Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered a roll of Adox

I was ordering some 120 film (Tri-X and Ektar) when the urge hit me to try a roll of Adox CHS 100. Ok, I've actually had the urge for some time. I know it's made with a higher silver content using a dip and dunk machine 1950's style rather than the spray coating modern film gets. Anyone used this film in their 645 and what were your impressions of the film?

CW

10-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used it in my Pentax 67, and in the Yashica-D, and I was quite pleased with it!

Flickr: Rense Haveman's stuff tagged with adoxchs100art
10-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

CHS 100 = Efke 100 and is a very nice film - I especially like it developed in Rodinal. The emulsion is very soft, so handle it carefully during processing.

"Dip and dunk" and "spray" are methods of developing, not film coating. Photographic film, old or new, has been coated using a machine that flows a thin curtain of liquid emulsion onto the base. For anyone who's interested, there's an excellent book called "Making Kodak Film" by Robert Shanebrook that shows the whole process of film making, available here.

Here's an example of Efke 100.

Last edited by jlandecker; 10-06-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: link added
10-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
I used it in my Pentax 67, and in the Yashica-D, and I was quite pleased with it!

Flickr: Rense Haveman's stuff tagged with adoxchs100art
Very nice. I like what it does with people.

10-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Very nice. I like what it does with people.
me too
10-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlandecker Quote
"Dip and dunk" and "spray" are methods of developing, not film coating. Photographic film, old or new, has been coated using a machine that flows a thin curtain of liquid emulsion onto the base.
From the Adox web site;
"ADOX CHS films are still made according to the recipes from the 1950s and are coated slowly on a historic dip and dunk machine.

This gives them their special character which cannot be achieved by fast modern spray-coating machines and also enables us to produce micro lots of only 10 000 films at a time."

Jlandecker, unfortunately I'm not set up for/nor can I set up a darkroom right now. In fact, I think the last time I did any of my own processing was around 1975. So I'll have to take my chances with Dwayne's or Fototeknika in Jacksonville.

Rense, I'm wondering how it will do with the lovely young lady I will be photographing next week. Although she has lighter skin, she is African-American. I'm sure I'll have to be very careful with my metering.

CW
10-11-2011, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #7

Interesting... I stand corrected!

BTW, there's a nice video about film manufacturing here.

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
From the Adox web site;
"ADOX CHS films are still made according to the recipes from the 1950s and are coated slowly on a historic dip and dunk machine.

This gives them their special character which cannot be achieved by fast modern spray-coating machines and also enables us to produce micro lots of only 10 000 films at a time."

Jlandecker, unfortunately I'm not set up for/nor can I set up a darkroom right now. In fact, I think the last time I did any of my own processing was around 1975. So I'll have to take my chances with Dwayne's or Fototeknika in Jacksonville.

Rense, I'm wondering how it will do with the lovely young lady I will be photographing next week. Although she has lighter skin, she is African-American. I'm sure I'll have to be very careful with my metering.

CW

10-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlandecker Quote
Interesting... I stand corrected!

BTW, there's a nice video about film manufacturing here.
Very interresting ! I am wondering how they do it today...