Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #1

Sticky Shutter on 645

So my winnings at the auction showed up the other day and I have run a few rolls of film through it. However I noticed on my Pentax 645 that if I set the camera down for a few hours or overnight and go to snap a photo that the shutter sticks. Even if I set the shutter to 1/125 it clicks and stays open for 5-20 seconds. This only happens when it has been resting for 3+ hours between exposures. At first I thought it was a weak battery issue so I replaced it with fresh batteries and it still does this. However I am using rechargeable batteries as opposed to alkaline. The alkalines are 1.5v and the rechargeable AAs are 1.2v Would this cause issues? Does anyone else use rechargeable batteries without issue? On all my digital equipment (flashes/D7000 etc.) the rechargeable batteries work flawlessly. Or maybe I just have a sticky shutter?

Any insights would be much appreciated.

jay

10-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #2

Have you tried with alkalines to see if it shows the same behaviour ? I can't tell about the rechargeable ones, I'm using alkalines with my 645Nii.
Maybe there is some lubricant issue on the shutter and the oil/grease is not as efficient as it used to be and the shutter gets stuck until there is enough energy to unjam it.
10-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
It is still doing it with the brand new alkaline batteries...I shot 5 frames yesterday..went out today and my first exposure was 1/125th and the shutter snapped and stayed open for 5 seconds..The remainder of the roll it worked flawlessly. Is there anything that could need lubrication? Im at a total loss? It seems like the camera just needs to warm up to get working...kinda like my '66 Pontiac.
10-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

MAYBE:
The camera was sitting around for quite a while and the shutter mechanism chain, lube etc has semi seized.
Working the shutter might loosen them up. If not then the closing mechanism of the shutter curtain needs adjustment, repair or replace.

It was a practice to fire off the shutter in lenses that are not used frequently every few months to keep them in shape.
I use to every two month, put some vinyl on the turntable, pour myself a nice single malt and fire away with all my lenses.

10-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
That could be the issue...I emailed some repair company and they said it sounded like the "shutter magnet" might be dirty....anyone know how to clean this?
10-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's most likely your mirror damper seal has turned to goo. Best way to check, remove the lens and inspect the mirror, gently reach in and touch the mirror edge with your finger. If it's sticky, you will need to replace the seals - probably the ideal time to get the camera CLA'ed if you intend to keep/use the camera for a while.