pentax I would like to try handheld shots mainly between 3:1 to 1:1 so hopefully easier to get in focus and sharp also if I can get a faster shutter speed than 1/125.
Sync time controls ambient exposure, not flash time. Or in other words, the pictures will be sharp at any shutter speed. Try it with a normal flash (that I assume you already have), any exposure that's about four stops or more underexposed without flash will be sharp with the flash.

(Also, 3:1 would be "three times life size", you probably meant 1:3.)
03-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Sync time controls ambient exposure, not flash time. Or in other words, the pictures will be sharp at any shutter speed. Try it with a normal flash (that I assume you already have), any exposure that's about four stops or more underexposed without flash will be sharp with the flash.

(Also, 3:1 would be "three times life size", you probably meant 1:3.)
Thanks. No I've not tried any flash yet, as I don't have any flash units to try with.

Yes it was 3:1! The Canon 65mm MPE goes from life size to 5:1, an unusual lens to be sure, and it takes a lot of patience to use. I have read that some people fit another lens reversed on the front, and that enables them to use the lens normally and focus at infinity.
03-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newmoon Quote
Thanks. No I've not tried any flash yet, as I don't have any flash units to try with.

Yes it was 3:1! The Canon 65mm MPE goes from life size to 5:1, an unusual lens to be sure, and it takes a lot of patience to use. I have read that some people fit another lens reversed on the front, and that enables them to use the lens normally and focus at infinity.
That is extreme macro at 3:1 magnifcation. Just wondering what did you add to magnify that magnification to 3X for pentax. I have a 645 macro lens ie 120 f4 and with 2 extension tubes, will give me 2X magnification. Stopping down the lens for dof and additional tubes will result in loss of light. That will be difficult to capture anything witout additional source of light, even with higher iso.

This set up is going to be heavy. I would need a strong tripod beside a strong biceps

Newmoon, pl post some sample shots on 2 to 3 X magnification, on some insects if its possible

thank you.

marcus
03-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
That is extreme macro at 3:1 magnifcation. Just wondering what did you add to magnify that magnification to 3X for pentax. I have a 645 macro lens ie 120 f4 and with 2 extension tubes, will give me 2X magnification. Stopping down the lens for dof and additional tubes will result in loss of light. That will be difficult to capture anything witout additional source of light, even with higher iso.

This set up is going to be heavy. I would need a strong tripod beside a strong biceps

Newmoon, pl post some sample shots on 2 to 3 X magnification, on some insects if its possible

thank you.

marcus
Marcus - I may have misled you, I haven't been doing this with Pentax, and am not planning to. With Pentax I was thinking more third life size, and when I look at what I've been experimenting with it actually works out less than that. When I was using the Canon 65mm MPE lens that had a macro range between 1:1 and 5:1, but I don't think I used it handheld larger than 2:1.
04-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #14

Just as a point of interest, I have been using a Metz SCA 300 for longer than I can remember on my 645. I now use it for event shoots with great success on my 645D.