Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #1

Why won't my lightmeter on my Ashai Pentax 6x7 work?

Hi everybody!
I'm new to this, sorry if this has been already posted but I can't seem to find a solution to this problem.

I currently have a 6x7 with a TTL Pentaprism finder. The light meter in the prism viewfinder never moves, it's always at the very top of +

I've read the manual, the battery light goes on so I'm assuming the battery is fine, I've attached the lens properly yet it still won't work.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

10-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
How is the condition of the TTL? Are there any dents?
Normally, the needle is at the (-) side. if the tiny spring inside the meter is broken then it could send the needle it opposite direction. If this is the case, then it is missing half of its electrical connection. On the off chance, test the meter with the manual mode active. Flip your lens to the "Manual" or stopdown and see if it works in that mode.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-18-2011 at 09:29 AM.
10-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #3

The resistor might need changing...I would send it out to Eric to have it checked. I have a P67 and recently I had it serviced by Eric because the meter was being erratic. Of course, the camera had not been serviced in over a decade, so I guess it was bound to happen.

Alternatively, you can use the digital spot meter instead and forget the metered pentaprism. It would make your camera so much lighter and you can use a WLF.

Last edited by MarieDJ; 10-21-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added one more remark
10-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #4

BTW, which manual did you read? The P67 manual or the Pentaprism manual?

Just in case, I attached the pentaprism manual

Attached Images
File Type: pdf pentax_6x7_pentaprism.pdf (1.32 MB, 224 views)
10-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've read all the manuals but I will follow all your suggestions, thanks guys!